Encens Epicé (2004)

Encens Epicé information

Year of Launch2004

HouseIl Profumo

About Encens Epicé

Encens Epicé is a shared / unisex perfume by Il Profumo. The scent was launched in 2004

Reviews of Encens Epicé

drseid Show all reviews
Encens Epice opens with an odd synthetic smelling resin resembling a cross between sugar sweetened patchouli and rose with mild to moderate vague spice support. Moving to the early heart, the synthetic smelling resin and vague spice remain, joining with vague light woods and low quality frankincense with a faint artificial smelling tobacco undertone. During the late dry-down the composition mellows to bare boned cedar-like semi-vague woods through the finish. Projection is average and longevity well below average at 4-5 hours on skin.

Long time readers of my reviews may have noticed I have fewer "pans" than "raves" in my review history. This is because I primarily sample compositions I expect will appeal to my tastes. Well, every once in a while even with my self-imposed screening I come across duds like Encens Epice, which is a disgusting smelling composition in just about every way imaginable. The open is near unbearable as the resins smell completely artificial and cheap. I liken the accord to mixing benzoin sweetness with completely fake smelling rose and patchouli, with balsamic vinegar added in to the mix. Coupling with that hideous odd smelling mixture are supporting vague spices. I can't really pick out individual spice standouts, but honestly when things smell this bad does it really matter? The tobacco support is very faint and wholly unbelievable. Capping this dismal failure off is a very poor smelling low quality "frankincense," if you want to call it that. The only saving grace for this thing resides in the late dry-down, as the base vague cedar-like woody accord while far from remarkable does smell decent and is a marked improvement from the earlier nose torture. One last area of interest is the performance of Encens Epice is well below par. That may be a positive, however, if your desire is to scrub the composition off tout de suite as I did. The bottom line is the $115 per 100ml Encens Epice is a gargantuan embarrassing failure from its anonymous perfumer, earning it a "poor" to "very poor" 1 to 1.5 stars out of 5 and a huge avoid recommendation.
09th August, 2015
As well as many others, i was thrilled by the resinous opening but a bit disappointed with the soapy, slightly synthetic (just in the effect) woody dry down. The resins are aromatic as coming from conifers and blended with lavender, coriander, may be nutmeg and a touch of labdanum are able to create, at least at the beginning, a sort of incensey and rooty-earthy (due to the note of tobacco) dark woodsy effect enough intriguing and particular. As well as the smell developes it becomes sweeter and lighter (less dense and a bit watery) reminding a sort of aromatic and energizing woodsy bath foam with a cosmetic feel a bit citrusy-lavender. The watery-lavender influence plus some spices, tobacco and mentholated resins create the soapy-cosmetic effect. A touch of patchouli adds sweetness. Longevity and sillage are good as usual for the fragrances by Il Profvmo. Very interesting the blend with Ginger of the same brand.
19th September, 2011 (last edited: 09th April, 2012)
Nice opening, disappointing drydown. Encens Epicé starts with promising resinous notes joined by dark green/brown coniferous with an overall effect that's at the same time smoky but light, deep yet somehow clean. Woods play an important role throughout. In the drydown the scent turns to be a bit sweeter and sort of "synthetic/soapy" (forgive the lack of better words) winking at the "air-freshener" type of stuff.

Not exactly unpleasant but too little incisive for my likes and for its name.
05th September, 2011
On the surface ENCENS EPICE may come across as a very clean, 'laundered' scent. I must admit it is unfortunate that the melange of notes has given rise to a somewhat synthetic vibe. But do not be hasty in dismissing it.

A closer inspection reveals ENCENS EPICE to have a lot more going on. Its use of coriander seeds is unexpected but it works beautifully to bridge the chasm between spicy and resinous. If you enjoy clean fragrances featuring dry resins and coniferous greens, this should be right up your alley. Definitely one of the more interesting incense fragrances I have tested to date. So to the naysayers I say: it's high time for a revisit.
15th August, 2011
A resinous woody fragrance — quite an unusual aroma. I’m having a difficult time categorizing the accords and notes except that there is a lot of wood. I do catch some spice, but my nose doesn’t show me enough spice to warrant the name. The same goes for the incense — oh, the incense is there, but it is recessive. There’s a definite patchouli and that fits in well with the “wood” label. In the drydown there is a tobacco note but I can’t find the opoponax unless it is hiding amongst the resinous accords. I find that the whole fragrance has an undercurrent of synthetic feel. I find that the accords are rather attractive, but there’s nothing in them that holds my interest for very long. My main problem with the fragrance is its lack of personality — lack of direction. It might have something to say, but I’m not hearing it.
22nd December, 2007 (last edited: 16th August, 2011)
Fragrance notes: cypress, larch, incense, “pine tree gems”, coriander seeds, patchouli leaves, opoponax, blond tobacco
As we see, there are very interesting ingredients in Encens Epice (“Spicy Incense”) – and those ingredients deliver an intriguing, complex fragrance. I’m baffled by comments below about the synthetic nature of this scent. To me, it is very natural. The opening is slightly smoky and aromatic. It also has a clean, slightly rubbery smell that is not unpleasant. I have the impression of coniferous and resinous woods (which is what those “gems” are I suppose... resinous beads of sap). The scent is dry but very aromatic and full, with no florals. The wood tones continue to develop, and I really appreciate the cypress which is haunting and evocative. As the incense and patchouli develop, the scent becomes richer and sweeter. Ultimately, I like the front end better than the finish of this scent. I like the beginning dry aromatic aspects. The dry-down is lovely, honeyed and rich, with a faint balsamic/vanilla note. A bit sweet for my taste but many will appreciate it.
10th July, 2007

Add your review of Encens Epicé

Shop for Encens Epicé products online

Shop for Encens Epicé at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Encens Epicé

Member images of Encens Epicé

There are no member images of Encens Epicé yet. Why not be the first?