Intrigant Patchouli 08 (2005)
    by Parfumerie Generale

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 63 ratings

Intrigant Patchouli 08 Fragrance notes

Ginger, Patchouli, Mysore Sandalwood, Benzoin, Amber, Musk

Intrigant Patchouli 08 information

Intrigant Patchouli 08 is a unisex fragrance by Parfumerie Generale. The scent was launched in 2005 and the bottle was designed by Diolene

Reviews of Intrigant Patchouli 08

Showing 1 to 6 of 17 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar

Intrigant Pachouli is a nice “dark” and mellow patchouli scent with a peculiar sort of “powdery dead flowers” feel all over, a vibrant romantic mood with a slight stale aftertaste – like a dusty, old pot-pourri of dry flowers. Actually there is no flowers apparently, but the feeling of a “ghost of a chypre” is quite there in my opinion, I guess due to musks and benzoin. On the base I even smell something similar to ambergris – that same salty-rooty-mineral organic note. The addition of ginger provides a nice touch of spicy sweetness, which blends perfectly with amber to “warm” up the scent. I don’t find this that “intrigant” to be honest, rather – and pleasantly – gloomy and nostalgic, with a palpable melancholic and neoclassic refinement. A sophisticated and clever harmony played around patchouli, dark yet sweet and cozy, an elegant souvenir of a powdery-earthy chypre – like smelling your old aunt’s scarf. As other reviewers already noticed, it surely has a nice “vintage” feel, yet not smelling like a plain ripoff of an older scent. Not a masterpiece, but really pleasant, clever and creative.

7,5/10

12th December, 2014

jrmcquill's avatar

I have been marching through patchouli scents as of late, and I must say this one stands out nicely! This fragrance is rich and heady. Somewhat sweet, but a powdery-like quality tones it down. It is classy, yet ever so often I get a faint wiff of head shop that grounds it. After a loud, announcing opening, it settles in to a rich, spicy, vanilla scent that surrounds you like a velvet blanket! An easy two thumbs up, and a must purchase for certain!

11th October, 2014

Emoe's avatar

Got a sample, as I normally love Ouds, patchouli amber etc,

The first spritz is very heady, powerful and rich, but I get synthetic hardness too, which puts me off a little,
    On the dry down though, the powder note sits high, patchouli is there, albeit muted in the powder smell.

It's nice, and wearable, sliding more to a femme frag for me, but it gets a thumbs up as a nice frag.

14th September, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

This is a big ole powdery, ambery patchouli with more than a pinch of civet in it. In tone and feel, it recalls the big dirty floral fragrances I used in my youth in the place of sexual confidence. Shift a few of the set pieces around here and you have Joop! Femme, which was my weapon of choice back then. And yes, I am aware that there is nothing even remotely floral here. But there is something about the mixture of musk, honey, patchouli, and civet that conjures up a phantasmagorical white flower like jasmine or tuberose, especially in the first few minutes. Sexy, lush, and yes, strong as hell.

The powdery effect of the benzoin and musk persist well into the dry-down. The patchouli dies off completely, as does that lush (and probably non-existent) floral note. Underneath, the civet bubbles away, and overall, it smells like what I'd imagine the scalp of Marie-Antoinette smelled like underneath that massive powdered wig after a hot day swanning around in the grounds of Le Petit Trianon. Powdery, dirty, and slightly scalpy. It is intriguing, as the name suggests, but vaguely occupies, for me, the same territory as the filthy L'Air de Rien. Which is to say, too sweet, too suggestive of unwashed scalp, bad breath, and the unhealthy air of closed-up places. I'm giving it a neutral because it is a very interesting and original take on the patchouli theme.

08th August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Chypre

Intrigant Patchouli is intriguing indeed, with one of the most interesting developments I've experienced in some time. It marches in as a sweet, somewhat ambery patchouli with subtle and exotic fruit and floral notes hovering in the background. The floral notes strengthen over time, and even threaten to become overly heady, but the steady, clear patchouli and an undercurrent of very animalic musk offer an effective counterweight and keep the composition nicely balanced.

Yes, I do find something of the head shop in this scent, particularly as it gains in sweetness over the first hour of wear. Happily, I also sense some powder and faintly astringent spice deep in the background, and these notes lend the heart accord a sense of cleanliness not always found in patchouli-based scents.

The drydown takes a superb surprise turn from animalic patchouli toward powdery amber and vanilla to finish up soft, sweet and civilized, with just a hint of licentiousness lingering in the amber. Intrigant Patchouli has quickly risen to the top of my patchouli list.

17th June, 2014

jtd's avatar

I wanted to like this perfume so much. It seems to be one that captures the perfumery equivalent of that perfect combination of high and low art that every other form has examples of, and the innermost sanctum of the cognoscenti recognize intuitively. Think Warhol during the 60s in NYC. Perfumeries Generale has to my mind a well-earned reputation as a line of distinction with decidedly less bullshit than most niche firms. Smart, always interesting, willing to make an attempt and fail, but usually succeeding. So there’s the high art. Hippy patchouli: there’s the low art.

All the fumies love it, and give the blogging equivalent of a knowing nod when using it as a reference point. I get one big, gorgeous nose-full of hyper-patchouli, and then can’t smell it at all. Believe me, I know it’s there from the comments of those around me when I’ve tried it. Apparently it’s a patch bomb to most noses, where to mine it’s effectively a glass of water.

So this is my low self-esteem perfume. The one that captures the best of all worlds in perfumery and tells the world you’ve got smarts and taste. And I’m left scratching my head.

04th May, 2012