Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense (2003)
by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense information

Year of Launch2003

HouseYves Saint Laurent
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > YSL Beaute
Parent Company at launchPinault-Printemps-Redoute > Gucci Group > YSL Beaute

About Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense is a masculine fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2003

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense fragrance notes

Reviews of Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense

Darker and denser than the original, spicier too with a bit more cloves but not overly, it also sits closer to the skin, it's a lot less complex, less airy and more monolithic. The stong aniseed from the original has been way toned down while an astringent bergamot is cranked. Basically less "barbasol" way more synth 'woods' but not scratchy norlimbanol like, and I think ambrox in the base. It feels more modern than the original, I think it shows more than a few hints of today's woodambrox bombs. Take the original and strip it of most of its personality by removing its quirks (aniseed) and "dated" oakmoss replacing it by crowd pleasing "woods' and such and, voila.
A decent Hollywood remake of a beloved french movie if you will..

I'm a luddite but I like it anyway, it's hard to ruin a masterpiece like RG as it is still very RG nevertheless. I'm looking forward to layering the two. Not really worth pursuing though but an interesting take for the RG devotee.
Marginal thumbs up
04th June, 2019
Markedly similar to the original, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense is somewhat more condensed and less bright but very much overall on the same wave length.

In lacking the original's sharper, fresher qualities, though, some of the barbershop vibe is supplanted by spiciness, but only ever so slightly. There's still the presence of some sharp lavender, coupled with woods, vetiver, guaiac, and star anise. It's woody, slightly spicy, and slightly fresh.

The note breakdown seems almost identical to the original, but as far as notables differences, I would simply point to Intense being a little denser and longer-lasting as well as less bright, perhaps more suited for nighttime and cold weather use for men.

Intense is still a small additional achievement in its own right, a somewhat willing variant to reach for, though I don't regard it as independently worth owning in addition to the original. I imagine Intense can provide a useful solution to those who find the original too fleeting, but most like me seem to be content with the original as is. Still, I quite enjoy this flanker, even if it doesn't deviate from the original much.

8 out of 10
26th February, 2018
A decent intensification of the original, though it can come across as cloyingly loud in comparison.

The Intense flanker takes the cloves and anise of Rive Gauche pour Homme and makes them more evident. For me, that increased spiciness may become a bit much over the wear cycle after an hour or so. I didn't quite feel that way with the original, which stays tastefully projected and by no means weak.

I believe that it's a personal thing, whether one would prefer the original scent or this intense version.

[Edit 2019: I retried this again recently, and I must say that it didn't feel cloying to me as it did in my original 2017 post. Instead, I enjoyed its clean, rich quality that reminded me 95% of Versace L'Homme (one of my all time favorite, go-to scents).

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense is a definite evening time, cooler weather scent; the original version is a bit more versatile, being lighter and fresher, fit for most days and seasons. And for those wanting an even subtler, lighter experience of the same great scent, there's the fresh version (for some, the original may be a bit too strong, incidentally).

The Intense version, as some have pointed out, has the original's DNA yet is a credible, solid scent in its own right. No need to get both versions (unless you're a fanatical collector like me ;^>).]
07th January, 2017 (last edited: 21st January, 2019)
Original plus 8 more hours. This is such an unusual fragrance. It smells like a freshly washed man, but never freshly washed me. Like that guy at the gym, who you notice smells good, but in an odd way you know you are somehow incapable of smelling like. For three years I've been trying to give this stuff a thumbs up, but just can't. I put it away, crave it after a few months, enjoy it for three or four days, then put it away again.
08th December, 2012
very similar to the original version, if anything , somewhat greener and sharper the first five minute, but once the initial stampede has passed the sweet breath of the river turn its way.It doesn´t worth owning the original.
Neutral rating because hardly changes or improves the original.
17th November, 2011
adonis Show all reviews
Darker, dirtier, deeper than the original during the first hour. Not any longer lasting, however. I love RG so much that it's hard to criticize the intense version. It doesn't really merit a purchase if you already own a can of the fantastic and manly smelling barber shop masterpiece that is YSL Rive Gauche.
26th May, 2011

Add your review of Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense

Shop for Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense products online

Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme edt Intense 2.0 oz/60 ml spray vintage

End Date: Monday Aug-5-2019 17:53:33 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $200.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense

There are no member images of Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense yet. Why not be the first?