Terre d'Hermès (2006)

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingPhilippe Mouquet

About Terre d'Hermès

Terre d'Hermès – meaning 'Earth of Hermès' – was launched in March 2006. Perfumer, Jean-Claude Ellena was inspired in the creation of the fragrance by the works of author, Jean Giono.

The fragrance features notes of orange, gunflint, flint, vetiver and benzoin. The bottle was designed by Hermès designer, Philippe Mouquet, and features an 'H' cut into the base of the bottle.

The fragrance was joined by a Parfum version in 2009, and more recently Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche in 2014.

Hermès say:

The history of an alchemic journey through the elements: earth, air and water. A woody, vegetal and mineral eau de toilette

Terre d'Hermès fragrance notes

Reviews of Terre d'Hermès

I remember smelling this when it first came out and immediatly throwing away the blotter because of the harsh opening. Ten years later I sprayed a second blotter with the EDT and this time I was mesmerized by it. The raw earthiness and maturity it evoked won me over big time. Without further testing I found my self picking up a 50 ml bottle and used most of it during that fall.

By the time winter arrived I started wearing it less and less. At first I could not explain why, since it got me several compliments here and there. I had no problems with the performance. It has both stellar longevity and sillage. I remember spraying myself and leaving the house and hours later when I got back, my parents told me the smell lingered in the room for a while after I've been gone. And then it hit me.

One day, during the drydown, I started feeling nauseated. I did some research and I guess I have to blame the Iso-E Super for the headaches.
I read lots of similar reactions by people describing somewhat of a chemical smell that made them feel nauseus. I cannot be certain if it's the Iso-E Super or not but I am certain that this is not a scent I want to repurchase. I can understand why some people love it, it is truly very versatile and unique, it has great performance, it's an all season friendly scent and definitely signature worthy. Seems to tick all the right boxes, but alas this is not for me.

Maybe in the future I'll give the EDP a chance, but right now I feel that I really need to distance my self from the Terre D'Hermes DNA and let time decide if it's one that I'll want to have again in my wardrobe.
06th June, 2017
Terre d'Hermes opens with a short blast of semi-sweet citrus and bright, freshly-sanded cedar. Very quickly, the citrus retreats into the background and the cedar, prominent but suddenly mellowed and aged - is joined with earthy moss and maybe just a tiny hint of musty mildew. It reminds me of rainy fall days spent at my family's cottage in the mountains. This will definitely be in my fall/winter rotation.
09th May, 2017
Ticks all the boxes. My most complimented fragrance ever. Smell expensive and classy. Goes great with a suit. Makes you feel at the top of your game. Wouldn't be without it! Nothing more to say.
02nd May, 2017
I feel like this is a really unique scent beyond my ability to describe in any helpful way. I smelled the orange, the gunflint and the vetiver. It's elemental, earthy.

The more I smelled this and wore it, the more I liked it and came to appreciate its quality.

If you're like me and you expect your scents to last, this one gets you through a whole day easily. Really terrific longevity for me.

It's very unique IMO, but not something I imagine women falling over themselves to smell.

However, this one gets a 10 from me.

30th April, 2017
Stopped in for a tie, left switching from a tie connoisseur to a fragrance aficionado. The Hermes employee had opened up the world of fine fragrance to me with Terre. When I smelled it all I could think of was just how high class it smelled, as if I were in a very nice house with the finest woodwork you could imagine and it was giving off a citrus vibe after just being cleaned, and that is why this is my signature fragrance, that and a bundle of memories that go with it!
25th April, 2017
I'll be honest. This type of scent is not my favorite - I'm not really a fan of the more earthy, woody, or for that matter, aquatic/blue sort of scents though that last one doesn't apply as much here.

But having said that, I don't always like to stay inside my box and as I'm on a fun journey to try as many great fragrances as I can, I enjoy trying ones with great reviews, even if the notes aren't my usual thing (my usual thing, incidentally being variations on the theme of Oriental, whether it be oriental spicy or fragrances that are quite fruity and/or floral).

But anyway, I thought this was very good! Despite my resistance to these sort of scents, I was able to appreciate this one's clean and pure freshness. And I agree with those that said it smells "expensive" and "classy".

However, I didn't find it had that much projection or great staying power with me. I tried the EDT. I would be curious to try the EDP. I mean, it wasn't bad for a couple of hours, but then it became much more subtle or as my co-worker described it - "mild".

Overall, probably too "mild" for me to fall in love with, but a nice, likable and safe scent overall, and good for spring.
19th April, 2017

Add your review of Terre d'Hermès

Shop for Terre d'Hermès products online

Shop for Terre d'Hermès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Terre d'Hermès