Terre d'Hermès (2006)

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingPhilippe Mouquet

About Terre d'Hermès

Terre d'Hermès – meaning 'Earth of Hermès' – was launched in March 2006. Perfumer, Jean-Claude Ellena was inspired in the creation of the fragrance by the works of author, Jean Giono.

The fragrance features notes of orange, gunflint, flint, vetiver and benzoin. The bottle was designed by Hermès designer, Philippe Mouquet, and features an 'H' cut into the base of the bottle.

The fragrance was joined by a Parfum version in 2009, and more recently Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche in 2014.

Hermès say:

The history of an alchemic journey through the elements: earth, air and water. A woody, vegetal and mineral eau de toilette

Terre d'Hermès fragrance notes

Reviews of Terre d'Hermès

This is an odd duck. Smelling it in the bottle, I get cedar and dill (yeah, I know, weird - I'm aware there's no dill in the notes). When I spray it on me I get cedar and rotten orange, with some dirt. The notes are high quality, and hours later I can smell the cedar and mysterious pickle note, but it's just a bit odd. I could see how some people could like this, but this is just too much on the odd duckling side for me.
28th January, 2016
Original, sophisticated, alluring, classy, elegant, long-lasting.
Masterpiece. Best designer fragrance release between 2000-2010, imho.

25th December, 2015
I won't buy again, but I like this fragrance. The orange note is more orange rind and smells organic, very earthy. I find this scent oldmanish and I am an old man. It is just very thick and pungent. The orange saves it from being moth balls in a hot wood closet or sweaty gym socks. So i would call this a fresh old man fragrance. Aventus is a better all around interpretation of this IMO.
04th December, 2015
This to me smells like a lemon/orange completely dried in hot sun + the smell of the earth when it rains for the first time.

Love this stuff.

Projection: 9/10
Longevity: 10+ hrs easily

16th November, 2015
Generally fragrances that I don't like still have some pleasing aspect that keeps me from giving them a thumbs-down. It's a rare rating for me to give. Unfortunately there's not a single pleasant part to this entire fragrance. It feels like a work in progress I might have made in my own kitchen with chemicals from The Perfumer's Apprentice that I'm on the verge of scrapping.

It starts with synthetic-smelling, dry citrus. Cedar and vetiver are sort of poking through. I get the "flint" pretty quickly too. It all winds up smelling rocky and metallic.

Then there's the Iso E. What happened? It smells like a mistake to me. It's not a scent I find pleasing unless it's blended with something else at a fairly low level. Of course it projects and gets compliments so if that's what you're after this scent would certainly be effective.

The first time I tried this it was a scrubber. I wore it some more but just never "got it". I'm not a snob for natural ingredients but this is too much. It really does smell like scaffolding for a fragrance around which the true scent hasn't been built yet.

There are few things I think would improve this. In the top, some natural citrus. In the middle, maybe a light floral accord. It can even be tucked in the background. Even an herbal accord with no florals would help. In the base maybe some nice true-smelling woods. Cut the Iso E by about 1/10, replace it with real woods, and this would still be a projection monster but would actually smell pleasant. Any one of those three changes would bring it up to neutral, and all three would be a thumbs-up. As it stands though, it's a stack of plywood and 2x4s claiming to be a house.
13th November, 2015
Went neutral on this because I have a love/hate relationship with TdH.

On one hand, it is very powerful - unmistakeable even. It goes on thick and just keeps getting thicker - for the days you just need to be a two-legged airfreshener, TdH is superb.

On the other, it can be too strong. I've found myself putting one or two spritzes of this on in the morning, and still reeking of it by the evening. If you work or wear it in an enclosed environment, be warned - althought it is a generally 'nice' fragrance other people may not thank you for wearing it!

I do like it, I like how it goes on, I like how it dries down but it is no longer a go-to fragrance, it gets used when I'm out in the fresh air, rather than in the office, or as a "I can't be bothered" type of fragrance when out on an alcoholic night out.
05th November, 2015

Add your review of Terre d'Hermès

Shop for Terre d'Hermès products online

Shop for Terre d'Hermès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Terre d'Hermès