Black Orchid (2006)

PackagingDoug Lloyd
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Black Orchid

Black Orchid is a feminine perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer David Apel. The bottle was designed by Doug Lloyd

Black Orchid fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Orchid

Cloying horror.
28th January, 2019
Absolutely love this fragrance. The jasmine and gardenia notes are ever present especially initially. As I wear the scent longer spicy notes push through with very pleasing notes of amber, patchouli and sandalwood. It is a strong, yet not overwhelming fragrance that is enticing and sexy. It is a perfect fragrance for a romantic evening out or a sensual evening in. Long lasting and mysterious. This is one of my favorite perfumes to date.
10th January, 2019
I'm currently wearing Black Orchid on my right wrist and Velvet Orchid on my left, dazed and confused by smells and writing how it feels like. Don't expect anything about notes as I cannot possibly distinguish any, it seems like this fragrance is a soft monolith of sensual, wicked, sweet and dark smell, like a neat ravenblack hairdo with no stray hairs.

So how does it feel wearing Black Orchid? It smells like a witch's lair with a brewing kettle full of rotting fruit and body parts, it smells of black and damp earth, it smells of graves and dead bodies being raised again, it smells like this absolutely stunning necromancer witch who is hundreds years old, is wise, ruthless, sensual, confident, demanding, strikingly beautiful (is that an illusion? is she also rotting behind that mask of a mocking smile and raven hair?) and doesn't look older than, say, 35. So what are you doing in that lair? Are you a witch? Are you an imp, a servant of the witch, or just a body being raised?

Now this little black imp of perfume is sitting on my wrist for five hours and at this moment its scent is way less sweet that Velvet's, and its far more subtle and much quieter than Velvet Orchid. Just an hour ago I found its smell of rotting fruit way more welcoming than VO, which started being sickeningly sweet, but now rotting fruit are dying down and the smell is super subtle, yet dark, boggy and warm. (And I start smelling honey and flowers in VO instead of that pungent sweetness, so I'm starting to like it more over BO again, but these two are switching places in my mind and heart constantly, so I cannot tell which one wins in the end.)

So, do I like it? If I were honest, I would select my rating as "Neutral", as I can't fully embrace this darkness and cannot really dislike it as it's luring me in, but I don't think it's possible to be "Neutral" with this one.

Will I try this again someday? Oh yes, but not in a near future. Can this fragrance grow on me some day? It is possible, especially after bewitching several people and raising a horde or two of zombies. Will that day come soon? Absolutely not, as I'm not a necromancer or a dark sorcerer, at least yet.
03rd January, 2019
As original and ground-breaking as Tom Ford's scents are, at least under his own brand, Black Orchid certainly ticks that box. But in no way does this work in TF's favour.

Black Orchid is as hard to pin down from smell as it is from the description. I find it hard to pin-point Black Truffle for starters and the over-load of powder and dark, often mothball-like accents, make it hard to distinguish any note. Patchouli is certainly there as are some vague-smelling florals (jasmine perhaps?). It's almost as if the perfumer thought 'might as well throw some of this in there as well'. The result is an unfinished cacophony of notes, all working against each other. It's the opposite of 'perfect harmony'; a bit like getting five year olds to follow strict rules of football in the playground.

In terms of longevity and projection, Black Orchid goes on far too long and projects by miles. Anything it comes into contact with will smell of it for hours and this is only a good thing if you'd like everything around you to smell of it.

But why anyone would want to smell like this, I have no idea. I note that this is a well-loved scent by many - I have known several that wear this as a signature scent. Ultimately there are better versions of this around, such as the much tamer and more floral Black Orchid Voile de Fleur (now discontinued) and 2018's Ombre Leather which takes the Black Orchid theme and gives it a smoother edge.
08th November, 2018
Tom Ford's Black Orchid is an accomplished work of modern perfumery. Its notes are masterfully blended: jasmine, bergamot, and lemon dominate an opening that gives way to a surprisingly linear dry down, which to my nose is more floral and vanilla than chocolate or vetiver. It really is an exquisite scent on paper and on the skin, though I find it extraordinarily cloying when I wear it. A bitter, metallic note that I can't identify keeps Black Orchid well balanced, and is perhaps the only thing that doesn't turn it into a complete floral train wreck.

I would find Black Orchid absolutely compelling on somebody else. Probably more traditionally "feminine" than "masculine" (side note: not a huge fan of assigning gender to fragrances, but this one screams feminine to me).

Overall, perfection in theory. Disappointing in practice. Your mileage may vary.
31st October, 2018
I love this fragrance. but I do have to admit its very acquired. im into very unique daring scents and this one takes the cake. my mom on the other hand hates it. she considers it to smell completely raunchy. and in ways, it does. very hard to explain. the top notes literally smell a bit like sweat and sexual secretion but not to a disgusting extent. but also, it reminds me of a cold concrete basement. as bad as this may sound, its actually not. when it comes to the spices and floral undertones, think a mans cologne mixed with a womans perfume. its odd, and at first, I hated it. I smelt like I felt like I needed a shower because to me it smelt somewhat "dirty" as in unwashed. but once I gave it time, it died down to a very mysterious pleasant dark scent. and I felt very frisky wearing it. i have no real way to describe it, but ive never had anything like it. but now its my favorite perfume. if you want something extremely noticeable and you don't mind strong scents this ones for you. but if you want to smell sweet like flowers or candy, and don't like obnoxious scents then pass this one. i like the eau de parfum spray and even put some of it in my oil diffuser in my bedroom, and it smells a bit different in the air than it does on my skin. when its diffused it has even more of a musky scent. but wearing it, i prefer the rollerball. its a lot stronger.
06th September, 2018