Terre d'Hermès (2006)

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingPhilippe Mouquet

About Terre d'Hermès

Terre d'Hermès – meaning 'Earth of Hermès' – was launched in March 2006. Perfumer, Jean-Claude Ellena was inspired in the creation of the fragrance by the works of author, Jean Giono.

The fragrance features notes of orange, gunflint, flint, vetiver and benzoin. The bottle was designed by Hermès designer, Philippe Mouquet, and features an 'H' cut into the base of the bottle.

The fragrance was joined by a Parfum version in 2009, and more recently Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche in 2014.

Hermès say:

The history of an alchemic journey through the elements: earth, air and water. A woody, vegetal and mineral eau de toilette

Terre d'Hermès fragrance notes

Reviews of Terre d'Hermès

What kind of "terre" could this be? Perhaps a parched, uninhabited island: some dusty rocks, dry sandy soil, a few juiceless laurel shrubs blown by a hot wind. A stunted orange tree. A few spent gun cartridges lying in the dirt under a burning sun. No living creatures to be found -- at least nothing with blood in its veins. Pristine.
15th September, 2017
Turn in the road by Paul Cezanne 1881
01st September, 2017
So this is the second day that I put a cologne on and could tell it was fading as soon as I put it on. I'm beginning to think that the store that I'm buying these samples from his either watering these perfumes down for, or, the perfume houses understand that Americans want the idea of putting clothes on but are so afraid of being offensive that the manufactures have got the juice down to where you'll only smell them 30 minutes after you put them on. So I dumped the entire 1 mL sample on my head (I usually put cologne on the back of my head/neck) Easily the worst experience of all the samples that I've tried so far. This one was disappearing before I got out of the locker room. It's got some nice notes I can smell the Cedar and lime. I can smell the notes that I like. However it's gone off. Longevity poor projection worse than poor

Edit. So after an entire day wearing this I may have changed my mind. It is now over 12 hrs later and I still sense it. Other reviewers said it was one dimensional, I agree, there isn't so much notes as note, but it is there all day. I'm not sure if it is because I have never used pure perfume before, because I swear there was nothing there when I put it on, but as I wore it, it settled into, I dunno, citrus? Grapefruit? My girlfriend has to be in my personal space i.e. Kissing me to smell it. She said she likes it, but doesn't love it. I'm going to try the edt and order another edp just to see if there is a there there
15th July, 2017
What a wonderful, mature and classy fragrance. 'Terre D' Hermes' by Hermes is a great scent for the spring, summer and even fall months, with superb performance.

Initial blast is oranges and vetiver, with a hint of cedarwood. A hint of pepper and what seems to be floral notes are also detected. As it dries down and settles, the vetiver and orange really stay fairly prominent, layered over what is undoubtedly cedarwood and a bit of patchouli note.

The base is mainly vetiver and cedarwood, and surprisingly the orange top note carries itself mildly all the way through the life of the fragrance. It smells very nice, an expensive and distinguished smell that is very likable but definitely for the 30+ man who dresses to impress and is well spoken.

Longevity with a liberal application of a dozen sprays (neck, shoulders, chest and wrists) is about 10-12+ hours, and at least a week or two on clothes and fabrics. The projection is steady, and sillage is good and never cloying or headache inducing. Very safe for work, close encounters and professional engagements.

This is a perfect signature fragrance for the professional man over thirty years of age who dresses well, speaks articulately and wants a scent that can be worn in any season and at any occasion.
17th June, 2017
Just could not get into this. From reading the reviews I feel like I was wearing a completely different fragrance than everyone else. Silage is good. Longevity was around 10 hours. Just too bad that this wasn't for me.
15th June, 2017
I remember smelling this when it first came out and immediatly throwing away the blotter because of the harsh opening. Ten years later I sprayed a second blotter with the EDT and this time I was mesmerized by it. The raw earthiness and maturity it evoked won me over big time. Without further testing I found my self picking up a 50 ml bottle and used most of it during that fall.

By the time winter arrived I started wearing it less and less. At first I could not explain why, since it got me several compliments here and there. I had no problems with the performance. It has both stellar longevity and sillage. I remember spraying myself and leaving the house and hours later when I got back, my parents told me the smell lingered in the room for a while after I've been gone. And then it hit me.

One day, during the drydown, I started feeling nauseated. I did some research and I guess I have to blame the Iso-E Super for the headaches.
I read lots of similar reactions by people describing somewhat of a chemical smell that made them feel nauseus. I cannot be certain if it's the Iso-E Super or not but I am certain that this is not a scent I want to repurchase. I can understand why some people love it, it is truly very versatile and unique, it has great performance, it's an all season friendly scent and definitely signature worthy. Seems to tick all the right boxes, but alas this is not for me.

Maybe in the future I'll give the EDP a chance, but right now I feel that I really need to distance my self from the Terre D'Hermes DNA and let time decide if it's one that I'll want to have again in my wardrobe.
06th June, 2017

Add your review of Terre d'Hermès

Shop for Terre d'Hermès products online

Shop for Terre d'Hermès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Terre d'Hermès