Vintage (2006)

PerfumerRodrigo Flores-Roux
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchShiseido > ZIC Corp

About Vintage

Vintage is a masculine fragrance by John Varvatos. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux

Vintage fragrance notes

Reviews of Vintage

This is the first cologne I bought in many years after having fallen out of the habit. I wanted something masculine that reminded me of the strong frags I grew up smelling and wearing in the 70s and 80s.

I did some research to see what would be an affordable "starter cologne" and Varvatos Vintage doesn't disappoint, especially considering I only paid $25 for it on eBay.

It's got spicy-woody-leathery scent to my (uneducated) nose.
I believe one could call it a "woody chypre".
Seems better suited to evenings and cooler weather than warm days.

It's no longer sold in stores but then I wouldn't be thrilled at paying the full price of $90 for this. However at only $25 or so online a 4.2 ounce bottle is a very good value for something wearable.

It doesn't appear to project much or last long, but it's inexpensive, so you can always use more or touch it up without worrying about the cost.

I like it quite well and will enjoy wearing it.

Overall: 3/5
Scent: 4/5
Performance: 2/5
Value: 5/5
07th February, 2018
Oviatt Show all reviews
You had me at juniper berries. Add in fir balsam, tonka, tobacco and suede? Right up my alley. The Santolina adds to the herbal opening of the juniper, and the patchouli and jasmine in the heart notes round everything off nicely. The jasmine--not a traditionally masculine note--works the same way that the gardenia does in Halston's Z-14, adding a nice floral counterpoint to the battery of masculine staples. And this is a very masculine scent, indeed, especially in the dry down. The next morning, you are not showering off the dregs of the base notes; it is pure testosterone coming off in the steamy water. I generally think that John Varvatos' fragrances are very good designer offerings--as good as any out there and Vintage is the proof of that. An old school masculine powerhouse, revamped for the modern day. Wife approved.
06th December, 2017
This cologne is for men, not boys. The tobacco, suede, and rum really come through, and it's got a little bit of sexiness to it.
I see this fragrance working for older men, at least 40+.
What type of guy wears this? Rugged types.
It's definitely for cold weather.
I myself don't like wearing it because it's too spicy for my nose, but when I do wear it, I'm smelling my wrist every so often to get a "hit", so there's something good to it. However, I feel that it's a little over bearing at times. I'm tempted to give it a neutral rating, but objectively speaking, I think it's a great fragrance, just not one that works for me.
It's similar to John Varvatos' original but that one can be worn by younger guys in a club. This is the spicier version of that one, for the older guy who travels the world, flies his own planes, does stuff like that.

Pasha by Cartier.

10th August, 2017 (last edited: 04th January, 2018)
I ordered this on a whim based on the reviews. It's not that it's a "bad" fragrance in any's just that I honestly couldn't get past the fact that it reminded me of Polo. The original Polo that I wore in high school. I tried...I tried. Couldn't do it.
07th November, 2016
I'm not a regular fragrance wearer. In the past, I may have splashed on some after shave for a special occasion, but lately I've been trying to find a fragrance which is: 1. Affordable. 2. Unique enough to be noticeable but appropriate for regular office wear, and 3. Something a man in his 30's might wear (I'm 28 and most mainstream (aquatic) fragrances just don't do it for me). I have two young children and a wife with a sensitive nose, so nothing with too much sillage.

Vintage may just be what I'm looking for. This is my second day testing it, and I still like it. Day one I applied to my chest. Today my wrists. It's winter, and the top and heart notes stick around fairly well on me up close (chest), but at a distance (wrist) I can definitely pick up the tobacco and jasmine after only a few minutes. Projects fairly well at this point.

My wife liked the top notes when we were looking at samples, but the tobacco makes me wonder if she'll still go for this. The heart notes almost feel slightly feminine to me (in a good way). I like it. Very mature.

Sillage and longevity, as others have noted, isn't great, but I think that makes this a very worthwhile fragrance for the office. When I got home from work yesterday my wife had to get close to pick up the scent (not a bad thing), so this will warrant a third test wear on the weekend to see how those heart notes play out with her.

*Update: I've tried this off and on for the past week. Overall, a solid fragrance. Something I might pick up if I found it on sale somewhere for a nice change of pace, but not a regular. Lately I've been noticing more of the tobacco is coming through. These notes don't work great on me and my wife isn't the biggest fan. Still, this gets a thumbs up.
03rd February, 2016 (last edited: 07th February, 2016)
As a person who thoroughly enjoys heavy spicy/oriental I like this fragrance very much. Although cloves is not listed as an ingredient, the main note that I smell is cloves. I opened a container of cloves and performed a side by side comparison by smelling the container cloves with a back of my hand spray of Varvatos Vintage. Very, very close!
I believe JV Vintage is to cloves as Aramis JHL is to cinnamon.

This is, in my opinion, the very best of the John Varvatos line and definitely a keeper. I also have the John Varvatos and while nice, it appears to have a lighter projection and less longevity.

26th January, 2016

Add your review of Vintage

Shop for Vintage products online

Shop for Vintage at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Vintage