Encens Epicé (2004)

• Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Average Rating: 3

Based on 15 ratings

Encens Epicé information

Encens Epicé is a unisex fragrance by Il Profumo. The scent was launched in 2004

Reviews of Encens Epicé

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.

Darvant's avatar

As well as many others, i was thrilled by the resinous opening but a bit disappointed with the soapy, slightly synthetic (just in the effect) woody dry down. The resins are aromatic as coming from conifers and blended with lavender, coriander, may be nutmeg and a touch of labdanum are able to create, at least at the beginning, a sort of incensey and rooty-earthy (due to the note of tobacco) dark woodsy effect enough intriguing and particular. As well as the smell developes it becomes sweeter and lighter (less dense and a bit watery) reminding a sort of aromatic and energizing woodsy bath foam with a cosmetic feel a bit citrusy-lavender. The watery-lavender influence plus some spices, tobacco and mentholated resins create the soapy-cosmetic effect. A touch of patchouli adds sweetness. Longevity and sillage are good as usual for the fragrances by Il Profvmo. Very interesting the blend with Ginger of the same brand.

19 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2012)

alfarom's avatar

Nice opening, disappointing drydown. Encens Epicé starts with promising resinous notes joined by dark green/brown coniferous with an overall effect that's at the same time smoky but light, deep yet somehow clean. Woods play an important role throughout. In the drydown the scent turns to be a bit sweeter and sort of "synthetic/soapy" (forgive the lack of better words) winking at the "air-freshener" type of stuff.

Not exactly unpleasant but too little incisive for my likes and for its name.

05 September, 2011

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

On the surface ENCENS EPICE may come across as a very clean, 'laundered' scent. I must admit it is unfortunate that the melange of notes has given rise to a somewhat synthetic vibe. But do not be hasty in dismissing it.

A closer inspection reveals ENCENS EPICE to have a lot more going on. Its use of coriander seeds is unexpected but it works beautifully to bridge the chasm between spicy and resinous. If you enjoy clean fragrances featuring dry resins and coniferous greens, this should be right up your alley. Definitely one of the more interesting incense fragrances I have tested to date. So to the naysayers I say: it's high time for a revisit.

15 August, 2011

A resinous woody fragrance — quite an unusual aroma. I’m having a difficult time categorizing the accords and notes except that there is a lot of wood. I do catch some spice, but my nose doesn’t show me enough spice to warrant the name. The same goes for the incense — oh, the incense is there, but it is recessive. There’s a definite patchouli and that fits in well with the “wood” label. In the drydown there is a tobacco note but I can’t find the opoponax unless it is hiding amongst the resinous accords. I find that the whole fragrance has an undercurrent of synthetic feel. I find that the accords are rather attractive, but there’s nothing in them that holds my interest for very long. My main problem with the fragrance is its lack of personality — lack of direction. It might have something to say, but I’m not hearing it.

22 December, 2007 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Fragrance notes: cypress, larch, incense, “pine tree gems”, coriander seeds, patchouli leaves, opoponax, blond tobacco
    As we see, there are very interesting ingredients in Encens Epice (“Spicy Incense”) – and those ingredients deliver an intriguing, complex fragrance. I’m baffled by comments below about the synthetic nature of this scent. To me, it is very natural. The opening is slightly smoky and aromatic. It also has a clean, slightly rubbery smell that is not unpleasant. I have the impression of coniferous and resinous woods (which is what those “gems” are I suppose... resinous beads of sap). The scent is dry but very aromatic and full, with no florals. The wood tones continue to develop, and I really appreciate the cypress which is haunting and evocative. As the incense and patchouli develop, the scent becomes richer and sweeter. Ultimately, I like the front end better than the finish of this scent. I like the beginning dry aromatic aspects. The dry-down is lovely, honeyed and rich, with a faint balsamic/vanilla note. A bit sweet for my taste but many will appreciate it.

10th July, 2007

themeglet's avatar

I'm trying, really, I am. Il Profumo's web site places Encens Epice in the "oriental, smoky, woody" olfactory family. (Just for the heck of it, and since I have the page open-- EE's "Psychological effect" should "stimulate mental activity, provide serenity and induce to meditation." The Italian description, I'll admit, is somewhat more poetic than the translation...) The point here is that for such a promising (if not eyebrow-raising) description, I'm getting nothing but essence of Glade. More precisely, this is the scent of the waxy air freshener with the push-up plastic cover and gelled substance beneath that turns into hard wax after a month. To my nose, this is sharp and waxy, and should be called "Glade Summer Breeze." The notes of "Glade Summer Breeze": accord de Pine Sol, fabric softener, wax, something burnt (not incense), and possibly lemon. Lovers of this scent, I welcome criticism of my olfactory know-how... but to my nose, this is a "no-no" in profuming. Perfuming.

16 March, 2007