Shalimar Light (2006)

• Availability: In Production : Limited Edition
    • Perfumer: Unknown - Let us know
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Reviews of Shalimar Light

Showing 1 to 6 of 18 reviews.

uxf's avatar
    uxf

The vanillic lemon, the hint of spice. This sure makes me think of Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. Like a more balanced version of it.

10th January, 2012

BetsyMeszaros's avatar
    BetsyMeszaros

This review is for Eau de Shalimar which others have indicated is the same thing as Shalimar Light.
    This is a wonderful scent for hot weather. It has the same depth as Shalimar but at the same time it is not over powering and is very light.
    I have worn Shalimar for a long long time. This particular version reminds me of the original vintage Shalimar. It has a lot of the original elements that some how seem to have gotten lost in the various reformulations of Shalimar. I've not a good enough nose to identify for you exactly what I mean but it is just a feeling I get from the scent - like that you get from a song or a picture. Eau de Shalimar just seems more like the original Shalimar then the re-formulations of the last 20 years or so.
    Would be interested in hearing from others what they think about this. I could tell the minute Shalimar was reformulated in the late 1980's and finally I think someone from Guerlain admitted it even though the sales people were saying no no no.

05 June, 2011

Margareta's avatar
    Margareta
    Sweden Sweden

This is a review of Eau de Shalimar, taking the fact that the scent is the same as Shalimar Light, as Asha says. I do hope she is right, as this is a fab scent. Eau de Shalimar is easier to wear than Shalimar, but very much the same anyhow. The start is more cirtusy, the frag i more gentle, and don´t stay into the clothes, wich is something good. I have owned it for one and a half year, and it is great both for summer and winter.

Shalimar is the perfume of the perfumes, but it is difficult to wear. Eau de Shalimar can be worn at every occation, it is always right. It gives very much the feeling of Shalimar, even if it is a light-version. It is very, very well done! It makes it possible to enjoy the Shalimar-feeling every day of the year!

Two thumbs up from me!

05 March, 2010

misscasey's avatar
    misscasey

First of all, I have not had the pleasure of trying the original. With that said, Shalimar Light is fantastic. My boyfriend loves it. Every time I wear it, he doesn't recognize it but asks which perfume it is. He has said it's his favorite. Very sweet but somehow fresh. It smells lemony and vanilla-ish with some bright, sunshiney florals. This fragrance is stunning and one of the few scents which seems to automatically affect my mood. One of my favorites. Two thumbs up!!

17 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

Asha's avatar
    Asha

Guerlain Eau de Shalimar versus Shalimar Light

Left Arm: Guerlain Eau de Shalimar EDT (the newest formulation)
    Right Arm: Guerlain Shalimar Light EDT (also labeled Eau Legere Parfumee)

I have seen all kinds of confusing information about how earlier releases of a light version of Shalimar (variously called Shalimar Light and Shalimar Eau Legere) are different than the newest "light" release called Eau de Shalimar. I already had a manufacturer's sample of EdS, so in a recent order, was able to score a manufacturer's sample of SL/SEL. To clear up any packaging confusion, here is what I have...the paper folder that holds the sample of Shalimar Light has a picture of a curvy Shalimar-shaped bottle with a blue cap and blue colored glass. The juice in the vial is light honey colored, not blue. The paper folder also has BOTH names--Shalimar Light and below it, the words Eau Legere Parfumee. So, I think it is safe to assume that this Shalimar Light was the most recent release BEFORE Eau de Shalimar. Shalimar Light is available at the online discounters. Eau de Shalimar was only at department stores the last time I checked (a few months ago).

The reason for the long introduction--many people say the older version is better than the newer one. One Guerlain fan here on BN remarked that there were actually THREE releases--another Shalimar Light in a clear bottle that came before the blue bottle version, and that this juice may be different also (this would have been the very first release). At any rate, this comparison is for the 2nd and 3rd releases only. And to be very brief--after a full wearing of both, I can't tell the difference between the two. I think they are the same formula with different packaging. If there are any differences, they are so subtle as to be undetectable on my skin. The only thing I can say about it is that MAYBE the older juice was a bit more harsh, and this would probably be due to the age of the juice and its storage conditions rather than any real differences. Another BNer said it very well--buy the Shalimar Light and save a few bucks (paraphrased). I would agree with this as long as I trusted the retailer who is selling the older, discounted version.

The fragrance itself is very pleasant. It starts with a sweet and sour lemon blast that reminds me of lemonade or lemon sorbet. This sweetened lemon stage tones down very quickly and is joined by a light vanilla. I wouldn't say it is an edible lemon-vanilla combination, but it is very welcoming, refreshing, and not overly sweet. I actually wish this stage lasted for much longer--if it did, I would probably want a full bottle. Sadly, it fades within an hour, and the result is a very dusty, dry vanilla with a hint of tart lemon for the rest of the drydown. There are some florals also, but I can't distinguish any particular floral note. The effect is sort of "perfumy" (I wish I knew what actually caused the "perfumy" note in fragrances). There is also a dry, almost baby-powder note, so it is possible that the powder is what gives it that "perfumy" edge. I hesitate to say it might be orris, because most orris I have smelled is a bit sweeter and more "rooty" to me. However, orris is a good candidate for the powder note. Longevity is actually quite good. I applied the equivalent of 3 good sprays to each arm, and after 12 hours, the soft vanilla base is still apparent on my skin. Sillage is moderate--I was able to smell it when working at my desk typing or writing.

The nod to Shalimar is obvious in the drydown, especially with the light powder and vanilla. I never noticed citrus in Shalimar, but certainly Jicky has beautiful citrus in the top notes, so I see a family resemblance with the use of lemon also. On my skin, though, Eau de Shalimar is significantly drier than Shalimar or Jicky, and I am not sure I would classify EdS as an oriental. Eau de Shalimar is really more like a traditional cologne than a light oriental. I think it would be great for warm weather or day wear. It is a very solid offering by Guerlain, but I am not terribly bowled over by it. Of course, it could easily be one of those that grows on me until one day I realize I really love it.

21st October, 2008

Jemimagold's avatar
    Jemimagold

I tried Shalimar Light because it was described by several perfumistas on the MUA Fragrance Board as a "great citrus" fragrance and I love citrus. In fact, it is probably my single most favorite note in perfumery.

That said, I honestly felt a bit let down by Shalimar Light as it is not a citrusy or lemony perfume. Rather, as its name implies, it is a lighter version of Shalimar and has its recognizable sweet-ish oriental and sandalwood notes. I don't care for Shalimar and Shalimar Light is not much better. Tsk, tsk. A dash of orange flower does not a citrus fragrance make.

Here are Shalimar Light's notes as gleaned from the internet: orange flower lemon, bergamot, jasmine, rose de mai, opopanax, tonka bean, vanilla, iris, incense, ambergris.

05 August, 2008