Black Orchid (2006)

PackagingDoug Lloyd
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Black Orchid

Black Orchid is a feminine perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer David Apel. The bottle was designed by Doug Lloyd

Black Orchid fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Orchid

Absolutely love this fragrance. The jasmine and gardenia notes are ever present especially initially. As I wear the scent longer spicy notes push through with very pleasing notes of amber, patchouli and sandalwood. It is a strong, yet not overwhelming fragrance that is enticing and sexy. It is a perfect fragrance for a romantic evening out or a sensual evening in. Long lasting and mysterious. This is one of my favorite perfumes to date.
10th January, 2019
I'm currently wearing Black Orchid on my right wrist and Velvet Orchid on my left, dazed and confused by smells and writing how it feels like. Don't expect anything about notes as I cannot possibly distinguish any, it seems like this fragrance is a soft monolith of sensual, wicked, sweet and dark smell, like a neat ravenblack hairdo with no stray hairs.

So how does it feel wearing Black Orchid? It smells like a witch's lair with a brewing kettle full of rotting fruit and body parts, it smells of black and damp earth, it smells of graves and dead bodies being raised again, it smells like this absolutely stunning necromancer witch who is hundreds years old, is wise, ruthless, sensual, confident, demanding, strikingly beautiful (is that an illusion? is she also rotting behind that mask of a mocking smile and raven hair?) and doesn't look older than, say, 35. So what are you doing in that lair? Are you a witch? Are you an imp, a servant of the witch, or just a body being raised?

Now this little black imp of perfume is sitting on my wrist for five hours and at this moment its scent is way less sweet that Velvet's, and its far more subtle and much quieter than Velvet Orchid. Just an hour ago I found its smell of rotting fruit way more welcoming than VO, which started being sickeningly sweet, but now rotting fruit are dying down and the smell is super subtle, yet dark, boggy and warm. (And I start smelling honey and flowers in VO instead of that pungent sweetness, so I'm starting to like it more over BO again, but these two are switching places in my mind and heart constantly, so I cannot tell which one wins in the end.)

So, do I like it? If I were honest, I would select my rating as "Neutral", as I can't fully embrace this darkness and cannot really dislike it as it's luring me in, but I don't think it's possible to be "Neutral" with this one.

Will I try this again someday? Oh yes, but not in a near future. Can this fragrance grow on me some day? It is possible, especially after bewitching several people and raising a horde or two of zombies. Will that day come soon? Absolutely not, as I'm not a necromancer or a dark sorcerer, at least yet.
03rd January, 2019
As original and ground-breaking as Tom Ford's scents are, at least under his own brand, Black Orchid certainly ticks that box. But in no way does this work in TF's favour.

Black Orchid is as hard to pin down from smell as it is from the description. I find it hard to pin-point Black Truffle for starters and the over-load of powder and dark, often mothball-like accents, make it hard to distinguish any note. Patchouli is certainly there as are some vague-smelling florals (jasmine perhaps?). It's almost as if the perfumer thought 'might as well throw some of this in there as well'. The result is an unfinished cacophony of notes, all working against each other. It's the opposite of 'perfect harmony'; a bit like getting five year olds to follow strict rules of football in the playground.

In terms of longevity and projection, Black Orchid goes on far too long and projects by miles. Anything it comes into contact with will smell of it for hours and this is only a good thing if you'd like everything around you to smell of it.

But why anyone would want to smell like this, I have no idea. I note that this is a well-loved scent by many - I have known several that wear this as a signature scent. Ultimately there are better versions of this around, such as the much tamer and more floral Black Orchid Voile de Fleur (now discontinued) and 2018's Ombre Leather which takes the Black Orchid theme and gives it a smoother edge.
08th November, 2018
Tom Ford's Black Orchid is an accomplished work of modern perfumery. Its notes are masterfully blended: jasmine, bergamot, and lemon dominate an opening that gives way to a surprisingly linear dry down, which to my nose is more floral and vanilla than chocolate or vetiver. It really is an exquisite scent on paper and on the skin, though I find it extraordinarily cloying when I wear it. A bitter, metallic note that I can't identify keeps Black Orchid well balanced, and is perhaps the only thing that doesn't turn it into a complete floral train wreck.

I would find Black Orchid absolutely compelling on somebody else. Probably more traditionally "feminine" than "masculine" (side note: not a huge fan of assigning gender to fragrances, but this one screams feminine to me).

