Rouge Royal for Men (2004)
    by Marina de Bourbon

Reviews of Rouge Royal for Men

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 6 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative No Negative Reviews

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

The opening to this is amazing! Imagine M7 without the oud note. I get an herbal cherry opening, reminds me of cherry Halls cough drops. There's a menthol like quality about it, similar to cough drops too, it just goes right up your nose and hits your lungs -- in the best way possible. The honey note becomes very prominent in the middle, as does an exceptionally well done lemon note. As if it couldn't get any better.. the base, I primarily get sandalwood, but to be frank, one of the best and most natural smelling sandalwood phases I have ever smelled, and I LOVE my sandalwood! This fragrance is a true winner, and very inexpensive. Projection is above average as well, and longevity is 8-10 hours on my skin. My only problem is finding the appropriate time to wear this. It can be dressed up or down, but because of the notes, I think it goes better in cooler weather, which is not the season for that right now in Florida. I will be wearing this for sure, after Summer. This fragrance is also very "niche-like", as it is more daring than most of which you would find at the mall. Quality wise, however.. I don't think it is quite niche quality, but it certainly does not smell cheap.

02 June, 2012

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

I have tried to find the notes on this but they seem to be unavailable. I'd guess anise, pepper (possibly with other spices), iris or orris, and vanilla are the major ones. I usually dislike strong anise, but something softens it up here, and it's very pleasant. I also think there's melon or a melon-like note in the top, but it is gone within a couple of hours. This lasts a long time and has very good sillage too. This is quite rich but not as dynamic as one might expect, though it's not "boring," probably because it is so rich. So, it's strong and rich, but also soft, which is what I prefer in a fragrance, though it lacks as much dynamism as I prefer (the anise may be just a bit too strong, preventing the all the notes from interacting as much as I'd like; instead it feels like the anise is bullying the other notes) . Still, there aren't many fragrances that are excellent in every way, and this one is very, very close, so of course it deserves a positive rating. It also cost me about $14 for 100 ml, and I'd call it "unisex."

14 July, 2009

Excelsior's avatar
    Excelsior

A very sweet spice fragrance, smells very red. The opening is all about cinnamon, and after a little bit it calms down into a pleasingly warm floral smell, although the cinnamon note sticks around throughout to give it a nice spicy edge. Supposedly, there's some citrus in there as well, but I don't smell it. It's very strong, a couple sprays and it's still with me the day after. Overall, not as dynamic as I would have liked, but it's nonetheless a very nice fragrance for winter and evening wear, and it smells very unique compared to similar fragrances I've tried.

11th January, 2008

moonrat's avatar
    moonrat

Rouge Royal Is a sweet - red - scent. Close to Jacomo Rouge, but not the same. Not too sweet, but still with a noticeable sweetness. Woody with some spice and maybe amber and possible lavender. It's a nice sweet fragrance that is different than Pi or other overly sweet EDTs. Seems would work well for evenings and nights, but with a light application, it could be OK for work.

02 July, 2007

Jon_Remy's avatar
    Jon_Remy

An excellent fragrance for the wintertime. Very red-smelling. An excellent choice for the on-the-go bachelor who is adventurous in the big city.

26 December, 2005

Francois Blais's avatar
    Francois Blais

I just got a bottle of this from my friend Martin.
    It reminds me of ST Dupont Signature; sweet woody ambery scent, with some spices and florals.
    Very nice!