Oud Wood (2007)

About Oud Wood

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Oud Wood fragrance notes

Reviews of Oud Wood

Just as strawberry-flavoured pop tarts taste nothing like real strawberries, but taste strongly of something everybody associates with all things "strawberry-flavoured", so it is with Oud Wood.

It does not smell of Oud at all. It smells of gazal musk, Iso E Super, and tonka bean. Yet somehow, you do recognise it as "oud-flavoured".

More importantly, it is a very satisfying and interesting smell: not something Tommy-baby pulls off very often.

01st April, 2016
I'm giving it a thumbs up but it's true what others have said - compared with Tuscan Leather or Tobacco Vanille, this one doesn't have much projection or longevity. I find I have to double the dose. Still very pleasant though - a good mid-season scent to my mind.
03rd March, 2016
Starts with a screechy "Comet" opening, develops into an interesting dance synthetic play around woods and drys down to an ordinary tonka, amber, vanilla base. A novelty fragrance, ultimately boring to this nose.
29th February, 2016

Lots of wood right from the start: rosewood and the oud has already moved into the opening… A tamed oud – all the animalism has been eliminated. I don’t get the pepper but the cool underlayment of cardamom provides an appropriate depth to the woods. The rosewood provides an excellent alto level wood tone while the sandalwood provides a solid bass to the cool oud and cardamom. The whole accord quite pleasing. I don’t think I would ever get tired this but I already know that I’ll never get a chance to test that theory: There is not much sillage off it, and it seems to be fading too quickly…

After a half hour of pure enjoyment, I have to wonder what happened to this pleasant, civilized accord. It could be nose fatigue, but I doubt it – it doesn’t come back even if I back off for fifteen minutes. But this doesn’t surprise me, though. Several of these pure deep, dark wood accords I’ve tested have had disappointing longevity.

This is a very nice fragrance for as long as it lasts. As a soft skin scent it lasts two or three hours after the sillage has weakened – its performance leaves much to be desired. And then there’s the thing about the futility of paying for a premium oud fragrance and getting only a short taste of a denatured version of it...
17th February, 2016
Smells like a finnish sauna to me.

Undeniably high quality juice, but it lacks depth and character.
23rd December, 2015
Thoughts, July 2015

Comet and latex. I guess the story Tom Ford is telling with Oud Wood is of a house that's in the midst of spring cleaning,a fresh coat of paint and new custom built wood bookshelves. Perhaps it's a high end restoration and flip? It definitely does have a 'construction materials' theme happening.

Very Flipping Vegas!

Thoughts, December 2015

Oud Wood is no less Comet-like now than I remember it. Definite cleaning supply/house restoration vibe with Comet and wood. It's futuristic and wants no ties to Z-14 or Old Spice. "I'm a different kind of stink" it says with it's scent. Strange yet shockingly familiar as the things surrounding you everyday. This is no small feat. It seems to be begging the question: Is it art? There is something strangely appealing about it tonight, though.

Thumb's up, but only the tiniest bit up from neutral, mainly because it's "New House Smell" in a bottle and Tom Ford was inovative enough to make it, knowing it would unconsciously appeal to many.

17th December, 2015