Terre d'Hermès (2006)

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingPhilippe Mouquet

About Terre d'Hermès

Terre d'Hermès – meaning 'Earth of Hermès' – was launched in March 2006. Perfumer, Jean-Claude Ellena was inspired in the creation of the fragrance by the works of author, Jean Giono.

The fragrance features notes of orange, gunflint, flint, vetiver and benzoin. The bottle was designed by Hermès designer, Philippe Mouquet, and features an 'H' cut into the base of the bottle.

The fragrance was joined by a Parfum version in 2009, and more recently Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche in 2014.

Hermès say:

The history of an alchemic journey through the elements: earth, air and water. A woody, vegetal and mineral eau de toilette

Terre d'Hermès fragrance notes

Reviews of Terre d'Hermès

To my nose, Terre d'Hermes opens with a sharp, refreshing blast of cedar, and then settles down to a musky orange. If there are other notes, I can't detect them. Excellent projection and longevity. By no means a bad scent, but not my cup of tea, and not worth the premium. Once the cedar note fades, it smells much like Pinaud's Citrus Musk, available in drugstores ($10 for a 12 oz bottle).
29th April, 2015
There's not really much I can add to the conversation about Terre D'Hermes except to add another positive review, because to me this isn't a four. This should be a 4.5 at minimum, but to me it is a five--a perfect 10.

This fragrance is gorgeous and delicious. It is crisp, clean, fresh, and warm. It also has great projection and longevity.

It does smell mostly just like oranges but with a lot more going on. I ordered a sample of this along with the eau tres fraiche, and I originally preferred the eau tres fraiche, but as they settled the original became the winner. It has a smokey darkness to it that really goes along well with orange citrus notes.

I find this to be on the other end of the spectrum of Creed Aventus--it's an Orange version of Aventus that is more smokey and warm than Aventus. I prefer this to Aventus and it won't put nearly as much of a dent in your wallet.

As far as projection and longevity, I dabbed a little on my forearm over 6 hours ago and I am still getting passing whiffs of it from time to time.

Terre D'Hermes is a winner all around. It should be in every collection.
06th April, 2015
Sorry I don't get the hype with this one. Sure it is a clean citrus based fragrance but doesn't jump out to me as being anything special. I'm glad I sampled it but I would rather spend my money on a fragrance that isn't so generic.
13th March, 2015
This was not a "love at first sight" by any means. Originally I detested what for me was a rotten oranges opening and a strong pungent vetiver/cedar accentuated by the black pepper drydown, but I started to like it more and more every time I wore it and now is one of my favorites.
Now to me the opening is not rotten oranges anymore, but more like over ripened oranges LOL, and the drydown seems less pungent LOL
Sillage is nuclear and longevity is one of the best in the industry.
08th March, 2015 (last edited: 11th March, 2015)
After seeing all the love from basenotes members about this I blind bought it about 3 years ago.

At the time I was too young to appreciate it's genius. I didn't wear it that often and it's taken 3 years for me to finish my first bottle. Now I'm older I can really appreciate this absolute masterpiece.

Strangely Terre d'Hermes smells better on other people. For me, 1 spray is overbearing and burns my nose which is the reason it took so long to finish the bottle. I have to spray anywhere apart from the neck. Projection and longevity are the best I've experienced from a fragrance that doesn't smell like old man.

It's definitely for the mature gentleman. Separating the men from the boys. Those under 25 might want to try this out before they buy. It's incredibly versatile but I consider it more of a day fragrance.

My girlfriend of 6 years wasn't a fan. She said it smelt of rotten oranges and preferred I wear Cool Water. It was from that moment I realised we weren't meant to be. We finished 1 week later.

Buy it, appreciate it and respect it.
28th February, 2015
What more can be said about TdH?

This is one of my top fragrances, and one of the very few that I could wear anytime of year, day or night and to any occaision without reservation. Probably one of the classiest "gentlemanly" fragrances I know.
25th February, 2015

Add your review of Terre d'Hermès

Shop for Terre d'Hermès products online

Shop for Terre d'Hermès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Terre d'Hermès