Black Orchid (2006)

PackagingDoug Lloyd
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Black Orchid

Black Orchid is a feminine perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2006 and the bottle was designed by Doug Lloyd

Black Orchid fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Orchid

This perfume is so good that I kind of feel like any negative reviews of this one are sacrilege! :D I know we all have our personal tastes, but I don't think there's anything about "Black Orchid" EDP to not like!
When I first sprayed it on, my initial thoughts were "classy", "expensive" and "very well made perfume." Of course, I already knew the price range of the Tom Ford line of fragrances before I even tried this one on, but honestly, this perfume even smells classy, so I would have thought that even if I hadn't known that this is one of the highest end lines. It just smells like a high-priced perfume, seriously. The notes seem refined, sophisticated and distinguished, and all the notes are very well blended. The way "Black Orchid" was "put together" was very, very perfectly done. Nothing seems harsh, jarring or out of place, even though there are some very unusual notes and note combinations included. Everything just harmonizes wonderfully. After wearing "Black Orchid" for at least 25 minutes or so (after the scent has had a chance to develop properly) another thought I had is that "Black Orchid" reminds me a lot of "Nirvana" by Elizabeth and James, the black bottle version. The notes that I can smell the most in it are the sandalwood, combined with lots of sweet notes and incense. After I actually looked up the notes, I realized that I can actually smell the Mexican chocolate in this scent like crazy too, more than the vanilla, which is probably the main reason I love this perfume so much! :D So, it's not exactly like "Nirvana", but it still has very similar qualities. Overall, "Black Orchid" is very warm, sensual, exotic, spicy, dark and mysterious fragrance. I think that everyone who loves exotic and oriental perfumes should probably love this! Although it's listed as having a pyramid structure, to my nose, and on myself, it seems like a pretty linear fragrance as well which is another reason it reminds me of "Nirvana." What it smells like when I spray it on is what it pretty much stays smelling like. It's also a pretty quiet and subtle scent. It's not exactly a skin scent, but I find the notes it projects are never overwhelming. So, it's a great choice if you want a more soft or subtle fragrance. Overall, it's just a great perfume. "Black Orchid" definitely gets two thumbs up and five stars from me, and I highly recommend it to everyone! I don't think you'll be disappointed!
29th December, 2015
My favorite fragrance from Tom Ford for women. My wife wears this beginning at Thanksgiving every year and stops wearing it around Easter Week. The black currant, gardenia , jasmine and pulp citrus in the opening are incredible. The incense, patchouli, amber and chocolate in the base make this fragrance a distinctive favorite of mine through the cold weather. I always make sure she has a bottle. I love Black Orchid and my wife very much!
05th November, 2015 (last edited: 04th November, 2015)
I love the strength and the nose of this powerful fragrance.
05th October, 2015
There are no words to describe how much I love this fragrance. The reviews sum up its notes well. I would only add that I detect a salty texture to the blend between the heart and base notes a few hours in that roughens up the sandalwood. This scent smells much higher quality than a lot of niche fragrances and has outsanding sillage and longevity. Projection is pretty powerful, so I often only spray this on my wrists.
02nd August, 2015 (last edited: 06th January, 2016)
What is it about this fragrance? I came on this one too late, after half the world was wearing it. I never wanted to try it, it sounded so disagreeable and loud. So now that I have and discover it really smells nice on my skin, I don't know I can wear it because of its over-familiarity. Angel had that problem 20 years ago and I got tired of smelling it on everyone and everywhere. So I really hesitate to jump on the Black Orchid bandwagon.
But... this one should be totally not my style, and most fragrances like this smell awful on me, so  the miracle that this one wears beautifully makes me inclined to get it anyway.
The strangest combination of cucumber, silky flowers and dark chocolate.  Unusual, but undeniably silkenly sensuous.

It also wears like iron and lasts forever.
29th May, 2015
This had so much potential. The mix of oriental and fresh notes seems brilliantly judged...at least initially. It slowly starts to fall into the unpleasant Allure-like accord of "tropical" florals and vanillic basenotes. I get that it's intended to replicate the smell of an orchid, but it just doesn't work. They should have used the Voile De Fleur flanker as their main attempt. Thank goodness for the derivative, yet interesting events in the line like Sahara Noir, Grey Vetiver, and Noir.
18th May, 2015

Add your review of Black Orchid

Shop for Black Orchid products online

Shop for Black Orchid at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Black Orchid

Member images of Black Orchid

There are no member images of Black Orchid yet. Why not be the first?