Japon Noir (2007)

About Japon Noir

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Japon Noir fragrance notes

Reviews of Japon Noir

I had a 4ml mini of this for the longest time as in years and couldn't place why this scent was so familiar to me when doing some dab samplings until I finally broke down and wore it to work a few days ago for kicks to break up my usual rotation. That was my first proper wearing of this scent. When I had gotten to work, my co-worker asked me if I was wearing Calvin Klein's Obsession for Men, no kidding. After he had asked and commented, I scrubbed immediately which I could still smell this mess afterwards. That sample went directly into the trash as soon as I had gotten home. Enough said...
12th October, 2017 (last edited: 24th October, 2017)
I'm glad to finally sample Tom Ford Japon Noir, one of the discontinued entries from the original 2007 Private Blend collection.

Japon Noir opens quite animalic, with a bit of leather and something spicy, but dries down to a resinous delight very similar to Plum Japonais, and although plum is not a listed note, the amber is very apparent, albeit enveloped in a sort of smokiness.

So, as compares to Plum Japonais, Japon Noir is darker, bolder, and a little more masculine. Still, it's not quite like anything I've tried previously, despite the slightly similarity to PJ in the dry down.

Performance is strong, as it projects pretty heavily to start and seems to last continually for a while. I would really only use this in the winter, and probably at night or for formal occasions, given its character and strength.

I'll try and track down a 50ml bottle of this one but it seems to be a near-impossible task nowadays.

8 out of 10
09th December, 2016
An 80's Spicebomb if there ever was one. Powdery middle with a woody-floral dry down. Nice sillage and projection, should've never been discontinued, but that makes it that much more special. Four out of five stars.
11th December, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
Sweet and smoky but very mild on my skin. Fruit and amber round it off in an interesting fashion. A shame that on me it has poor projection and appalling longevity - an hour and it's gone.
03rd August, 2012
surge Show all reviews
A lot of people probably don't get or like this scent, but I really, really do -- I love it.

At first I kind of got that "old lady" vibe from it like someone else described, but I think that only lasts for 5 minutes or so. After that it's all mystifyingly dark smoke in a crowded nightclub. I also don't see what this scent has to do with Japan, but hey -- it works for me.

I tried both Noir de Noir and Japon Noir and I like Japon Noir better.
I go back and forth on this but I really think Noir de Noir is too feminine, whereas the smokiness of Japon Noir makes it more masculine while still being a very sweet scent.

I prefer to use this scent as a top layer and put Terre D'Hermes (Parfum version) on the base -- they go very very well together.
28th December, 2011
Japon Noir is sweet in a jolly rancher way, with some vaporized smoke. Truly awful and disgusting.
15th January, 2011

Add your review of Japon Noir

Shop for Japon Noir products online

Search Amazon for Japon Noir

Member images of Japon Noir

There are no member images of Japon Noir yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Japon Noir