Oud Wood (2007)

About Oud Wood

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Oud Wood fragrance notes

Reviews of Oud Wood

love this! excellent performance. Not an oud guy typically, but this opened a new fragrance style for me. Worth giving it a go!
12th March, 2017
Did you ever try something that immediately disagreed with your particular body chemistry and repulsed you? I'm sorry to say that this is the case here with me. This immediately soured on my skin and I've had this "rotting celery" scent on me all day. I had the same exact reaction to Yatagan a few years back. Sorry, this one is not for me.
07th November, 2016
I’m surprised that nobody’s mentioned the fact that Oud Wood smells a lot like Dzongkha. Specifically, the oily, rubbery cardamom that adds a green, celery-seed-like note to the composition in both fragrances, setting their character dial at once to the savory (as opposed to sweet).

It’s interesting to me the way the different facets of the fragrance – the green spice of the cardamom, the smooth woods, and the oily/industrial facets – add up to a smell that is recognizably “oudy” without ever really smelling like oud when you smell it up close, on the wrist. Once you draw your head back, the disparate parts seem to coalesce into one amalgamated flow of fresh, green oily oud wood.

It smells wonderful – smooth, integrated wooden parts with a rich fleshiness or milkiness to the base. It smells impersonal, too, like a much-admired building in an award-winning industrial complex. It doesn’t have a soul, so it’s easy to make it one’s own. There is something creepy about it, and yet also mesmerizing, like that video that’s been doing the rounds lately with the papier mache, robot-controlled faces biting and licking at each other.

It strikes me easily as masculine but not in a butch way that would preclude me from wearing it. Actually, I guess it is truly genderless, or rather, sexless – as sexless as a Ken doll. I love its creepy, putty-like texture. It’s almost off-puttingly smooth.

My husband liked this sample. It smells expensive and luxurious, he noted. I should mention that my husband loves pure oud oil, and because I test a lot of it, he is familiar with many different oud profiles and has come to love the fiercely animalic ones.

These are his comments: “I really like this. But that’s not oud. It is very safe-smelling. I would recommend it to people who wear suits. Real oud oil smells crazy, wild. It doesn’t have limits. This fragrance does have limits. I suppose that’s what makes it perfect for the workplace.”
26th September, 2016
Stardate 20160918:

One of the better ones of the Private Blend Line.
A nice synthetic oud along the lines of Montale/Mancera. But much better blended than Montales.
I like the Rosewood note and the whole thing just works.
Now I doubt there is any pure oud or SW in this but the synthetics are nicely done.
A pretty linear scent (but then linearity is the hallmark of this line) that you should try.

This one, like the other TF, is not worth the full retail and decant should be the way to go

19th September, 2016
For me, Oud Wood is the most 'tame' and unimposing scent from Tom Ford.

From the moment I sprayed it on at the shop, I could not stop pressing my forearms lightly against my nose to enjoy off the the various notes. I could not get it out of my head until I bought the bottle a few days later.

Of all Tom Ford scents I have, this would definitely be my favorite, and will purchase again. It is also the one that seems to be getting much lower than the other TF I have :)
16th September, 2016
Neutered Oud. Unisex, all age and season with TF Private Blend quality. For the man/woman that demands quality, but not attention. Pleasant and easy to wear. Does everything well, but does nothing remarkable. It is distinctive, yet forgettable at the same time. Sillage and projection are soft. Longevity average.
Creed's Royal Oud is a better version of the tamed Oud. Redundant if you own both. Note breakdown is accurate, but think muted volume.
16th September, 2016