Oud Wood (2007)

About Oud Wood

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Oud Wood fragrance notes

Reviews of Oud Wood

As far as I am concerned this is the Holy Grail of oud/wood type scents. Tried it today and it blew me away. So majestic. Smells ancient but at the same time modern. The balance is just perfect.
25th August, 2017
There is almost a suede-ish opening to Oud Wood, but from there it quickly transitions to beautifully polished daek wood like you would find in some kind of old library or study.
It is clean oud wood, i don't find anything "dirty" here, but what i do find is age. This scent feels like it was discovered in a flacon hidden away for centuries and over that time all the ingredients blended together that you can no longer distinguish individual notes, or maybe it is vecause i have a poorly developed nose.
The vetiver, cardamom and amber actually lend a sense of airyness to this that prevents it from getting heavy and i dont really get much sichuan pepper or vanilla. It is an ancient, distinguished scent and in my opinion the best in the private blend series.

31st July, 2017
Strangely addictive scent that is feminine and masculine at the same time, I can't stop smelling it. It's a sweet medicinal woody scent laced with some rose and maybe a touch of vanilla. I suppose you could say this is a gourmand type of fragrance, it has a real sense of elegance about it and is never overpowering, It's blended extremely well , the rose and vanilla calm down the oud perfectly. Performance wise i'd say it creates a close quarters scent bubble that lasts around 4/6 hours, good for things like weddings and meet and greet events or a cosy night in with a loved one.
23rd May, 2017 (last edited: 24th May, 2017)
This is a beautiful and very romantic fragrance, very nice.

I've tried Tobacco Vanille , which I know many people love, and I love this even more. I think it's sexier. This is (arguably) worth the hype and even the price tag. It is beautiful, it's seductive, it's quality, but I find it more intimate (and definitely more sensual..) than Tobacco Vanille. I can't see how many people would dislike this. It's quite appealing.

The fragrance is based around an oud note, but I think it would be unfair to expect a loud blast of agarwood a la Arabesque, or in real Arabian style. No. This is Oud for western sensibilities, almost tuned down for people who don't like loud, in-your-face oud. To be honest, I don't expect this to be loud, it's very subtle, very sensual, and very sexy. It sits very close to the skin and doesn't project so far, so it's more of a scent that people who come up really close to you will go "wow, you smell incredible" kind of thing.

What I like about this is that it isn't your average rose/oud combination, it's oud but done with tonka bean, lavish vanilla, sandalwood and amber, coupled with a beautiful, beautiful rosewood note. I do recommend this one a lot. The only drawbacks in my opinion would be the projection. It's an Eau de Parfum and it sits very close to the skin. But, it's not one to announce your presence, it's an experience to share with that special person in your life, when they are close enough to smell and feel the warmth of your skin. It's a "melt in your arms" kind of scent.

In one word? Romantic.

Worth it? I think so... just really nice stuff.
19th May, 2017
love this! excellent performance. Not an oud guy typically, but this opened a new fragrance style for me. Worth giving it a go!
12th March, 2017
Did you ever try something that immediately disagreed with your particular body chemistry and repulsed you? I'm sorry to say that this is the case here with me. This immediately soured on my skin and I've had this "rotting celery" scent on me all day. I had the same exact reaction to Yatagan a few years back. Sorry, this one is not for me.
07th November, 2016