Signature Collection : Nuit Noire (2006)
by Mona di Orio

About Signature Collection : Nuit Noire

Inspired by Serge Lutens

Signature Collection : Nuit Noire fragrance notes

Reviews of Signature Collection : Nuit Noire

A perfume that takes a while to come round on my skin. Upon opening it gave the impression of having sat in the cupboard for too long, like it was trying desperately to be a gutsy old school floral complete with unwashed underwear, but the end result sadly resembled an emanation from a bottle that had turned. The blast of orange blossom-heavy white florals that soars out at the start distorted and gained a plastic aspect, the civet-musk power chord of the base felt airless and stale. It seemed all yellowing lace, fur, and hair; old age in an instant.
And yet, despite all that, there was a perverse pleasure in wearing it, as if one were tempting fate. There seemed to be a core of oriental warmth to the composition, rendered in a creamy, body-hued manner which called out to me, willing me to risk entering the boudoir that time forgot.
And then in a final change Nuit Noire blossomed, the orange flowers became bright and radiant and imbued with a triple-milled soapiness, and that base began twinkling with spicy refinement reminiscent of a classic Caron. Worth the wait? Ya betcha.
05th October, 2017
A warm and orangey/powdery Oriental in the mold of Shalimar and Emeraude, Nuit Noir bears a very misleading name. It smells pretty bright to my nose. Not particularly original but very well composed.
Reminds me greatly of the similarly enjoyable Ligea "La Sirena" by Carthusia and would be a 'next step' recommendation for fans of Midnight in Paris.
30th March, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
The orange of the opening phase has a dark, nigh candied character that is accentuated by a gently warning cinnamon componenent. Later in the drydown, a tuberose that is fresh and not waxy at all combines with hints of a mildly spicy clove impression laced with touches of tonka.

In the base a sweetish aroma of a new soft Italian leather note develops, which develops a hint of powderiness towards the end. I get moderate sillage, good projection and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

This fragrance has characteristics of a rich autumnal evening scent; one of Mina di Orio's nice creations. 3.25/5
29th November, 2015
Not bad, but not unique IMO. Smells similar to something I sampled before (can't remember what it is). The orange notes make this one pretty good. Seems like too much is going on at one time with this one. 7/10
17th November, 2015
This fragrance was difficult to key in on. It shifted several times and I had to let this happen before knowing whether I liked it or not. But no matter how it shifted I can't say it worked for me. My issue really is with the mix of spices that were supposed to give it an edgy, naughty note. They didn't on my skin. I really love a nice sexy fragrance, but for me the spice mixes that are said to make fragrances naughty seldom equate to sexy. 'Dirty' or 'smelly' might have edgy daring in an antiseptic society, but sexy...? Not necessarily. For a while now, I've wanted to smell the 'dirty' ones on someone who considers them sexy, to see if it really is about chemistry, or is more about concept. I hope it's chemistry and that I would find this one smashing on them. Because if they smelled like I do in them, oh dear. I'm not sure I'd know how to tell them to go back to the bathroom and rewipe.
I hoped the tuberose would be a bigger player than it was, but on me the spices dominated. The opening on Nuit Noire has a cardamom-ginger-cinnamon note and I seldom care for ginger in a fragrance - I usually find it somewhat grating, a little too sparky, especially if used wrong (i.e. allowed to assert itself), so it didn't sit well with the deeper notes, sort of over-rode them on my skin. Unfortunately, the dissonance of the spices were a factor until almost the end. The skankier aspects became stronger in the mid note, and like I said earlier it didn't equate to sexy. The spices sitting on top of any sensuality in this fragrance were a dissonant combination because they didn't quite meld, but were instead a vaguely fecal blanket. Everytime I smell that note, the fairy tale 'The Emperor's New Clothes' pops into my head.
The dry down was best, becoming smoother and a little leatherier, but the distinctive tone of this fragrance never really left and I got tired wearing it. It has to work for me, not the other way round. In this genre, Jicky is skanky and sexier on me.
02nd March, 2015 (last edited: 13th March, 2015)
Yes, this is definitely a polarizing fragrance but, given how some perfumers and brands have pushed the boundaries of old-fashioned skanky stuff since Nuit Noire was originally released, this is much less *challenging* than it used to be perceived.

The opening is a white floral (mainly orange blossoms to me) with some sparkling citrusy notes. Very nostalgic in feel and aimed to tribute french feminine chypre classics. It suddenly turns into a kind of sharp and too dangerously soapy middle phase where the animalics show their presence with a slightly fecal musky presence. The juxtaposition between soap and the animalic elements still feels somewhat classic but there's something wrong about it. It's like smelling a beloved fragrance which has turned. It doesn't settle with the skin comfortably. It feels somewhat out of place.

The base is a warm and very old-fashioned ambery-leather with sweetish facets. All in all not the monster they made us believe it was but, in year 2014, nowhere close the charming power of somewhat similarly themed fragrances such as, say, Bogue's MAAI or even Chypre Palatin.

01st November, 2014

Add your review of Signature Collection : Nuit Noire

Shop for Signature Collection : Nuit Noire products online

Shop for Signature Collection : Nuit Noire at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Signature Collection : Nuit Noire

Member images of Signature Collection : Nuit Noire

There are no member images of Signature Collection : Nuit Noire yet. Why not be the first?