Terre d'Hermès (2006)

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingPhilippe Mouquet

About Terre d'Hermès

Terre d'Hermès – meaning 'Earth of Hermès' – was launched in March 2006. Perfumer, Jean-Claude Ellena was inspired in the creation of the fragrance by the works of author, Jean Giono.

The fragrance features notes of orange, gunflint, flint, vetiver and benzoin. The bottle was designed by Hermès designer, Philippe Mouquet, and features an 'H' cut into the base of the bottle.

The fragrance was joined by a Parfum version in 2009, and more recently Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche in 2014.

Hermès say:

The history of an alchemic journey through the elements: earth, air and water. A woody, vegetal and mineral eau de toilette

Terre d'Hermès fragrance notes

Reviews of Terre d'Hermès

Sorry, but its smog to me. The ISO E seeps through horribly. I concur with emberfly's evaluation. TDH has a quite unique fragrance throughout, unmistakable. But it is unfriendly. It's uptight. " It just really isn't pleasant; I don't get it. It doesn't smell BAD, but it detracts from a person's presence, in my opinion. It's not a positive attribute, to wear this fragrance." It would be a great fragrance for an attorney to wear in chambers or with opposing counsel. It is intimidating. It does not befriend. I'd pick it as the House Fragrance for the IRS. Smog.
25th December, 2016 (last edited: 26th December, 2016)
To me, perhaps because of reformulation, this smells fresh, inoffensive, and is quite weak. Good thing I got the big bottle, as extra sprays are needed.

Clean laundry with a hint of orange. I like it, but it isn't amazing. I wish I had the original.
17th November, 2016
Very distinct in the opening, comes out with razor sharp pepper in combination with flower and wood.
It gets more flowery and citrus-zesty as it dries down.
It stays clean, sharp and woody, very masculine .
This cologne would in my opinion be perfect for the 40+ aged man in suit and tie.If moderately applied it would be OK to use in the office .Perfect for formal occasions.
The longevity is very good , and projection is great.
Quality stuff, definately on my top 10 list.

But hey, somehow i smell hyacinth in this , especially in the opening.Am I the only one?

03rd November, 2016
My biggest compliment getter so far.
This is fresh, long lasting, dirty, stimulating and I haven't smelled anything quite like it in my relatively short time exploring fragrances.
People have complimented the vetiver note in the dry down and my wife has definitely picked up the pepper.
For me, the dominant notes are the flint and then the benzoin and cedarwood. The citrus opening for me is fleeting.
Great longevity and I can see myself wearing this all year round adjusting the sprays accordingly.
9/10.
02nd November, 2016
I get it. I finally tried TdH and I get why it's so talked about. It came in an order of samples that I based on positive BN reviews.

To me, the opening is spiced oranges and lemons. It seems both bitter and juicy, and the presence of peppers is fleeting but influential. It is much tamer than I expected, but it remains curious in spite of its understatedness. I suppose "subtle but interesting" fits perfectly.
the drydown is like the crunch of dry twigs under walking feet, undeniably evergreen. It reminds me of elemi, almost pickled in a way: peppercorns, peppers, and the back-end of citrus.
The kind of subtle, okay-in-an-elevator fragrance that is unlike anything I've ever smelled. Glad I followed suit!
06th October, 2016 (last edited: 05th October, 2016)
Terre D'Hermes
- Smells old, like an older man who goes to a very rigid or strict job/workplace that he doesn't particularly like. It doesn't smell pleasant or relaxed. It totally reminds me of an older man. Like I could see my father or a grandfather wearing this.

In terms of the actual scent, I'm not sure how to describe it. Terre is not a good description -- it doesn't smell earthy. It smells like cologne. Like when I envision what cologne smells like, this is it. Unpleasant, "masculine", a
bit weird. It just really isn't pleasant; I don't get it. It doesn't smell BAD, but it detracts from a person's presence, in my opinion. It's not a positive attribute, to wear this fragrance.

This fragrance is classified by others as "citrusy." I feel like this description isn't useful. Sure there is a slight citrus note to it, but that's not what characterizes this fragrance at all. I get a lot of really strong woody notes. I almost picture the inside of a cigar box. Perhaps rubbed with a bit of pinesol, but not too much, as it's mostly the wood you smell.

It's ultimately not a fragrance that I like AT ALL.

In summary, this fragrance might suit a very uptight old man (60+) who never smiles or enjoys life. That characterizes this fragrance well. It is not for the young, it is not for the joyful. It is for some old high ranking military official or government official. It smells very stiff and uptight. Certainly unpleasant.
30th September, 2016

Add your review of Terre d'Hermès

Shop for Terre d'Hermès products online

Shop for Terre d'Hermès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Terre d'Hermès