Bois Rouge (2007)

HouseTom Ford
PerfumerDavid Apel
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Bois Rouge

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection.

Bois Rouge fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois Rouge

I am a little baffled after wearing Bois Rouge and comparing its listed notes with what I smelled. My perceptions are also rather different in its details from what most reviewers assess this scent to be. I primarily find it to be a spicy, woody scent with prominent leathery undertones. I find an accord of woods and leather that isn't far removed from Bel Ami or Declaration. I find Bois du Portugal mentioned, but they are somewhat different in my books due to the nature of the spices. While I am not able to isolate individual spice notes in the Creed, Bois Rouge smells of something that distinctly hints at cumin. On my skin, Bois Rouge lasts an appreciable six to seven hours with moderate projection for about the first three hours.

Bois Rouge isn't anything special, but a decent, commendable woods fragrance in an overcrowded genre. I find it to be a tad synthetic smelling at times (as is usual with Tom Ford Private Blends) as opposed to something like Bois du Portugal or Bel Ami which possess natural elegance. Bois Rouge has some mild smokey aspects that add a dimension of interest. Bois Rouge sits at the cross roads of the leathers (Bel Ami) and woods (Bois du Portugal), but is much less distinctive than something like Declaration that occupies the same niche in my books. Overall, Bois Rouge is more likely to appeal to Tom Ford collectors than discerning enthusiasts.

It is nice, but is nice good enough?

25th December, 2018
Atypical, pleasant, and thought-provoking are the main descriptions I'd give to Tom Ford's Bois Rouge scent.

Woody-oriental-leathery-sweet-green is the vibe I get from BR. Requisite bergamot opening leads into the funky forest of fragrance sensation that closely resembles TF's Japon Noir. Earthy, sexy, sublime EdP that defies immediate definition, BR feels smoky, oily and mossy as well, with tasteful dashes of jasmine and patchouli.

I read some reviewers liken aspects of BR to a soiled rag soaked with mechanical oil; I agree with that assessment, but I'm glad that this is not the dominating essence of BR...just a daring quality that takes it to a new direction (I got a similar vibe from Bulgari's Black, which has a candlewax and smoke thing which smell odd on its own, but it is a contributing aspect that shapes that scent into something much greater).

Moderate sillage and okay longevity. Worth checking out for its atypical quality; opinions may differ on whether it'd be wearable, man or woman, and that would require an in-person test spritz.
23rd September, 2018
surge Show all reviews
Probably one of the weirdest TF private blends if not the weirdest. It has the skeleton of Japon Noir but has this sweet woody band-aid ish hypnotic thing going on. I guess it's sandalwood. I don't get leather at all...I'm at a loss for words on this one, it really is very hard to describe and not in a good way. Not sure why I ended up buying this one...probably because it says Tom Ford Private Blend on the bottle and is discontinued. Unlike Japon Noir though, which is one of my favorites, this one barely gets any use at all. This one like Japon Noir isn't masculine or feminine, it's just plain weird! Sorry I know that isn't doing it justice or helpful, but I don't know what else to say lol.
05th June, 2015
A nice, old fashioned sawdusty sandalwood, dusted with cinnamon and pepper, passing through a green phase before drying down to a careful vanilla and ambrox. There's also a weird synthetic chemical smell over everything that kind of reminds me of the smell of a band-aid. Perhaps they were trying to simulate a pinch of oud, or maybe it's a tribute to the late 70's woody chypres that drowned in weird waxy plastic synthetics. Either way, the smell isn't bad, though I'd MUCH rather wear BDP or Santal Noble for my retro sandalwood fix.

My real problem with Bois Rouge has to do with its concentration. Something in there (I think it's that plasticky aldehyde) is ratcheted up so high that it knocks out my nose, leaving me smelling nothing when I sniff myself. Meanwhile, I occasionally catch whiffs of very strong sillage, so I know it has kept going. Personally, I find this style of building perfumes very frustrating, and so I'm lowering my vote to a neutral in protest.
05th March, 2014
rbaker Show all reviews
From the begin I get, after a brief moment of harshness, wood and mild smoke and that is what remains. On my skin the wood develops nicely, but close to my skin. Longevity is not great - about two hours.
03rd August, 2012
On my skin, this smells like a greasy rag from a mechanic shop. It's smokey for sure, but the oily rag odor kills it for me. I think it's too smokey, to be honest.

No bueno (for me). I much prefer BdP by Creed.
12th March, 2012

Add your review of Bois Rouge

Shop for Bois Rouge products online

BOIS ROUGE TYPE - TOM FORD - EDP - 2.5 oz Eau De Parfum - Unisex Great Dupe!

End Date: Friday Apr-26-2019 11:00:34 PDT

Buy It Now for only: $29.99

Buy It Now for only: $39.99

Buy It Now for only: $69.99

Member images of Bois Rouge

There are no member images of Bois Rouge yet. Why not be the first?