Le Vainqueur (2005)

Le Vainqueur information

Le Vainqueur is a men's fragrance by Rancé 1795. The scent was launched in 2005

Shop for Le Vainqueur products online

Reviews of Le Vainqueur

Showing 1 to 6 of 9 reviews.
    positive 8 Positive Reviewsneutral No Neutral Reviews • negative 1 Negative Reviews

Colin Maillard's avatar

Le Vainqueur ("the winner") by Rancé 1795 is similar to all extents to any masculine cheapie from the 2000s, stuffed with calone, melonal, aldehydes, ambroxan (and other typical delicacies of the XVIII century). A white/azure scent, artificial and metallic, even interesting in its own way for the abstractness of the notes – it does not smell of almost "anything" clear, just pure synthetic nowhere, a series of metallic-aquatic-green suggestions, cold and decontextualised, true to life like a Windows '98 background image. More than to cheap designers, perhaps it is even more similar to floor cleansers. I do not get the placement of such a type of scent in a "neoclassic" line. Ugly per se, and most of all, ugly for the price and the pretentiousness of another made-up "historical" brand (founded in 2003).

28 July, 2014

Oviatt's avatar

A nice modern offering from this venerable French house. The clean, fruity melon in the top notes definitely places this in the modern day, but the lavender and floral heart, combined with a salty, musky, woody base put this squarely in the classical French fragrance category. A great option for someone in tune with the present but with a desire to reference the past. Would Napoleon ever have worn this? I do not think so--too fruity--but wearing this could be a great way to bring out the conquering hero in all of us. Beautiful bottle and packaging and a solid addition to any aspiring emperor's collection.

23 July, 2014

drseid's avatar

Le Vainqueur opens with a nice soft breeze of melon, grapefruit and ginger, mixing with hints of lavender. The lavender becomes the primary heart note, supported by nutmeg and the remaining citrus from the opening. The lavender remains through to the end, adding base note support from a powdery iris and light musk. Projection is average, but longevity is excellent (I got 10-12 hours).

I am not a huge fan of lavender scents, so Le Vainqueur is not really my cup of tea. That said, it is an extremely well-executed scent that should appeal to just about anyone who does like lavender-centric scents. Despite my preferences to the contrary, I have to give Le Vainqueur a thumbs up because it does smell good and it is a quality scent that is worthy of a try for anyone, and maybe even a buy at its relatively sane niche retail price of $120, if the notes are to your liking. Recommended, earning 3 stars out of 5.

14 April, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th December, 2012)

The opening seems modern – grapefruity, melony… and it gives a modern semi-aquatic feeling. The opening, as I usually find in this type of fragrance, is adequate – attractive, even – but it is neither unique nor extremely interesting. The rest of the scent, though, has plenty substance and uniqueness to offer. After the opening, the scent comes across to me as quite abstract. There’s a soft but important animalic note in the background along with a tiny bit of moldy ambiance: I think these are the product of the combination of nutmeg, vetiver, and leather. The abstractness of this accord seems to exist within a more traditional floral / ambergris / musk fragrance. The structure of the scent also seems to be more abstract than traditional: Except for the opening accord which disappears when the citrus is expended, the remainder of the fragrance seems to waft in and out with the notes oscillating in no special order. That soft animalic note that I mentioned provides an implied sexuality in Le Vainqueur, and its character and structure seem more like something Etat Libre d'Orange might construct than what I would expect from a “1795” fragrance.

Le Vainqueur is an intriguing scent. It seems more modern than Napoleonic. I like it but I’m not exactly in love with its aromas; however, I find it quite interesting, very wearable, and beautifully performing.

04 March, 2011

digger51's avatar

I got this in a blind trade. First time I wore it I got a WOW! from a friend. It is fresh and lasts a long time. It settles into a nice spice/musk note that I love to smell.

06 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 23 March, 2011)

tort2's avatar

I purchased Le Vainqueur based upon an article by Liz Upton (Body Odour - or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Musk; http://www.basenotes.net/articles/20080507body-odour.html). The topic regarding musks and animal scents in perfumes intrigued me.

Let me add that one of my passions is bowhunting, and to be successful, a bowhunter must not only master the bow, but learn the ways of the prey and the woods. In particular, the importance of scents and smell (I hunt for the elusive and paranoid animal known as the whitetail deer) cannot be underestimated. If bodily scents from unspeakable glands in animals can turn wary bucks into impertinent, lust filled maggots, what effect would it have on urbane riff raff such as yours truly?

Knowing as I do the nature and importance of scents with wild animals, and not having the opportunity to purchase Luten's MKK, (fly to Paris to buy a perfume? Ain't going to happen). I ordered the next best thing. Le Vainqueur.

First time I smelled it, I was reminded of some obscure woman's perfume my aunt used back in the 60's. Not having a sophisticated nose, I was unable to discern all the notes that reminded me of that perfume (Guerlein, perhaps). I will take them (the creator of said product) at their word that the top notes contain the elements stated on their website.

What I can say is that Le Vainqueur is a warm fragrance. There is something soothing, oily, and definitely dark about it. Dark, yet not without hope. The darkness I speak of is that we encounter while doing something unpleasant; it will hurt possibly and is distasteful, but it will soon come to an end. This is not a fragrance one wears in order to feel refreshed and willing to do something important like the week's laundry. In my humble opinion, this fragrance is what I would wear if I were ever to declare a state of war or amend my will.

Being EDP strength, the longevity is simply ludicrous. A light spray on my chest and inner elbows last for more than 12 hours. And I have relatively dry skin. At work, all my female co-workers respond in a visceral and sensual manner towards me. I do not receive the typical "That smells so clean/nice/sweet" response. Rather, they stand closer and sniff discretely to discern what is it that puzzles them.

I have worn it half a dozen times at work and at play, and the response from women is astounding. Perhaps its the mid notes. After the initial lavender/citrus notes end, the essence of musk/slightly sweaty genitalia takes over. I wish I could be less crude, but to my nose, the unmistakable essence of testosterone mixed with male lubrication is never far from the surface. It threatens to overwhelm the lavender based notes, but retreats at the last moment. But not before those nearby detect the unmistakable sex notes.

In short, this is a complex and intriguing scent. It is not a citrus or earth based fragrance, yet, like the deer in heat lures I use during hunting season, this fragrance does have an unmistakable effect on females (at least those I come into contact with). A wonderful find.

27 August, 2008

Add your review of Le Vainqueur

Search for on eBay United States

Le Vainqueur EDP 100ml/3.4 OZ. by Rance 1795 **UNBOXED/NEW**
    • Time Left: 22 days
    RANCÉ Le Vainqueur EDP 100ml/3.4 OZ. by Rance 1795
    • Time Left: 13 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    RANCE 1795 LE VAINQUEUR 100ML EDP SPRAY!- FREE SHIPPING!
    • Time Left: 19 days