Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan (2005)
    by Hermès

Average Rating: 4

Based on 186 ratings

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan information

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan is a unisex fragrance by Hermès. The scent was launched in 2005

Reviews of Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan

Showing 1 to 6 of 28 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woods

The crystal clear peachy-floral top notes of Osmanthe Yunan are simply beautiful. Their luminous quality brings to mind Menard's exquisite but hard-to-find L'Eau de Ryokuei, and the resemblance is maintained for quite some time after application. Osmanthe Yunan is the slightly sweeter scent, and is less suggestive of bright water, though neither of the two can be called "aquatic" in the usual (Calone soaked) sense.

Osmanthe Yunan eventually diverges to follow a path lined by soft, fruity white flowers, with a powdery olfactory texture and vanillic highlights in the far background. Like many of the Jean-Claude Elléna scents I've tried, Osmanthe Yunan works primarily as a skin scent, with very little sillage or projection. It has the trademark Elléna transparency, but not the austerity of his "masculine" compositions like Declaration or Terre d'Hermes. For a fruity floral scent to avoid the grating, cheap candy artificiality that plagues most of this tribe is quite an accomplishment. On the other hand, Elléna has softened the fruity floral accord so much in his quest for sophistication that the end result is oddly shapeless.

If you want spring blossoms reflected in a crystalline pool, seek out the more sharply focused L'Eau de Ryokuei. If it's the soft textured peaches and apricots you're after, I think you may be better served by more substantial scents, like Mitsouko and Chinatown, that set their lactonic fruit against a characterful chypre structure.

15 June, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

I understand the "milky tea" summary Turin gives this scent, but not its five stars.

For me this is a very light smoky tea leather scent, slightly sweet, which is the peach note.

Average, undistinguished, way too expensive for what you get.

10th March, 2014

mlsweeney's avatar

Really light and crisp

This fragrance is light and crisp which makes it perfect for a summer gathering. When I applied this fragrance, I really felt like I was in a garden of roses in a remote part of China. They did a great job of capturing a fragrant setting instead of trying to make another boring fragrance. The fragrance isn't too overbearing when applied compared to the designers that can become cloying. I really love how the fragrance can stay dormant on your skin and then show its best attributes when the sun heats your skin.

The bad thing about this fragrance is it is way too expensive for what you're getting. It's not the most versatile fragrance so when you consider the price you have to ask yourself if you'll get your money's worth outside of the summer season. The projection is really poor but the longevity is solid. It basically requires heat for it to be a good performing fragrance. Another thing that annoys me is the box is the exact same throughout the collection. I collect the boxes so I was expecting each to have their own individuality.

7.7/10

Pros: 1. Truly takes you into a Chinese garden atmosphere 2. Not too overbearing 3. Performs better with more sun exposure
    Cons: 1. Way too expensive 2. Projection is awful 3. Box looks the same as all the other Hermessence collection"

04 September, 2013

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Elegant understated chic

This scent is very straight to the point. It's delicate and refined, supremely elegant in its minimalism . I have liked most of the Hermessences I have tried and this is no exception .

I do not find its longevity a problem to be honest - I think I have tried this sample 3 times now . Osmanthe Yunnan is just not a shouting kinda scent - it's ' my skin but better ' scent.

It's a "my- skin- made- by- Hermes" scent. Therefore understated chic .

it's fruity ,sharp at first - abit of orange , then fresh floral with freesia mixed with that delicate apricot skin - a bit tart - whatever 'leatheriness' is mostly my imagination. The tea note is mute and in the background. All in all ,well blended ,soft but not necessarily short lived at all.

Osmanthe Yunnan lingers in its own little whispery way . It's rude to shout !

Actually very signature scent worthy. Very subtle.

Pros: Beautifully made
    Cons: Price per 100 ml"

12 August, 2013

onaluna's avatar

Very fleeting, thin as water, with no sparkle to the fruit notes. The tea note is as delicate as some green teas, but not a photographic representation. There are no tannins (kind of wish there were), but thankfully no crashing sour so-called "tea" notes.

It feels like a soft veil of peach, overtaken by white flowers, then ... POOF! Nothing.

But pretty. Very pretty. It's a "kind" perfume, but I wish it emphasized the precious osmanthus more (makes me want to try to add some osmanthus absolute to it). Has this line been "dumbed down" a tad to have a wider appeal? I get that feeling.

I prefer Ayala's Kinmokusei for it's lush, fruity otherworldly take on osmanthus.

30th March, 2013

PureBoy's avatar

Brazil Brazil

I really don't understand all the negative reviews about this one!
    What a lovely quiet fragrance!!! I thought I found a great fragrance when I tryed Osmanthus by The Different Company but I really felt in love when I met this  Hermèssence! I tryed this in the Hermès store at the Frankfurt airport minutes before I fly back to Brazil... I sprayed it on my skin and I thought "that's nice! That's  fine!" and I didn't buy. I prefered take the Voyage Parfum with me... How wrong I was... I couldn't help to fall in love with Osmanthe Yunnan all the way back to my country we almost talk to each other! And yes, after landing I could still smell the greatness  of this masterpiece! On my skin, this guy is greater and has more longevity than Santal Massoia (easy) and Ambre Narguile (hard, but it's true)!!!
    Give yourself a chance, and if you have the time you'll be delighted too!

But if you only want to "smell huge" without any other purpose... Go look another place!

19 November, 2012

• Time Left: 28 days
    Auth. Hermes Collection Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan EDT 15 ml NEW with pouch
    • Time Left: 23 days
    (Shipping from Germany)
    Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermes-VERY VERY EXCLUSIVE!!!!!
    • Time Left: 10 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Auth HERMES HERMESSENCE OSMANTHE YUNNAN 15ml bottle With Hermessence pouch.
    • Time Left: 7 days