Nuit Noire (2006)

Nuit Noire Fragrance Notes

Nuit Noire information

Inspired by Serge Lutens

Reviews of Nuit Noire

Showing 1 to 6 of 16 reviews.

Darvant's avatar

Mona di Orio Nuit Noire is effectively a tribute to the classic chypre standing out there in a glorious left back era of the olfactory french/italian tradition as I detect by soon a leather/floral/chypre classic accord between spicy tuberose, orange, leather and oakmoss. I detect by soon a sort of typically stuffy-vintage (a la Gabriela Sabatini Magnetic or Roccobarocco), sinister, barely mouldy, ripe floral and dirty (slightly incensey and powerfully spicy) atmosphere conjuring me more than vaguely Eclair de Tubereuse by il Profumo as ideally combined with several Histoires de Parfums' leather/tuberoses, Absolu Rochas, Parfum d'Empire Musc Tonkin and with Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan (since I feel a profound dirty and almost camphoraceous muskiness which appears anyway in this case overcharged by tons of cloves, cinnamon, pepper and ylang-ylang). The spiciness is strong a la Cinnabar but it smells not properly harmonized. The aroma in the central stage appears dissonant, almost fecal ( I suppose the effect is aroused by the association between civet, musks and indolic tuberose, a killer combo often eliciting that typical dirty/acid flowerpot water effect). The dry down is smoother, cleaner, more vanillic, softly leathery and still musky, I would say far better than the previous phases for sure. The leather is minimal and finally velvety but for a too much long time submissed by spicy/orangy tuberose, tonka, animalic patterns and musk. The final leather on the contrary is almost delicious, subtle and with and ostensibly berrish undertone. Not bad on the complex but clearly unbalanced (along all the initial and central stage) and frankly unoriginal.

06 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Bold, straightforward, classic opening of tuberose on a vanilla-amber spicy and powdery base. Nostalgic and feminine, a tribute to classic chypres, vaguely gloomy and carnal, but at the same time quite natural and dry. As for some other scents by Orio, however, this all "stands" there for just a while, before collapsing and going wrong – here, luckily, not "that" wrong... just a bit. I won't agree with Luca Turin, as he was clearly too and unnecessarily cruel in reviewing this: it does not smell that bad, just a bit cloying for a while, then sweetish, eventually developing a persistent, unpleasant stale note on the drydown. And overall, terribly dull. Not a disaster, just barely decent and totally unworth the price tag.

10th May, 2014

kumquat's avatar

Contrary to popular belief, there is no civit in this perfume. There is a sweetened leather with orange up top. Very creamy and dark. You can definitely get tuberose along with amber here. I find it comforting and luxurious. Too bad Turin only tested on paper strips. This one needs to warm up and meld with the human skin. Glad I bought a back-up.

12 April, 2014

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Unfortunately this reminds me of a specific cleaning product (rather pleasant I must say it was, and likely cheap), only 10 times stronger and with a powdery sweet and dirty twist.
    I would probably not like it anyway, even if it did not bring such bland memories to mind.

One powerful scent. And I thought I could tolerate just about anything.... Apparently not. I do like the "sweaty butt-cheeks"-note in Une Fleur de Cassie combined and tempered by its rather astringent notes, but that thing has at least a grain of modesty and balance. This stuff is purely to give me headaches if I even touch it.

Try before you buy, as with most things

30th January, 2014

nofixedstars's avatar

I really fell in love with this, and was so disappointed when I heard that it has been discontinued! Reviews are so mixed on this scent, but I like complex and sensual perfumes, so I felt pretty confident that it would benefit from my chemistry, which tends to "sweeten" things. On me it is a rich, multi-faceted oriental that evolves over time. In the first 5 minutes, the animalic component is more noticeable, but it settles into velvety floral and spice and woods, with amber making its way into the mix after a bit. Utterly sensual, sexy but not at all "nasty"...and sadly not available much now. I was shocked by the abysmal rating from Luca Turin, whose taste I generally respect, but then, perfume is such an individual thing. It's definitely on my "5 stars" list.

22 August, 2011

holyzoo's avatar

Oh man, this took months for me to figure out. My first impression was that Nuit Noire is gaudy. But now it has me forming some further thoughts. Nuit Noire is one nasty sexy bad girl perfume, along with D'zing.

However, if you want a feminine super classy floral with an assertive leathery seductive base, get Cuir de Russie by Chanel.

05 March, 2010 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2010)

Add your review of Nuit Noire

Search for on eBay United States

Sealed New In box Mona di Orio Nuit Noire Parfume France Rare Niche Paris
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 2 days
    STARTING BID
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)