Overall, perfection in theory. Disappointing in practice. Your mileage may vary.
31st October, 2018
I love this fragrance. but I do have to admit its very acquired. im into very unique daring scents and this one takes the cake. my mom on the other hand hates it. she considers it to smell completely raunchy. and in ways, it does. very hard to explain. the top notes literally smell a bit like sweat and sexual secretion but not to a disgusting extent. but also, it reminds me of a cold concrete basement. as bad as this may sound, its actually not. when it comes to the spices and floral undertones, think a mans cologne mixed with a womans perfume. its odd, and at first, I hated it. I smelt like I felt like I needed a shower because to me it smelt somewhat "dirty" as in unwashed. but once I gave it time, it died down to a very mysterious pleasant dark scent. and I felt very frisky wearing it. i have no real way to describe it, but ive never had anything like it. but now its my favorite perfume. if you want something extremely noticeable and you don't mind strong scents this ones for you. but if you want to smell sweet like flowers or candy, and don't like obnoxious scents then pass this one. i like the eau de parfum spray and even put some of it in my oil diffuser in my bedroom, and it smells a bit different in the air than it does on my skin. when its diffused it has even more of a musky scent. but wearing it, i prefer the rollerball. its a lot stronger.
06th September, 2018
There's much ado about Tom Ford Black Orchid (2006), since it's a very controversial scent and one that started the house for Mr. Ford. Originally marketed to women, but sometimes also seen in the men's sections of Sephora or Ulta because guys like it too, Black Orchid is an unintentional unisex hit thanks to it's provocative nature that exclaims smelling like "a man's nether regions". As a bisexual but homo-leaning male myself, I can say that this simply isn't true, but like most animalic perfumes of bygone eras, this does try it's little heart out being something funky and virile, but it's simply no Kouros (1981) or Eau d'Hermès (1951), sorry Tom. What we do get is a fragrance that tries to be the darkest orchid-inspired floral on the planet, and I'd say it mostly achieves that aim thanks to ample amounts of dark fruit, chocolate, and aromatic notes spread throughout. Black Orchid is a strictly romantic affair, and like many old feminine orientals or indolic florals, is the essence of the "fallen" women or men of Victorian-era street culture. Tom Ford seems fond of this aesthetic, and would disseminate his work here in Black Orchid into a number of simpler and more-focused Private Blend pseudo-niche lines in the years that followed, so when a Tom Ford sales rep says this is the one that "started it all", they're not entirely incorrect. We don't know who the perfumer is, but we do know that Givaudan won the contract for development on this, and having smelled plenty of Givaudan perfumes, I'd say it's pretty evident this is no "light and pretty" IFF thing or "phoned in" Firmenich number, not that there is an overarching style among chemist firms, but just my observation with designer things in general.

Black Orchid opens with an oriental-chypre hybrid blast of jasmine, gardenia, blackcurrant, lemon, bergamot, mandarin orange and black truffle. All of this comes across like a head rush of floral citrus sweetness, with a dull thud of that truffle, which is essentially a musty fungus lusted after in culinary circles and the most expensive of such mushrooms available, hunted by pigs in the forests of France. The mustiness is slight, but combined with the indolic florals and juicy fruit creates apart of the "lust" in the scent. Black Orchid quickly reveals it's composite "orchid" note, which is reinforced with tuberose, cumin, cinnamon, and calone to add more sweet spiciness to the mix. Round and round we go by this time during Black Orchid's dry down, a fever pitch of fruit, florals, spice, and chemicals that will either scare away somebody of any sex, or lock them into place with fascination, like hypnotism through the nose. I find myself continuously sniffing the black magic on my arm during the trial wear, which is something I try not to do in public, and the animalic aspects intensify a little when the base appears. vetiver, patchouli, sandalwood, incense, amber, dark chocolate, vanilla, musk and balsam fir complete the package, with the fir and vetiver being desiccants while the heady incense, amber, and gourmand notes kick the romantic intent into overdrive, supported by a dirty kind of musk that isn't your usual designer staple. Black Orchid finishes in patchouli, with traces of the musk, chocolate, florals, and spice pinned down in a slightly itchy amber glow, which is the only weak point in the scent. Black Orchid has nuclear projection and eternal sillage, like a darker sibling to Joop! Homme (1989), so beware when applying.

The cumin, musks, and amber are likely responsible for the "crotch funk" claims from fans of the stuff, but they're very slight, and I've smelled 1980's fragrances that make this feel like a timid puppy by comparison, although for a new generation unfamiliar with the era of the powerhouse, I can see how this would feel very scandalous. I adore Black Orchid, and would easily wear it out to a bar or a night on the town. Likewise, a woman fond of the "fallen" image (think sleezy cabarets and back-alley taverns in 1800's London) would likely get a hoot out of this too, as it's street urchin/fop in a bottle. Tom Ford would pluck the truffle and patchouli from this, pairing it with rose and oud for Noir de Noir (2007) as part of his Private Blends launch, and the flanker Velvet Orchid (2014) would see Tom Ford set a whopping four Givaudan perfumers on the task of making the Black Orchid theme feel less scandalous and more effeminate, as if he was suddenly unhappy with the notoriety and unisex appeal Black Orchid had garnered. Overall, this is just a great floriental with tons of murky, mysterious character, bubbling with romance and naughty intent, designed for women but great for anyone as time has shown. Tom Ford would set a high bar for his Signature Line hereafter, which is why many of them on both the female and male sides of the line get shot down with impunity from critics and collectors. This is for all intents, Tom Ford's Jicky (1887), and that's a tall order to follow up. If you like sweet, sultry, and musky affairs, use this in your weekend or after work libations, but not really anywhere else. Great stuff but not for the timid.
20th August, 2018