Elixir des Merveilles (2006)
by Hermès

Elixir des Merveilles information

Year of Launch2006

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena
PackagingSerge Mansau

About Elixir des Merveilles

Elixir des Merveilles is a feminine perfume by Hermès. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena. The bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Reviews of Elixir des Merveilles

this is the Narnia scent;

of when those children step outside the wooden wardrobe into the mystical pine forests of Narnia

truly magic

08th September, 2017
I think I finally get this - and when I was offered a 30 ml in a swap, I decided to spring for it. It is by far the most bizarre of this entire "line" of scents (at what point does a flanker begin its own line?), and that is what made me come back - if this were labeled under Josh Lobb's Slumberhouse label, I believe it would have more approval - I mean, it is really weird...and wearable sometimes...but then it gets weird again. I like it like that.

Anyway, if you've always wished Josh would make an amber for the masses (he made "A", but that was not for the masses), and wondered what weird stuff you could do to amber, this is it...until Josh decides he wants to expand on "A" (hint hint).
23rd July, 2017
A very strong, sticky, pure, resinous amber with an animalistic side. It smells like my redhead's skin when I've been under the sun, only stronger, with an orange peel touch.
So so so great. Full bottle worthy. I feel it's masculine. Unisex for sure.
15th May, 2017
I’ve smelled quite a few “beachy” scents over the years, and I own several that I think are really exceptional, but nothing quite smells like the sun, sand, and sea to me than Elixir des Merveilles. That impression was overwhelming the first time I smelled it, and it’s stuck in my nose to this day.

That’s not to say there are any of the usual suntan lotion suspects in this—mostly it’s a conflation of foody and woody notes interwoven top to bottom with orange peel. But instead of smelling heavy and weird to me, what I smell each and every time I spritz this is a tremendously good-natured outdoorsy scent evocative of salt-tinged, sun-baked summer days at the beach. While I don’t reach for it often day-to-day, it’s the first bottle I toss in my bag when I go on vacation.
05th March, 2017
God, Elixir des Merveilles is such a weird perfume. The first time I tried it, I remember thinking – this right here is why people hate perfume. It was overly rich, sweet, muddy, with all the elements jumbled together in that overdone blur that defines “Rich Bitch” perfumes to me. The second time I tried it, I thought “I should learn how to read labels better” because I’d been aiming for the Ambre bottle.

Third time round, something clicked for me and I began to like it. Now I have odd, sudden cravings for it. I think it’s because I was finally able to figure out its structure. There are two sides to Elixir des Merveilles – the syrupy orange peels dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt on one side, and on the other, a massively butch clutch of resins and moss. It’s basically a super-gourmand grafted onto a super hairy-balled aftershave.

Both sides are as oversized as clown shoes. The oranges dipped in caramel and chocolate are sweet to the point of being grotesque. One minute you think it’s gorgeous, the next you think, Christ, this stuff is absolutely gross. The sprinkling of what feels like celery salt over the treacly mass is probably one step too far. I swing between feeling repulsed to wanting more. The countermanding element is rather chypre-like: a brusque, musky cedar, smoky balsams and resins, moss. It’s really quite dry, bitter, and smoky.

The exaggerated forms of the two parts give the perfume a cartoonish Jessica Rabbit shape. It’s like watching an overloaded plane trying to take off or Kim Kardashian walk across the road in a tight skirt. You half fear it’s going to topple over any minute. But somehow the whole thing seems to hang together and work quite well. It’s a great winter gourmand, and the oranges and resins make me think of Christmas and oddly, Theorema.

Just don’t put this on if you’re not in the right mood for it, because it sticks like glue and seems to grow grander by the minute. At times, I find it enveloping and rich – just right for a cold winter’s day. But at other times, it begins to wear me down. When my hand glides over the small bottle of it that I bought, I have to think twice before putting it on.
05th December, 2016
I've tried for years now to fall in love with Elixir des Merveilles. At first, I just found it confusing and gross. Then, with time, after learning to appreciate dark mossy green chypres, it started making sense to me (it's essentially a 70's-style green chypre galbanum and moss bomb with grassy patchouli and weird chocolate, topped with a very modern sweet citrus), but I still just don't really like it. The citrus feels out of place, like an attempt at modernization that falls a bit flat, while the chocolate actually comes across as weirdly animalic and the moss smells like the heat-sweats I get in bed when I've got a fever. I don't have the heart to give it a full-on thumbs down rating, just because I've spent so much time with it, so I'll give it credit for at least being unique and bump it up to a nuetral...
18th July, 2015