Oud Wood (2007)

About Oud Wood

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Oud Wood fragrance notes

Reviews of Oud Wood

I used to wear this a lot but I've grown a bit tired of its sweetish medicinal notes. I now prefer Tobacco Oud, which has stronger, more masculine notes. Gave my bottle away to my daughter, who loves it, and it's now her signature scent.
21st November, 2017
TF's Oud Wood is a very nice, albeit subtle scent. It is not the powerhouse that other TF's are, and leans more toward masculine than unisex in my opinion. It has average silage and nearly less than average projection.

Oud Wood starts out with a woody, somewhat ozonic, slightly aquatic feel to it. I can see how others have linked this to a piece of driftwood washed up on the beach. It dries down to a very nice vanilla/subtle wood note - classic TF vanilla in fact.

Overall, this really is a quality cologne that smells quite nice....initially I got some Acqua di Parma Essenza in it. I don't think it's remotely worth the high retail price (whereas I DO think Tobacco Vanille is), so I'd advise decanting instead.

I give this a thumbs up, but on the lower end because of projection issues, and the more linear scent that doesn't stand out much like other TF's do to my nose.
12th October, 2017
Oud Wood seems to be TF's modern take on the semi-traditional oud fragrance. It opens with a cherry like rosewood and spice which conjured my toddler aged chest cold cough syrup that I dreaded to swallow. Fortunately this quickly fades and develops into the heavenly oud-tonka-amber accord that my experience associates with an oud fragrance. The rose note lingers in the background, but the heart of the fragrance centers on a rich earthy oud, sweetened with tonka and smoothed out by amber and vanilla. There's a slight gourmand tone in the nature of a winter fireplace toddy, yet it never fully turns into a malty coffee liquor, although the pairing would be quite enjoyable. Excellent sillage and longevity from two sprays. My wrist was under nose all day, so oddly difficult to wear in the office. The wife loved it, so an excellent choice for a evening out with close physical contact in mind.

Thumbs way up here.
28th September, 2017
I'm a new convert to the frags of Tom Ford, having previously poured scorn on them all.
Oh boy, I don't care if this, or the four others I've recently purchased, are reformulated as they smell heavenly.

I wear frags for the whole experience, not just the smell. As with my other hobbies of coffee and wine, the scent journey starts with the unboxing and the anticipation of what's to come. Its a full sensory experience.

As soon as I take the cap off the bottle, this transports me to an opulent Narnia-esque woody grove, full of exotic tress covered in snow and ice.
Then I hit the sprayer and Winter is replaced by glorious springtime and I feel like i'm standing there enveloped in a gentle stream of warm, aromatic woody air, caressed and comforted on all sides.

A remarkable piece of perfumery, totally unisex, projects incredibly but is never suffocating or overbearing, you think its gone but then a subtle waft hits you so you know its always there, warm, aromatic and very satisfying.
I feel very fortunate to have in my collection.
22nd September, 2017
As far as I am concerned this is the Holy Grail of oud/wood type scents. Tried it today and it blew me away. So majestic. Smells ancient but at the same time modern. The balance is just perfect.
25th August, 2017
There is almost a suede-ish opening to Oud Wood, but from there it quickly transitions to beautifully polished daek wood like you would find in some kind of old library or study.
It is clean oud wood, i don't find anything "dirty" here, but what i do find is age. This scent feels like it was discovered in a flacon hidden away for centuries and over that time all the ingredients blended together that you can no longer distinguish individual notes, or maybe it is vecause i have a poorly developed nose.
The vetiver, cardamom and amber actually lend a sense of airyness to this that prevents it from getting heavy and i dont really get much sichuan pepper or vanilla. It is an ancient, distinguished scent and in my opinion the best in the private blend series.

31st July, 2017