Oud Wood (2007)

About Oud Wood

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Oud Wood fragrance notes

Reviews of Oud Wood

Kind of a bright sandalwood cardamom with a slight touch of sanitized oud. It doesn't smell bad. I don't understand why anybody loves this though. It doesn't seem to be something that would engender superlative remarks of any nature. It could smell like cleaner if you are looking for it. Boring. I can only assume this was more groundbreaking and interesting when it came out. Now it is generic and played out. Soft, weak, and unisex.
01st November, 2019
This smells just like I imagine Oud Wood would smell like after a small amount of research. But thats it. What a cop out. No imagination. Where is the creative interpretation? Who are you Tom Ford? You are joking on us with your price and brand? Just watch the gay suited sales assistant with attitude try and talk this one up on Youtube...eeeet is sooo subtle, classy. One of my faaaaavourites... all desperate euphemisms for ..well
I have to find some way of keeping a straight face when people ask me the price. I have several TF products because usually you can see where the actual value has been added and the branding is discrete. I only every buy at sale time so they are less ridiculously overpriced. With Oud Wood I cannot see any added value and as far as I know the colognes don't usually go on sale- not that I am fan anyway so I usually don't check. Plus this is not unisex as marketed.
22nd September, 2019
I simultaneously love and am disappointed by Oud Wood. It's beautiful. Spicy, woody, and sweet. It's not harsh by any means and is just as much a gourmand as it is an oriental. It's not in the notes, but I almost get a bit of cinnamon, like someone's baking snickerdoodles in a dense sappy forest. Has me periodically taking sniffs of my wrist throughout the day.

All that said, like others, for me the performance is not great. Two hours of projection, followed by another four as a mild (albeit still nice) skin scent. Must have been weakened as many with older bottles claim it to be beast. For what it costs, I deserve the beast I'm not getting. Wouldn't pay retail for it as it stands, but keeping my eye out for cheap decants.
03rd July, 2019
Opens with an wet woody accord widely used in designer oud fragrances to give an impression of oud. This accord quickly vanishes to leave the stage to a creamy sandalwood, supported by a hint of cardamon, spices and vanilla. Very linear, but lacks the complexity expected at that price point.
I like it, and I am not surprised this fragrance is so successful, since Oud Wood is a crowdpleasing sandalwood fragrance, and has little to do with oud, aside of its name.
That said, that doesn't impact the fact that it is a nicely blended fragrance, that may fit the bill for a pleasant unoffensive office fragrance.

While it may have been unique at the time it was released (2007, a few years after YSL M7), it does not anymore. Indeed, I have to echo other reviewers in underlining that this one is very similar to Versace Oud Noir (with the orange note being substituted by sandalwood, which gives a slightly more elegant feel to Oud Wood).
That said, I cannot justify spending 6 to 8 times more than Oud Noir for just a extra hint of elegance. Unfortunately, I also have to confirm observation made in many other reviews in regard to Oud Wood's poor performance.

I loved it when I first tested it on paper at the beginning of my frag journey, now after having smelt 500+ frags, it's just a I like for me, but really, nothing groundbreaking. Factoring-in price, average quality (absence of oud, unlike Amouage frags that are currently sold for half the price of OW), low performance and strong similarities with a fragrance that costs 6 times less, I cannot see any valid reason to get a full bottle, and will stick with Versace Oud Noir. Just my 2 cents.
When it will be priced under $75 for a 100ml bottle, I may rethink my choice. In the meanwhile, there are way more interesting frags around for the $300 it currently retails for.

Fall/Winter days, 20-40yo.

Note: while I like it, it gets a thumbs down rating because of the lack of complexity and poor performance, both unacceptable at that price point.
24th April, 2019
I love this scent however it does suffer from performance issues.

Will i buy another bottle. . . Yes.

I really do love how it smells and has to be probably my favorite take on Oud. It is just blended so well!

I just wish it performed better for the price.

22nd April, 2019 (last edited: 23rd April, 2019)
The first time I smelled this fragrance it hated it. You have to give it a try on your skin at least for one day to appreciate how nice is the smell.

* Longevity is very poor on me 2-3 hrs.
* Sillage is average, works better if is windy.
* Projection less than 1 meter.
* Scent is awesome. It stays close to my skin for about 8 hrs.

Will try to layer with Molecule 01 to see if longevity and projection improve.

I like it anyway, bought the 100ml because I have to apply 3 times a day.

12th December, 2018