Japon Noir (2007)

Based on 86 ratings

Japon Noir information

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Reviews of Japon Noir

Showing 1 to 6 of 14 reviews.

rbaker's avatar

Sweet and smoky but very mild on my skin. Fruit and amber round it off in an interesting fashion. A shame that on me it has poor projection and appalling longevity - an hour and it's gone.

03 August, 2012

surge's avatar

A lot of people probably don't get or like this scent, but I really, really do -- I love it.

At first I kind of got that "old lady" vibe from it like someone else described, but I think that only lasts for 5 minutes or so. After that it's all mystifyingly dark smoke in a crowded nightclub. I also don't see what this scent has to do with Japan, but hey -- it works for me.

I tried both Noir de Noir and Japon Noir and I like Japon Noir better.
    I go back and forth on this but I really think Noir de Noir is too feminine, whereas the smokiness of Japon Noir makes it more masculine while still being a very sweet scent.

I prefer to use this scent as a top layer and put Terre D'Hermes (Parfum version) on the base -- they go very very well together.

28 December, 2011

nsamadi's avatar

Japon Noir is sweet in a jolly rancher way, with some vaporized smoke. Truly awful and disgusting.

15 January, 2011

upsilon's avatar

Dark, midnight purple, decadent, and expensive. Japon Noir is also poker room smoke personified in an eau de parfum. I find it smells very feminine. I purchased a bottle after being wow'ed and confused by this scent, but soon realized I didn't particularly enjoy wearing it so decided to sell it on eBay. It is too heavy and sexually ambiguous for me to justify keeping. Never the less, a very unique scent I respect and will instantly remember should I smell it again.

05 May, 2010

The_Cologneist's avatar

Japoir Noir first starts off as a lighter version of Obsession, the alcohol smell is quite noticeable in the opening, so try not to sniff for a few seconds. Afterward it takes on sort of a ginery/inky aroma. Very strange and different, it actually kind of smells like blood and rust. What I noticed about this stuff is that it gets stronger as it cooks on your skin, but only in the first 10-15 minutes. Those first 10-15 minutes were quite harsh to me, and overall Japon Noir gave me a slight headache. It's not a really bad fragrance, it just isn't for me; it's hard to dislike something so unique though, so my rating is neutral.

18 April, 2010

holyzoo's avatar

Japon Noir is a rich, decadent, velvety, inky, dark purple, black potion that is closer to what I thought a perfume called Poison or Opium would be like. I'm still baffled as to how to describe what it smells like from a breakdown of notes. However, I have smelled something vaguely similar in Polo Double Black which shares no similar notes. I sampled Kyoto, and Japon bears no resemblance to me whatsoever. Kyoto is a cypress incense woods.

Japon drys down to a warm amber leather with a trail of the opening accord, that I'd attempt to describe as an aged vinted fruit/flower.

I scored a whole bottle along with Oud Wood after carefully sampling over 150 targeted fragrances cross referenced on Basenotes, Fragrantica, and blogs. Japon is extremely unique. I'm surprised there's not much excitement over this, but I suppose it's the price and strangeness. I love it!

15 March, 2010

Add your review of Japon Noir

Search for on eBay United States

█▓▒░ DISCONTINUED TOM FORD PRIVATE BLEND JAPON NOIR ░▒▓█
    TOM FORD JAPON NOIR 4ML EDP EAU DE PARFUM PRIVATE BLEND MINI DISCONTINUED
    • Time Left: 17 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    TOM FORD SET 5 PRIVATE NOIR, BOIS, GARDENIA, JAPON, MOSS-EACH 2 ML ✸DISCONTINUED
    • Time Left: 16 days