Cuir Venenum 03 (2004)

Average Rating: 3

Based on 69 ratings

Cuir Venenum 03 Fragrance Notes

Cuir Venenum 03 information

Cuir Venenum 03 is a unisex fragrance by Parfumerie Generale. The scent was launched in 2004 and the bottle was designed by Diolene

Reviews of Cuir Venenum 03

Showing 1 to 6 of 31 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Leather

Cuir Venemum is a dry, tarry leather that strikes me at first as a leaner, sparer version of Santa Maria Novella’s Nostalgia. It has some of that same new leather car interior vibe, but adds a bouquet of medicinal aromatics and shucks most of Nostalgia’s tobacco. The result is leather with a bitter edge and not even a hint of sweetness. This is miles away from the fruity suede of Cuir Ottoman or Daim Blond, but equally far removed from the provocative animalic leather of Oud Cuir d’Arabie or Eau d’Hermes.

As Cuir Venenum develops, a very bold myrrh note takes over the role of bitter accent. The myrrh expands steadily until, after an hour on my skin, it dominates the composition. The ongoing impression is highly medicinal, but in a bracingly pleasant manner. The medicinal leather and resin accord soldiers on in a straight line for hours, fading more than altering when it eventually dries down. All in all I judge this a fine leather scent, straightforward but not stodgy, smelling of quality, and easy to wear. It will appeal especially to those who like their scents dry and their leathers relatively “clean.”

12 June, 2014

Darvant's avatar

I don't see particular reasons to be severe with Cuir Venenum but frankly find it useless and almost uninspired. Can't really figure right occasions in my life for wearing it with full satisfation. How to label it? I would not define this scent a straightforward leathery one for sure since the somehow coconutty honey and the citrus are heady and just finally "brushed" by a musky suede caress. Orange, a lot of orange blossoms, hints of balsams, a minimal touch of dried fruits and heady honey welcome the wearer while a drier (gradually rising up) musky suede closes the round. At the beginning the slightly sour citric vibe contrasts with honeyed suede and dissonant balsams (but paradoxically this weird "askew" one is the more interesting phase of the evolution). The final outcome is more restrained, woody, defined, still orangy and leather veined. Not bad in its final substance but a somewhat soulless and aimless one.

18 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2014)

blackened's avatar

Spain Spain

generally I do not tolerate perfumes whose centerpiece is leather but here appears comfortably, with the smoothness of suede but without losing character. Crown the smell at all times, a liquorish point (similar to Italian limoncello) that resembles the plum. Somehow it made me think, a much more enjoyable tuscan leather. I love the balance here between subtlety and presence.Great longevity

30th December, 2013

Francolino's avatar

Leather!

Weird take on leather some might hate it, I basically love it for this sour note which I can't define as dirty, a very original composition, at least worth a try...if not a full wearing!

Pros: original take on leather
    Cons: limited sillage"

16 September, 2013

michailG's avatar

disappointing

CV is a leather perfume alright and maybe even a quite original one in its take on leather, but after generously emptying a tester on my skin I had very ambivalent feelings. It was very powdery, sour and dry with very little sweetness ... a dry leather without warmth. What really spoiled it for me was a dirty accord. It was like I was smelling unwashed hair. CV was enveloping with a good silage for the first couple of hours then slowly it disappeared. After 4-5 hours strangely enough there was no trace of it on my skin which now that I think about it, it was probably for the best. Disappointing!

Pros: dry take on leather
    Cons: dirty accord "

04 September, 2013

finzi's avatar

Oooo, this is unsettling...

It took me a long time to decide whether or not I like this and could wear it. Unfortunately I have reached the conclusion that it's just too disturbing! It's almost a fruity leather, with a juicy quality that makes my mouth water every time I smell it. I want more, I sniff again... and then I feel corrupted, on edge. There's something animalic about it, possibly bordering on fecal. That might sound gross, but this isn't an unpleasant perfume, it's just that I find it unnerving!

Despite deciding that I can't wear this fragrance I would definitely recommend sampling it. It's an experience! The sales assistant I spoke to said that this unsettling quality is entirely deliberate and is just what Parfumerie Generale intended.

My boyfriend LOVES this perfume and was pretty disappointed when I gave him my final verdict and told him it wouldn't find a place on my dressing table.

11th March, 2012