Black Violet (2007)

PerfumerPascal Gaurin
Creative DirectorTom Ford
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Black Violet

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection.

Black Violet fragrance notes

Reviews of Black Violet

I don't find anything sweet or candied in this scent at all. Rather I get a subtle green mossy woody accord that is pleasant, but not in any way remarkable or outstanding. If there are violets here, my nose is missing them.

Turin goes on for almost a page in is tome, providing an interesting essay on the structure of true perfumes, but tells us little about the scent itself and no notes are provided on this Basenotes page. Therefore, it is difficult to discuss any of the ingredients.

If there is violet here, it is violet leaf, to my nose, not the flower. Perfectly pleasant, but not worth the price.
29th November, 2016
chad888 Show all reviews
Those Parma Violet sweets that was the staple of every cheap variety sweet bag from poundland that you would get every Halloween.

Pure candied violets.

I sprayed my gf with this and asked her opinion, she said exactly the same.

From opening to dry down it smells like those 1p for a packet sweets.

Never worn outside sampling my own bottle in my room.

Sickly, sweet, disgusting.
19th May, 2016
Tom Ford Black Violet, another discontinued Private Blend member, is a sharp floral, with woody and powdery elements. It's overall very feminine in my opinion and doesn't sit well on my skin. I can't make out many notes besides the violet itself. The note breakdown lists citrus and fruit at the top, which is possible, but it wasn't very strong or bright. The woodsy notes at the bottom are certainly the anchor but are still overwhelmed by the violet.

Decent on projection and longevity, I imagine this might work well for some women, and even some men, but it's definitely not for me.

5 out of 10
26th February, 2016
Genre: Floral

Sorry - no objectivity here! Sweet and cloying from the get-go, with a cheesy synthetic fruit opening and a chalky, saccharine-soaked heart accord that just has to be a joke. I'd hoped that some of the green bitterness of violet leaves would appear to temper the unrelenting chemical sweetness, but it never did. Tacky, trashy and cheap, Black Violet vies with Etat Libre d'Orange's puerile and disgusting Secretions Magnifiques for the title of Worst Scent I've Smelled This Year. Utterly disgusting.
10th June, 2014
Two Thumbs!

Love this one. Something sinister about it. While it is not a vintage smell, it does put a picture in mymind of times gone by. Perhaps Holmes' London - the great man stumbles across something hidden in a posh residence, a secret room full of "dark" mystery.
Dunno why, just does.

Seems to last for an age. Much longer on clothes and sheets.

Definitely unisex, it doesn't feel feminine on me or seem masculine on the Mrs.

Not overly complex in a note picking way. Pricey, I think it's worth a buy most definitely, just not at RRP if at all avoidable.
09th November, 2013
Massive x2

My first sampling of a Tom Ford fragrance, and although I'm intrigued, I'm not in love.

The idea of taking the fresh, shy violet and turning it into a heavy-hitting, dark, moody fragrance is audacious. In theory, it sounds impossible but somehow this fragrance pulls it off. The sweetness of violet is tempered, even overwhelmed, by the woody base. As for the success of this combination--well, I'm not convinced. Novelty is not the same thing as masterpiece. Do I like it? Yes, but I would not consider this as a future purchase. A sample is enough.

Sillage is massive, longevity is big as well. A sample could last for years. Good unisex fragrance. You need a big personality to carry this one well.

Pros: Strong sillage and longevity
Cons: Overwhelming for some noses"

19th October, 2013

Add your review of Black Violet

Shop for Black Violet products online

Search Amazon for Black Violet

Member images of Black Violet

There are no member images of Black Violet yet. Why not be the first?