Insolence Eau de Toilette (2006)
    by Guerlain

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 307 ratings

Insolence Eau de Toilette Fragrance notes

Red fruit, Iris, Violet

Insolence Eau de Toilette information

Insolence Eau de Toilette is a women's fragrance by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2006

Shop for Insolence Eau de Toilette products online

Reviews of Insolence Eau de Toilette

Showing 1 to 6 of 73 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Floral Oriental

Comments on Insolence emphasize its aggressively fruity top notes and its resemblance to L’Heure Bleue, and both observations are accurate so far as they go. Yet it would be wrong to characterize Insolence as a more synthetic L’Heure Bleue with berries on top. It actually succeeds on it’s own merits as a stylish, distinctive, and a meaningful modern extension of the Guerlain line for women. The overall structure of insolence leaves no doubt that the reference to L’Heure Bleue, Vol de Nuit and, to a lesser extent, Apres l’Ondee, is a deliberate gesture on the part of parfumeur Maurice Roucel. The anise and vanilla are present in abundance, yet their more aggressively spicy setting and their harder edges mark Insolence as a thoroughly modern composition.

I’ve read complaints that Insolence is overly sweet, but I do not find it so. To my nose the sweet fruit and vanilla are well balanced by the prickly spices and woods that overlay the scent’s heart accord. Insolence is un-apologetically loud, with conspicuous sillage, so for me enjoying it requires a light hand in application. Used with appropriate temperance, Insolence is a very gratifying perfume.

17 June, 2014

Captain's avatar

To me, this smells like laundry left in the washing machine too long. Up close, when I put my nose right on my arm, it’s sweet violets but as I go about my day, all I smell is flowery mildew. Like with Petite Robe Noire, I get the L’Heure Bleue vibe and don’t see the need to alter that perfect scent with sweet, musty fruit. I can wear Petite Robe Noire though I cannot wear this. I washed my arms where I tested it and sprayed Angel over it, I just refused to have it in my space any longer. That said, I think it’s worth testing as I can see why not everyone gets mildewy laundry.

15 June, 2014

deadidol's avatar

A big old flowery, peachy explosion structured around the merging of violets with aldehydic fruit notes. It’s a huge, thick scent that feels surprisingly dated given its 2006 release date. There are a lot of berries upfront, but they don’t feel too jammy or even real—more like a culmination of food flavoring with a heavy dose of artificial sweeteners added. The sweetness lacks body and comes off a tad waxy, yet the whole composition is dense—which sort of contradicts the sweeter aspects and makes for a bit of a destabilizing wear. The fruits are too aldehydic—too dry and fake smelling, and it feels like it should have been far more diaphanous than it actually is. Consequently, rather than evoking the impression of, say, a fruit orchard—or even a bowl of fresh berries—I get more of an image of ‘70s hair salon in which the scent of loud, screechy berry shampoos are passed back and forth amidst the noise of hair dryers, running water, and loud chatter. This scent is cacophonous in more ways than one, and after thirty minutes, I wanted it off my skin.

03 April, 2014

's avatar

(Edp)

Maurice Roucel's work is some of the most refreshing in modern perfumery. His best perfumes, like Missoni and Broadway Nite, share an inimitable sense of humor and trashy happiness that makes you wonder why more brands haven't joined the party. Insolence edp is my favorite composition by Roucel thus far. Its brilliance is its ability to be at once terrifically trashy and perfectly constructed, like a faultless drag queen. The L'Heure Bleue-like center of orange flower, violet, and heliotrope is flanked by a huge tobacco-tinged tuberose and a delicious capsicum note, adding up to an essay in perfect counterpoint. Beautiful, distinctive, and memorable, Insolence will always be an embarrassing treasure.

14 May, 2013

tinkerbell's avatar

Although a Guerlain lover this is not one of my favourites as can be a little cloying
    after a while.
    Definitely winter / evening Perfume I have Eau de Perfume

23 December, 2012

ynde's avatar

This was love at first smell. Testing out perfumes one day, I picked this up and sprayed it on my arm, put it down and moved on. When I got home, however, all I could smell was this lovely, delicate smell that makes me think that this would be the absolute defining smell of a 1920s style powder room. I don't get any of the synthetic/'nail polish remover' smells that a lot of other people seem to get on their skin - from start to finish it's sweet, flowery and powdery on me. This has become my signature fragrance that I wear whenever I don't feel like wearing anything else or just don't know what to wear. I definitely prefer it over the EDP for every day wear as well, which is just slightly too strong and overwhelming on me.

07 November, 2012

• Time Left: 24 days
    Insolence by Guerlain For Women 3.3 oz Eau de Toilette Spray New In Box Sealed
    • Time Left: 25 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Insolence By Guerlain Eau De Toilette 3.4 Fl Oz / 100 ML Full (Unboxed)
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 3 days
    STARTING BID
    MY INSOLENCE BY GUERLAIN 1.0 OZ EDT SPRAY FOR WOMEN NIB
    • Time Left: 21 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    My Insolence by Guerlain 1.6 / 1.7 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Women New In Box
    • Time Left: 10 days