Elixir des Merveilles (2006)
by Hermès

Elixir des Merveilles information

Year of Launch2006

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Elixir des Merveilles

Elixir des Merveilles is a feminine perfume by Hermès. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena

Reviews of Elixir des Merveilles

I've tried for years now to fall in love with Elixir des Merveilles. At first, I just found it confusing and gross. Then, with time, after learning to appreciate dark mossy green chypres, it started making sense to me (it's essentially a 70's-style green chypre galbanum and moss bomb with grassy patchouli and weird chocolate, topped with a very modern sweet citrus), but I still just don't really like it. The citrus feels out of place, like an attempt at modernization that falls a bit flat, while the chocolate actually comes across as weirdly animalic and the moss smells like the heat-sweats I get in bed when I've got a fever. I don't have the heart to give it a full-on thumbs down rating, just because I've spent so much time with it, so I'll give it credit for at least being unique and bump it up to a nuetral...
18th July, 2015
The principal of redundancy is the principal affliction of modern life.
The fact that there isn’t any critique of the consumer society in perfumery world it is just because conformity and repetition cannot be missed in the blatant reiteration of perfumes. Business is the only reason for creating perfumes and the impersonal nature of the media and bloggers too saturated consumer culture! The world of smells has no arms! We can not defend ourselves from our ignorance since we call it culture.

There are three perfumes around a stupid idea:
L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme (2005)
Elixir des Merveilles (2006)
Gucci by Gucci pour Homme (2008)

In the first fragrance the stupid idea must be very stupid to please many people, in the second one the stupid idea takes on a more classic wave becoming more elegant and a little less moulin rouge. In the third scent the stupid idea is even more stupid than the first one.
The first one is pour home, the second is a perfume for women and Gucci is a fragrance for men.
This proves that stupidity is unisex as scents should be. The meaning and value of these perfumes are determined by our “chickenization”!

"My life is very monotonous," the fox said. "I hunt chickens; men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike. And, in consequence, I am a little bored. But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain-fields down yonder? I do not eat bread. Wheat is of no use to me. The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wind in the wheat..."
The Little Prince: Chapter 21

This reviewer may have conflicts of interest

15th May, 2015
Sweet orange treat!
Wonderful sweet perfume, highest quality with exquisite bottle. The packaging is to die for. This is my first perfume from Hermes and I was happily surprised with this unique smell. I tried this under an enormous heat while at summer holidays and the perfume never turned bitter while the aroma followed me all day long. I am sure Hermes has a lot of fans with such creations. The smell is like orange peals covered in sugar and dipped in brandy. Super perfume indeed !!!!!
23rd August, 2014
I received a sample of this from a friend.

In a nutshell: It's a very strong, intense orange creamsicle and is almost identical to Laura Biagiotti's Roma per Uomo, except that the Eau des Merveilles is so much stronger.

If you want a light version of this, Roma per Uomo is the way to go and relatively cheap. You should be able to get a bottle of it for around $30 on Ebay.
04th March, 2014
This tangerine scented fragrance really holds it's own. It has a slight vanilla note which balances it out from having that orange peel vibe. The woodiness helps simmer it down a notch. Without the wood note, this one would probably be a disaster. Overall, it's an ok fragrance but not one that I will be rushing to purchase again.
30th October, 2013 (last edited: 04th November, 2013)
Subtle yet provocative spicy citrus

If you love DandG Light Blue but you are looking for something that lasts longer or you are looking to make a statement without saying a word, this Elixir is just for you! It speaks for you as you enter a room. As strong as the citrus/tangerine notes are, other tones stepping forward almost equally strong is that of a freshly chopped tree infused with a hint of cinnamon and oriental spice. I love a powerful scent that doesn't leave the aftertaste of soap and powder like some strong chypres tend to do. Powerful musky scents also shoo's me off. But with this scent my first impression was tantalizing!! Comparable to that moment you crack the sugar coating of citrus-infused créme brulée with the anticipation of mildly sweet, heavenly indulgence. It has that woody aroma on the border of toasted hazelnut. The initial high citrus note tones down within the first couple hours (perhaps longer) into carmelized tangerine at which point the oaky, almost leathery pepper tones become more noticable, however, magically I think, the complex citrus lingers throughout the entire day. I highly recommend this EDP to everyone in their late 20's through late 30's to try this out if you are bored with light musky florals and clouds of soapy, sneeze-enducing EDP's. This is an attention-drawing elixir (without the 'slap in the face'), so if you're shy, rather not try?

Pros: Strong but not overpowering, lasts long, good for any occasion
Cons: None comes to mind!"

06th September, 2013