Terre d'Hermès (2006)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 1914 ratings

Terre d'Hermès Fragrance Notes

Terre d'Hermès information

Terre d'Hermès – meaning 'Earth of Hermès' – was launched in March 2006. Perfumer, Jean-Claude Ellena was inspired in the creation of the fragrance by the works of author, Jean Giono.

The fragrance features notes of orange, gunflint, flint, vetiver and benzoin. The bottle was designed by Hermès designer, Philippe Mouquet, and features an 'H' cut into the base of the bottle.

The fragrance was joined by a Parfum version in 2009, and more recently Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche in 2014.

Hermès say:

The history of an alchemic journey through the elements: earth, air and water. A woody, vegetal and mineral eau de toilette

Shop for Terre d'Hermès products online

50ml EdT
    100ml EdT
    100ml EdT

Reviews of Terre d'Hermès

Showing 1 to 6 of 431 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

The first thing I notice in Terre d'Hermes is vetiver, tempered with a very light touch of citrus. Dry woody notes soon follow, and I think that these, in combination with the vetiver, create the "earthy" or "soil" accord so often noted in this scent.

The woods and vetiver stay very much front and center, rounded out by some very discreet floral notes. I get an occasional whiff of spice and incense, especially in the remarkably pronounced sillage. There is also an unusual note that suggests ash. Not tobacco ash, and not smoke, but old, cold ash, as from a long abandoned fireplace. The drydown reveals quite a bit of conifer, which melds with the vetiver in a lingering "forest" accord that I find quite pleasant.

I place Terre d'Hermes as a cumin-free, vetiver-seasoned derivative of Elléna’s earlier Déclaration. Terre d’Hermès is every bit as dry as Déclaration, but it’s also a cleaner, less angular, and less aggressive scent, which may account for its great popularity. It’s still a somewhat austere fragrance, though very easy to wear and very unlikely to offend. For this reason I could see it as a really fine business or office scent. A perfectly good, if not a terribly exciting fragrance, and certainly nothing that I have to own.

05 July, 2014

bFlay's avatar

A mostly "nice enough" fragrance that isn't worth the hype and accolades or the premium price point. Opens with a nice, but very common, pure orange oil note. This softens to a watery, mineral vibe that is somewhat unique...but only a little. Dry down presents very light, almost ephemeral peppery floral heart. I really don't get much cedar or patchouli. I think those notes should be bold and unequivocal. They are not in TERRE d'HERMES. Very minimal projection...undiscernable from 10 feet away. This isn't bad at all, just doesn't make much of a statement...

13 June, 2014

Captain's avatar

Unapologetic uber wood, pungent, bright with a touch of bitterness. Is there a slight sulphur feel or is that just the power of suggestion? I feel something off kilter and unique which keeps it firmly out of the main stream. There’s a reason this is a love or hate fragrance, for sure. It leaves a mostly cedar dry down that lasts at least 6 hours. If only Eau des Merveilles lasted this long!

03 June, 2014

EmeraldSkye's avatar

Sweden Sweden

The first time I ever smelled Terre d'Hermes was on an airplane. My husband sat down next to me, and after a minute or two I started sniffing the air. "What is that smell?" It was everywhere and nowhere, elusive and pervasive. I couldn't trace it to him, and he only shrugged his shoulders "I don't know. I tried something at the tax free store, maybe that's it?" He said it was Terre d'Hermes, but I dismissed it as this smell was nothing like "terre"(earth). It was as unearthly as possible, more like ocean and sky, oxygen and ozone. Having finally tried it myself back home, I had to admit that this misnamed marvel was in fact what I had first sensed on the plane. Now, several years later, my son wears it as his signature scent, and I still react the same way. Sniffing the air I ask: "What is that, where does it come from?" and then: "Oh...".

So how about the "terre"? Well, perhaps wet earth. The feeling you get deep into a forest after the rain, wet pine needles, wet moss. Or else, what I really feel: sky over ocean, nothing but air and space and water and something undefinable. Everywhere and nowhere.

31st May, 2014

D_Dar's avatar

This starts off with a great citrus top note, sort of like a very "mature" orange. (By "mature" I mean bitter orange.) This phase lasts for a nice period of time and is modified by some pepper and pelargonium notes, citrus still present for me in the middle notes. There is a strong presence of a mineral-ish note all throughout the top and middle notes (Flint maybe / slate-y smell)...As the fragrance evolves it become drier and a bit earthier with a nice bit of cedar and very tiny hint of patchouli.

I have been using this for 3 years now and is my olfactory signature now... It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, highly non-conformist and individualistic. and in my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser so if you're looking for a "acqua di gio" kinda thing... this probably isn't for you....

Longevity is massive... 10-12 hours on my skin and projection is really really good (without being overpowering)... but definitely sample some before you buy it... especially considering how expensive it is...

26 May, 2014

govindbn's avatar

Singapore Singapore

I bought this perfume mainly because of the hype and also since I like fresh/lemony/citrusy fragrances. They tend to work well in an office environment. I get the earthy orange accord and nothing else.
    On my skin, longevity sucks. Projection & sillage aren't wonderful either.
    It doesn't get a thumbs down because I don't think its a bad fragrance.

11th May, 2014

Add your review of Terre d'Hermès

Search for on eBay United States

• 15 Bid(s)
    • Time Left:
    HIGHEST BID
    (Shipping from United States)
    5PC Hermes TERRE D'HERMES Eau Tres Fraiche MEN 2ML x 5 PCS Spray vials NEW !!
    • Time Left: 13 days
    TERRE D'HERMES BY HERMES 6.7 OZ EDT SPRAY MEN COLOGNE NIB SEALED
    • Time Left: 8 days
    Various Men's Fragrance Sample Vials Travel Size
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    (Shipping from United States)
    Terre D'Hermes by Hermes EDT Spray 3.3 oz./100 ml. for Men *Tester(sku:2414)
    Brand New Hermes Terre D'Hermes 3.4 oz Eau De Toilette Spray
    Hermès ~Terre d’Hermès~ Eau de Toilette 3.3oz *New Original Tester*
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 23 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Terre D'Hermes for MEN 2.5 oz./ 75 ml.Pure Perfume Spray *Tester(sku:14571)
    Terre D Hermes 0.42 oz Mini Edt Spray By Hermes For Men New in Box