Black Aoud (2006)

Black Aoud information

Year of Launch2006

HouseMontale

About Black Aoud

Black Aoud is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2006

Reviews of Black Aoud

This is the best rose fragrance. This fragrance is in my top five for sure. I cant quit smelling my wrist.
29th February, 2016
A huge combination of rose, aoud and patchouli, opulent but still classy, fantastic longevity.

Once I casually discovered this recently released EDP in the old Montale's shop in Paris I immediately fall in love with it, so much that I progressively abandoned (gave them to friends) all my perfumes collected in many years.

Actually I use it alternatively with some few fragrances and in these years many people asked me about my perfume and some of them bought it.

I usually buy black aoud in Montale's boutique in Paris, it seems better in term of quality/longevity.
29th December, 2015
From a sample...
Finally acquired a sample of Montale Black Oud. I was interested to wear it as it seems to be one of the more popular of their oud fragrances. Although I'm not an expert , I have sampled about a half dozen oud-rose fragrances, which to my nose all seem indistinguishable in scent and quality. Black Oud is another indistinguishable oud-rose, with the single exception of it's synthetic, plastic like structure and near nuclear projection.

On the first wearing of BO, I quickly realized that Montale is a house whose formulations are seriously strong, and I had to shower off and start over because with 3 sprays the sillage and projection were massive. On my next attempt with just one spray to the wrist, I fared better and could give Black Oud a fair evaluation.

My first impression, trying to disregard my first attempt, was that BO is decidedly synthetic rose, patchouli and oud. It took a good two hours for BO to settle down enough to where it didn't smell like some cleaning liquid. After the viscous opening, BO settles into a common, yet dark wintery oud-rose fragrance. The rose is dark and rich, making for a somewhat heavy fragrance. It all still seems a bit plastic to me and it never really developed into a natural scent that I would want to wear or could enjoy. I could detect it on my wrist 24hrs later.

I probably need to wear this one again a few times to appreciate it, but right now it's not for me, so I'll go with a Neutral rating.
20th November, 2015 (last edited: 11th December, 2015)
Is a rose still a rose when it’s mixed with patchouli & aoud? Yes, to its bitter core. The combination of rose, aoud & patchouli is almost ubiquitous in the Mideast or so I’m told. This is obviously Montale’s stab at it. I’ve never been to the Mideast but Montale’s take is very compelling.

Let’s start with the rose. I could use words like deep, floral, not-your-grandmother’s-rose but that would be a disservice. The rose is stunning, in a word. Opulent, dark red roses come to mind. I can’t tell if it’s synthetic or not but keep it coming, Montale.

The aoud and patchouli seem to hover at the same low frequency plane. The woody tones give BAoud its heart and base, like a rose growing from the noble piece of wood.

I have a recent version and it still lasts for days. I would add that the sillage isn’t as powerful as it used to be but that may be a good thing not to fill the entire opera hall. Montale’s flagship BAoud is still wonderful and a blast of exotic air.

09th October, 2015
Montale's Black Aoud.

I like how BN lists "rose petals" rather than "rose."

I could see this being used to bless one, or to exorcize. Rose petal, Aoud and mandarin are the dominant notes. A heavy ethanol pricks your nostrils initially.

I Enjoy the formula, truly. Very confronting, I picture it being used on the predominantly dressed-in-black type, well structured cheek bones and completely indifferent to opinion. Not for me, I am more into the animalic kind. If you are kind of a Perfume bad ass, buy this frag.

8/10 (purely for admiration of craftsmanship.)
08th October, 2015
This is one of the best of Montale offerings. Overall it has that Montale DNA and reminiscent of others in the line, but this one is better blended. It's simple but interesting; the dark rose paired with pungent oud is what it's all about from the start and well into the base, because the opening and the heart doesn't change much. The rose loses it's power with time, but the oud doesn't until very late, reversing the proportions of the rose/oud scent to the oud/rose. The longevity is very good and the projection is medium (I suppose the current formula is toned down a bit, because it's not a nuclear bomb as the older reviews are stating, but the performance is still good). In the last hours, when it has become a skin scent, it's softer, mainly a musky patchouli scent with just a touch of oud.
01st October, 2015

Add your review of Black Aoud

Shop for Black Aoud products online

Shop for Black Aoud at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Black Aoud

Member images of Black Aoud

There are no member images of Black Aoud yet. Why not be the first?