Black Orchid (2006)

PackagingDoug Lloyd
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Black Orchid

Black Orchid is a feminine perfume by Tom Ford. The scent was launched in 2006 and the bottle was designed by Doug Lloyd

Black Orchid fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Orchid

I don't know why is this classified as feminine cuz depending on the skin PH it can fit very well on a guy too.

The opening is very medicinal and cold but in time some notes of vanilla, jasmine, patchouli, amber and musk are coming by, leaving an interesting and almost mysterious smell.

Not a masterpiece but a good choice for TF fans.

Projection, sillage and longevity are very big. Only 2 sprays will last on your skin more than you ever imagined.

31st May, 2018
Dear gods. <sigh> I tried to like this, I really did. It's original as all hell, and I do bitch a lot about the zillion boring, unoriginal fragrances out there. It's extremely accomplished, interesting work, and I also bitch about the dumbed-down construction of so much celebrity/drugstore juice.
But to me, it just smells awful. As a previous reviewer said, it's hard, sharp and loud. On my skin, the metallic/sweaty brutalist weirdness of the opening doesn't go away. Maybe that's body chemistry, but whatever it is, this is just not for me. Ugh.
28th February, 2018
Not, as Tom Ford himself deadpanned, evocative of the smell of a certain portion of a man's anatomy. The strange opening dries down to something pleasant, at least to my nose. After spraying the back of my hand from my newly arrived and eagerly awaited bottle, I couldn't stop sniffing it for the next few hours. Although the consensus is against it, wearing it to the office just might be the thing. After all, I've worn Kinski to work and nobody there asked me if I'd been...smoking!
09th February, 2018 (last edited: 21st March, 2018)
This is one of the perfumes that got me inspired to start collecting, again. I nearly fell on the floor, back then, when I smelled this for the first time. It still makes me swoon. I think it is genius. Chocolate, tuberose, patchouli, orchid, vanilla, gardenia, amber, musk, jasmine, and some fruit as well. Sultry. Sophisticated. There must be another word to describe this, for me, for my love of it. My mind goes blank when I don this. I think it takes some confidence to wear. It isn't for the timid.

Anyway, I believe as long as Ford keeps making this available, I'll always have a bottle.
23rd November, 2017
Want to attract girls? Wear something with a touch of "femininity!" Works brilliantly. I get more compliments on this scent than on any other I own, by men and women (mostly women). By far. Just the best scent I've ever had, and it will always be on my dresser.
Be warned, however, that not all men can pull it off. My ex-girlfriend actually used to steal sprays of this because she loved the scent so much! Buy whay you're comfortable wearing, and what you like, not what others say! This is STRONG. One spray, two maximum if you want to really project. Lasts a long time, and man does it smell good....haha
08th November, 2017
This is the holy grail of fragrances. This lingers for days and on a night out will turn heads. I can not compliment this fragrance enough, I think the only cologne for me which has a primal seductive effect on the opposite sex as much as this, is Creed Original Santal and these two fragrances are gulfs apart in term of their constituent ingredients.

Black Orchid is bit hard on the pocket but will last for a long time so is money well spent. Literally two or three sprays will last for a solid day. You will then get hints of it days later in your bedding or anything else you've come into contact with. Do not go over the top spraying this stuff and do not wear it in the heat. 9.9/10
19th September, 2017