Basenotes needs your help!

If you have found this site valuable, useful or entertaining, would you be willing to support us? Our current goal is to upgrade our ageing forum system and bring it to the modern age! Find out More here

Oud Wood (2007)

About Oud Wood

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Oud Wood fragrance notes

Reviews of Oud Wood

Light and airy sandalwood in the opening and later there are some florals that suggest a unisex scent. Sexiness provided by the cardamom and hint of vanilla. Smells classy and refined. Versatile for day or night, office or date.

Above average projection during first few hours and then by hour 5-6 it's mostly gone. Lasts longer on clothes so be sure to apply there if you need more longevity.
03rd April, 2018
Smells exactly like Comet cleanser, the powdered disinfectant scrub in the green cylindrical cardboard tube that does wonders on stainless steel sinks and porcelain shower tubs, amongst other non-porous surfaces. Once you make this connection like I did, you'll never wear this again. When I used to frequent the Tom Ford counter at my local Nieman's, the sales rep lady and I use to joke about this connection, honest. I even did a comparison for amusement purposes by spraying a little on my arm and sniffing the top of the Comet container, the similarities are uncanny, still can't even believe it. An original formula of Oud Wood in the brown flacon is just a strong smelling spray version of Comet cleanser.
03rd February, 2018
I think this special fragrance is on the masculine side but could easily be worn by connoisseur women. Very woody, but a bit sweet as well.
30th December, 2017
I used to wear this a lot but I've grown a bit tired of its sweetish medicinal notes. I now prefer Tobacco Oud, which has stronger, more masculine notes. Gave my bottle away to my daughter, who loves it, and it's now her signature scent.
21st November, 2017
TF's Oud Wood is a very nice, albeit subtle scent. It is not the powerhouse that other TF's are, and leans more toward masculine than unisex in my opinion. It has average silage and nearly less than average projection.

Oud Wood starts out with a woody, somewhat ozonic, slightly aquatic feel to it. I can see how others have linked this to a piece of driftwood washed up on the beach. It dries down to a very nice vanilla/subtle wood note - classic TF vanilla in fact.

Overall, this really is a quality cologne that smells quite nice....initially I got some Acqua di Parma Essenza in it. I don't think it's remotely worth the high retail price (whereas I DO think Tobacco Vanille is), so I'd advise decanting instead.

I give this a thumbs up, but on the lower end because of projection issues, and the more linear scent that doesn't stand out much like other TF's do to my nose.
12th October, 2017
Oud Wood seems to be TF's modern take on the semi-traditional oud fragrance. It opens with a cherry like rosewood and spice which conjured my toddler aged chest cold cough syrup that I dreaded to swallow. Fortunately this quickly fades and develops into the heavenly oud-tonka-amber accord that my experience associates with an oud fragrance. The rose note lingers in the background, but the heart of the fragrance centers on a rich earthy oud, sweetened with tonka and smoothed out by amber and vanilla. There's a slight gourmand tone in the nature of a winter fireplace toddy, yet it never fully turns into a malty coffee liquor, although the pairing would be quite enjoyable. Excellent sillage and longevity from two sprays. My wrist was under nose all day, so oddly difficult to wear in the office. The wife loved it, so an excellent choice for a evening out with close physical contact in mind.

Thumbs way up here.