Black Aoud (2006)

Black Aoud information

Year of Launch2006

HouseMontale

About Black Aoud

Black Aoud is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2006

Reviews of Black Aoud

Thumbs up for this little beauty but beware as this Tiger packs one hell of a punch.

I get virtually no oud. Not even the slightest hint. If it's there I can't smell it. It's all about the roses. But Roses for men. Dark and moody roses.You just need to be careful on that trigger. 1 spray is probably enough for everyone.

UPDATE - I had to get rid of this. Wife hated it and after a while it became so overbearing that my eyes started to water!!
02nd May, 2017 (last edited: 15th November, 2017)
A dark, powerful scent, lasts 24+ hours. I did 4 sprays from a sample and it would not leave my nose until showering the next day. Smells like roses and burning candles in an old, dark church. The rose smell is actually nice but just go very light on sprays.
I wore TF Noir de Noir and these are similar with the Montale being the more heavy and intense of the two.
09th January, 2017 (last edited: 15th January, 2017)
Rose is a tricky scent - you love it or hate it. I'll start off by saying "I hate it". I got BA in a decant sampler, put on 2 drops (not aware of the rose), and immediately began to get a headache. I tried to scrub it off with a wet washcloth, but it wouldn't budge. This stuff is certainly powerful and stubborn.

To me, this smells like my grandmother's body powder. The synthetic rose dominates whatever other notes are in here, and does not relent even after 8 hours (even with the scrubbing attempt).

If you like rose, you might like this. If you dislike rose, run away from this one.
04th May, 2016
This is the best rose fragrance. This fragrance is in my top five for sure. I cant quit smelling my wrist.
29th February, 2016
A huge combination of rose, aoud and patchouli, opulent but still classy, fantastic longevity.

Once I casually discovered this recently released EDP in the old Montale's shop in Paris I immediately fall in love with it, so much that I progressively abandoned (gave them to friends) all my perfumes collected in many years.

Actually I use it alternatively with some few fragrances and in these years many people asked me about my perfume and some of them bought it.

I usually buy black aoud in Montale's boutique in Paris, it seems better in term of quality/longevity.
29th December, 2015
From a sample...
Finally acquired a sample of Montale Black Oud. I was interested to wear it as it seems to be one of the more popular of their oud fragrances. Although I'm not an expert , I have sampled about a half dozen oud-rose fragrances, which to my nose all seem indistinguishable in scent and quality. Black Oud is another indistinguishable oud-rose, with the single exception of it's synthetic, plastic like structure and near nuclear projection.

On the first wearing of BO, I quickly realized that Montale is a house whose formulations are seriously strong, and I had to shower off and start over because with 3 sprays the sillage and projection were massive. On my next attempt with just one spray to the wrist, I fared better and could give Black Oud a fair evaluation.

My first impression, trying to disregard my first attempt, was that BO is decidedly synthetic rose, patchouli and oud. It took a good two hours for BO to settle down enough to where it didn't smell like some cleaning liquid. After the viscous opening, BO settles into a common, yet dark wintery oud-rose fragrance. The rose is dark and rich, making for a somewhat heavy fragrance. It all still seems a bit plastic to me and it never really developed into a natural scent that I would want to wear or could enjoy. I could detect it on my wrist 24hrs later.

I probably need to wear this one again a few times to appreciate it, but right now it's not for me, so I'll go with a Neutral rating.
20th November, 2015 (last edited: 11th December, 2015)

Add your review of Black Aoud

Shop for Black Aoud products online

Shop for Black Aoud at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Black Aoud

Member images of Black Aoud

There are no member images of Black Aoud yet. Why not be the first?