Dzongkha (2006)

Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About Dzongkha

L'Artisan say:

Dzongkha is a rapturous fragrance, inspired by the remote Buddhist mountain kingdom of Bhutan in the eastern Himalayas. After the critical success of Timbuktu, Bertrand Duchaufour once again turned his perfumery skills on faraway lands to focus on the combination of nature and spirituality found in Bhutan. Rich with aromatic influences: temple stones and incense, the sweet aroma of spiced chai tea, the heat of warm leather around fires, the heart of any temple or home in snowbound lands. Vetiver and green papyrus float through soft smoke with touches of peony, lychee and delicate iris. Dzongkha tells a special story on every skin: that of Dzongkha itself, the spiritual language of Bhutan.

Dzongkha fragrance notes

Reviews of Dzongkha

Dzongkha opens as a somber leather fragrance with vetiver. The heart, after a couple hours, is greener, like the smell of the bitter juice from breaking open fresh plant stems. It continues to develop and smell better: six hours in, it's a nice, dark, warm, powdery skin scent.
12th July, 2017
Stardate 20170710:

Starts out as iris in a chypre structure.
Then about an hour in spices start showing up - Cardamom is more prominent than the others. The others blend into smell of Indian spice rack/shop.
I do not like this rendition of cardamom - too synthetic. Lacks the depth of real cardamom.
After a couple of hours the base sets in and stays till the end. Base is peppers in sour milk. Not my favourite.
There is a backdrop of Indian Masala Chai with iris throughout the base and heart period.

Pass
10th July, 2017
Dzongkha opens on me with a smell of something like MSG or soup or moreso a stock cube - there's something like celery and herbs, there's also something whiskey-like in the nose as a 'higher' note, and a strong Rien-like leather. By whiskey I mean that cool peaty smell of whiskey without any warming clove or honey. It also smells like furniture in some way, reminding me of old rooms. So, not your Auntie Violet's rosewater, I guess! I always remind myself at this stage of the Dzongkha game that it develops - so I'll report back as this happens.
Two hours later and it's the Dzongkha I remember, still somewhat savoury rather than spicy-sweet, but with a softer incense with a little floral on the edges. For me, this is a very grounded fragrance - it reminds me of the smell of corners of my grandparents' house - nothing in particular but the accumulated scents of life - that doesn't sound very appealing but it is a solid comfortable feeling, woody and vaguely human. I remember testing L'Air de Rien and getting something similar but not as smooth as Dzongkha.

Now (7hours) it's a lovely incense-leather that just feels good, calming, and solid.
10th July, 2017
This goes pretty much straight to vetiver on me, and stays there. Doesn't stay for long though. Lovely scent, not sure I need a bottle.
16th January, 2017
Starts out strongly -- lush, almost harsh vegetal green coupled with mint: I think that's the celery/whiskey note some people pick up. There was no spice on me as some have noted; likewise, I pick up almost no vetiver. It's definitely herbal and medicinal in its start: cold, fresh.

Within twenty minutes on me it turns into a slightly smoky incense with a little bit of cardamom.

In the next hour, I still get the incense, but it's tempered by cedar and a rosy peony. It's sweet and powdery, almost like a high-end cosmetic, but not cloyingly so -- it's a bit atmospheric and definitely abstract. I get a little bit of wet stone as well.

My partner thinks it smells like Off! bugspray. I'm miffed at him for mentioning it.

I'm wearing the sample I got right now and I'm about two hours in. It is just beginning to smell of old parchment; this is likely the papyrus note. The incense is there but it's an undertone. I get a bit of iron when I exhale it.

My skin has a habit of turning many florals into baby powder; this is no exception, though it meshes well with the incense and dryness.

I like it a lot, even if it didn't quite match my expectations -- I'm looking for an offbeat signature scent and while I'm not sure this is it, I'll probably add it to my collection in time.
18th November, 2016
Normally I dislike milky notes in a fragrance (Feu d'Issy made me feel physically sick), but this is the exception to the rule. The milky note works so well in Dzongkha, and combines perfectly with the dry powdery Ionone and Cedarwood accord. This is a lovely complex but subtle fragrance.

I have noted the comments made by others that this fragrance lasts for a very long time, and is very powerful. I do not experience this. Maybe I have bought a reformulated version, but I don't find this especially strong, and I don't think it lasts longer than many other fragrances I own. However, I am not complaining. It is no where near as diffusive as Timbuktu, but is much better blended (not that I'm knocking Timbuktu).
24th May, 2016

Add your review of Dzongkha

Shop for Dzongkha products online

Shop for Dzongkha at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Dzongkha

Member images of Dzongkha

There are no member images of Dzongkha yet. Why not be the first?