Insolence Eau de Toilette (2006)
by Guerlain

Insolence Eau de Toilette information

Year of Launch2006

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerMaurice Roucel
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Insolence Eau de Toilette

Insolence Eau de Toilette is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Maurice Roucel

Insolence Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of Insolence Eau de Toilette

Genre: Floral Oriental

Comments on Insolence emphasize its aggressively fruity top notes and its resemblance to L’Heure Bleue, and both observations are accurate so far as they go. Yet it would be wrong to characterize Insolence as a more synthetic L’Heure Bleue with berries on top. It actually succeeds on it’s own merits as a stylish, distinctive, and a meaningful modern extension of the Guerlain line for women. The overall structure of insolence leaves no doubt that the reference to L’Heure Bleue, Vol de Nuit and, to a lesser extent, Apres l’Ondee, is a deliberate gesture on the part of parfumeur Maurice Roucel. The anise and vanilla are present in abundance, yet their more aggressively spicy setting and their harder edges mark Insolence as a thoroughly modern composition.

I’ve read complaints that Insolence is overly sweet, but I do not find it so. To my nose the sweet fruit and vanilla are well balanced by the prickly spices and woods that overlay the scent’s heart accord. Insolence is un-apologetically loud, with conspicuous sillage, so for me enjoying it requires a light hand in application. Used with appropriate temperance, Insolence is a very gratifying perfume.
17th June, 2014
A big old flowery, peachy explosion structured around the merging of violets with aldehydic fruit notes. It’s a huge, thick scent that feels surprisingly dated given its 2006 release date. There are a lot of berries upfront, but they don’t feel too jammy or even real—more like a culmination of food flavoring with a heavy dose of artificial sweeteners added. The sweetness lacks body and comes off a tad waxy, yet the whole composition is dense—which sort of contradicts the sweeter aspects and makes for a bit of a destabilizing wear. The fruits are too aldehydic—too dry and fake smelling, and it feels like it should have been far more diaphanous than it actually is. Consequently, rather than evoking the impression of, say, a fruit orchard—or even a bowl of fresh berries—I get more of an image of ‘70s hair salon in which the scent of loud, screechy berry shampoos are passed back and forth amidst the noise of hair dryers, running water, and loud chatter. This scent is cacophonous in more ways than one, and after thirty minutes, I wanted it off my skin.
03rd April, 2014
(Edp)

Maurice Roucel's work is some of the most refreshing in modern perfumery. His best perfumes, like Missoni and Broadway Nite, share an inimitable sense of humor and trashy happiness that makes you wonder why more brands haven't joined the party. Insolence edp is my favorite composition by Roucel thus far. Its brilliance is its ability to be at once terrifically trashy and perfectly constructed, like a faultless drag queen. The L'Heure Bleue-like center of orange flower, violet, and heliotrope is flanked by a huge tobacco-tinged tuberose and a delicious capsicum note, adding up to an essay in perfect counterpoint. Beautiful, distinctive, and memorable, Insolence will always be an embarrassing treasure.
14th May, 2013
Although a Guerlain lover this is not one of my favourites as can be a little cloying
after a while.
Definitely winter / evening Perfume I have Eau de Perfume
23rd December, 2012
This was love at first smell. Testing out perfumes one day, I picked this up and sprayed it on my arm, put it down and moved on. When I got home, however, all I could smell was this lovely, delicate smell that makes me think that this would be the absolute defining smell of a 1920s style powder room. I don't get any of the synthetic/'nail polish remover' smells that a lot of other people seem to get on their skin - from start to finish it's sweet, flowery and powdery on me. This has become my signature fragrance that I wear whenever I don't feel like wearing anything else or just don't know what to wear. I definitely prefer it over the EDP for every day wear as well, which is just slightly too strong and overwhelming on me.
07th November, 2012
The Edp needs to be classed as a different scent. I doubt I'll ever love the EdT like I love - and live for - the EdP. It is truly a scent that I love with all my heart.

It is a classic in my wardrobe; it has a warm sexiness about it that just makes you say YUM when you smell your arm. I bury my face in my arm multiple times during the day when I wear this scent. I'd call it a dark evening or winter scent, but a powerful sexy woman could pull it off in the summer evening or during a sexy lunch date. It is pretty loud, but in a creamy floral way. It truly melts in my skin, and all I can say is... Yum!

EDIT: A few months later, and I'm not so in love. It lacks complexity that I admire in Serge Lutens and Amouage. I fear I have outgrown this one.
24th May, 2012 (last edited: 11th August, 2012)

Add your review of Insolence Eau de Toilette

Shop for Insolence Eau de Toilette products online

Shop for Insolence Eau de Toilette at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Insolence Eau de Toilette

Member images of Insolence Eau de Toilette

There are no member images of Insolence Eau de Toilette yet. Why not be the first?