Molecule 01 (2006)

Year of Launch2006

HouseEscentric Molecules
PerfumerGeza Schoen

About Molecule 01

Escentric Molecules say: 'Molecule 01 consists of one single ingredient, ‘Iso E Super’. On its own it is less of an aroma than an effect. The wearer may notice a pleasant, subtle velvety-woody note which will vanish, then re-surface after some time, but more than this, she or he will notice the impact it has on other people.'

Reviews of Molecule 01

This perfume is an art project complete and innovative.

Many fundamental questions of craftsmanship versus mass production are always related to niche perfumery! The relationship of usefulness and beauty, the practical purpose of formal beauty in a commonplace object could become a real discussion.

When I read that some perfumers create fine perfumes because focused on the value of the liquid, I think that the niche has become a sort of meeting place for provincial people who do not know the value of an idea. Reducing a simple concept to the craftsmanship of a perfume (defined as liquid) is nonsense. As it is equally foolish to talk about quality of the raw materials. Do you want jasmine? Use jasmine, although it will cost you a fortune and it would be a trivial version of the “idea about jasmine”! Even the packaging is an integral part of the artistic value of a fragrance.

About Molecule 01, when they decided to remove the cap in this standard bottle, they told a choice! The exact same choice to create a single-themed scent! This is art, this is an idea! This is a symbol: how to create a perfume anti-snob! The entire project is brilliant!
But who cares farmer's jasmin! I do not hear my favorite music because it has better sounds (but simple !!!) and I do not fall in love with a painting because blue is very nice and the author chose an economic framework. This means to be radical-chich. This attitude often is identified with a certain conviction of cultural superiority, as well as the persistent manifestation of this "high" culture, or cured sloppiness in dress and, sometimes, to the refinement in gastronomy and tourism; loving also certain artists and it counters that, reduced to mere appearance, lose any substance which indicates the label snobbish.

Art is the beauty of a concept, is a promise and it is also a lot of words spoken or unspoken! Perfume is the art of seeing what is invisible to others. Let them be stupid, they need time to see!
19th May, 2015
I do not enjoy this scent as I cannot smell what other people smell when I am wearing it. It angers me… Molecules 01 smells to me like sharp bitter lemon and dry herbs drowned in alcohol – longevity - zero. People surrounding me smell something that suppose to be extremely strong and fresh, something they absolutely love but unfortunately cannot describe. Never before recieved so many compliments.
22nd April, 2015
Opens up on the skin with an air of nothingness. This is apologetic for being what it is, and one has to be apologetic about wearing a fragrance before considering this one.

One might as well bath in Evian and wear freshly laundered clothes to get the same effect.
10th March, 2015
Supremely synthetic aromachemicals centered well made experiment. A futuristic, minimalistic, distant and "molecular" cold/elusive liquid for us. On my skin Molecule 01 smells about fresh mountain air, laboratory experiment, molecular dustiness (like a volatile light simil-frankincense....Iso E Driven incense), pencil shaving woods (mostly synthetic cedarwood...Iso E Super), black pepper, russian pure transparent vodka, light floral notes (like lotus, peony, geranium) and synthetic musk. I detect vaguely the "Comme des Garcons/Andrea Maack-like" muffled-hyperbaric atmosphere or a "Terre d'Hermes/Gucci Pour Homme and partially LesNez Let me Play the Lion" type of dusty-aerial vibe but in this case the Iso E Super impersonal woody muskiness is prevailing over. A nice experiment if you like the new "impersonal distant fluidy synthetism" of the new avant-garde brands. Not for me anyway.
25th February, 2015
Tried on a winter day, not super cold but winter nevertheless.
Maybe not the best weather for this fragrance but the shop hadn't the fragrances I wanted to test so I went with this one cause I already knew it was about Iso E and skin chemistry.

In my skin, this fragrance does nothing.
At first I got the alcohol vibe, just the alcohol in a shy way and maybe a bit musky... but was unable to detect anymore.
After a few hours I got a soapy vibe, like if I've washed my hands 10 minutes ago. Totally skin scent.

And that's all for me, maybe some summer I'll try again but this one went to top curiousity list to the bottom.

Another aspect that piss me off is the price just cause it's niche. Come on, where are the high quality ingredients here? I'm sure this one is a thousand times cheaper to produce than any other.
21st February, 2015
This is pure Iso E Super diluted in alcohol. Folks, don't buy this stuff unless you have too much money and want to get rid of it! This stuff is a rip-off and you could easily produce your own "Molecule 01" at a fraction of the cost!
13th February, 2015

Add your review of Molecule 01

Shop for Molecule 01 products online

Shop for Molecule 01 at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Molecule 01

Member images of Molecule 01

There are no member images of Molecule 01 yet. Why not be the first?