Black Aoud (2006)

Black Aoud information

Year of Launch2006

HouseMontale

About Black Aoud

Black Aoud is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The scent was launched in 2006

Reviews of Black Aoud

I acquired a decant of Black Aoud over the winter. In cooler weather, it retains its hissing, medicinal opening for several hours. I would get traces of something more luxurious, but they were fleeting.

Now that it's summertime, and Portland has been hitting triple digit temperatures, I gave Black Aoud another shot to see how the heat might change things -- and it did, noticeably! Walking around town, going in an out of shops on a hot afternoon, Black Aoud smoldered with all it had to offer. As with all scents, it didn't last as long in the heat, and yet was still generous in its duration.

Who says big, tenacious perfumes shouldn't be worn on hot days? Along with Bandit and Tubereuse Criminelle, Black Aoud has become one of my favorites for scorchers. Like the aforementioned, it's novel, inedible, cutting through heat-induced dazes to keep my mind clear.
02nd August, 2015
Salutation.

A different fragrance,A new dimension.BLACK AOUD MONTALE is one of those fragrances that is unlike anything you have smelled before.The fragrance presents a completely exceptional composition.It has a nice noticeable scent but not overpowering. Mysterious,Magnetic,Warm,Expensive,Gorgeous,Woody, Unpredictable,Senesual and Perfectly Unique.

it starts more like an real classic arabian with a great touch of oud.the notes are so perfectly harmonized especially rose and oud are so strong and dominant to my nose.the confident character will wear this perfume and feel the magic. it is not for the faint hearted.however everybody's chemistry is different and it's going to smell different on everybody but something is certain, BLACK AOUD is a unforgettable masterpiece.

Anyway BAM is one of the most majestic scents admist the MONTALE impressive line-up..It is a very good attention grabber fragrance and definitely make a sensual statement.Totally I would highly recommend anyone loking for a unique scent for Evenings or Romantic events.

Sillage?Magnificent.

Longevity?Noticeable on my skin.

13th June, 2015
Montale Black Aoud's title is appropriate, as this immediately conjures a dark oud, contra the more red pepper oud of Red Aoud, which I've tried previously. Rose and patchouli round out the eponymous note, creating a dark, heavy concoction that seems ideal for use on winter nights, given its density and seriousness. I found the patchouli more significant in the opening and the rose more significant in the dry down, which is the opposite of what I'd expected between the two. Nonetheless, this yields a softer, creamier dry down that does make the fragrance lean unisex, even, though I'm assuming this is marketed to men primarily.

Like Red Aoud, projection and longevity are very strong. Montales aren't in the highest price echelon but it's good that for nonetheless higher pricing ($120 / 50ml, $170 / 100ml), an EDP delivers in a powerful way. I'm starting to become convinced that Montale frags are pretty worthwhile, so I'm eager to try more, though more ideally when the temperature drops.

7 out of 10
02nd June, 2015
wonderful sillage and longevity....peppery rose opening nicely blended with oud..one of the best from Montale, maybe the best!
21st April, 2015
Dominant rose atop 'westernized' oud, i.e. synthetic medicinal. N-u-c-u-l-a-r strength. Projects for light-years. Lasts for eons.

As with many others, dialing in on the proper dose for this one makes all the difference. Half spray around the navel works for me. I'm not into big florals yet I've got a softspot for rose. The thing is, I don't want to smell like rose to others, rather I want to be distracted from time to time throughout the wearing with a hint or notion that there just might be a vase-full in the vicinity. A little bit of Black Aoud does it well and for a long long time. Too much and it's a no-go however. There are things worse than gassing out a room by smelling of a ton of roses, but still.
23rd March, 2015
So...this is my fourth Montale experience and I hate to buck the trend but I just do not get it. I really want to LOVE one of Montale's offerings because I am searching hard for an affordable dark rose fragrance. And I like oud when blended (not as a solo note). Unfortunately, this fragrance is a major no-go for me.

In one word, this fragrance seemed "messy" when applied. Like others, I was curious about Montale's "ouds" and I hoped to experience a few fragrances...try to understand the hype. Like ALL the Montale fragrances I try, the opening of Black Aoud smells like an aldehydic, alcoholic, almost medicinal concoction that literally hurts my nose. Sensing a headache, I feel confused & dizzy...almost sick. I can barely tolerate the development of this fragrance on my skin because for nearly 30 minutes, Black Aoud is all over the place but consistently harsh harsh harsh...LOUD and almost vulgar.

After 20-30 minutes, I detect a bit of rose and BOAT LOADS of patchouli (which I really dislike as a primary note). As others have noted, Black Aoud is a loud, over-whelming, synthetic rose-oud fragrance that is not dark, rich, complex or mysterious. Resinous patchouli...that's about it. Pretty linear in the end with little development and no complexity.

But unlike the other Montale fragrances I tried, the longevity on Black Aoud is strong and silage is pretty high. Hate to say this but I had to scrub, eventually shower and wash all my clothing. And still, this fragrance persisted.

The house of Montale and I do not get along. This is another definite pass.
20th March, 2015

Add your review of Black Aoud

Shop for Black Aoud products online

Shop for Black Aoud at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Black Aoud

Member images of Black Aoud

There are no member images of Black Aoud yet. Why not be the first?