Noir de Noir (2007)

About Noir de Noir

Part of Tom Ford's Private Blend Collection

Noir de Noir fragrance notes

Reviews of Noir de Noir

Noir de Noir, a rose fragrance with patchouli and truffle. I'm not into Turkish Delight or rose flavored truffles for that matter. I can tell that Elizabeth & James Nirvana Rose used Noir de Noir in some ways as a template. Noir de Noir is better made, but it's still not my style. Of the rose centric fragrances I've tried, Rose Flash by Andy Tauer is the one I've felt was the most accessible on my skin, but Royal Mayfair by Creed is the fragrance with a rose note that I've enjoyed the most out of all the rose notes for men that I've tried. Noir de Noir is for some, just not for me.
18th April, 2017
Dark is what this one is!! Noir de Noir is a foreboding, intensely rich oud experience with lovely rose and mossiness within. NdN must be worn in moderation, lest you chase others away with the sharp sensation of this Eau de Parfum!

I detected this on a lady coworker who’d worn it so well. I don’t know if I could do the same, though this scent is presented as unisex.

As a man, I’d rather turn to oud scents like Versace pour Homme Oud Noir, Atelier Cologne Oud Saphir, Zegna Indonesian Oud, Kilian Incense Oud, Black is Black Modern Oud, Dunhill Icon Absolute, or even Ralph Lauren’s Polo Supreme Oud in order to experience a more relatable, balanced oud.
24th March, 2017
I would 100% go for the Noir de Noir.
It is a white vanille chocolate rose, with an amazing drydown.
I like it, I love it, i can not live without it anymore.
It is my signature scent. I live in West-Europe, so a cold climate.
Noir de Noir does not bore me, does not annoy me, and I love every stage of it: the fresh deep rose in the start, the fruity spices, the patchouli chocolate and the superb vanilla.
I thought I liked Tobacco Vanilla, but it is a little cloying in the end, after smelling nothing but creamy vanilla with pipe tobacco, so I did not buy that, I found Tobacco Vanilla too linear, almost too simple.
But Noir de Noir has the same sweet vanilla, but a man can defenitely wear it, it is not the cloying chemical vanilla you find in designer/celebrity scents for women.
So, I like a scent that moves me, nothing does move me like Noir de Noir.
projection of NdN could of course be a little bit stronger, but... Noir de Noir is for YOU and the girl who kisses your neck...
10th January, 2017
Yesterday I did a simultaneous test with NdN on my left arm and Cafe Rose on my right. I'll be buying Cafe Rose soon, but Noir de Noir was just too dirty. CR was more nuanced, with the notes (saffron, rose, coffee) dancing and jiving, keeping things interesting deep into the dry-down. Of the two, NdN had less sillage and longevity on my skin.
21st August, 2016
Smokey rose with powder. Not masculine but not out of place on guys, could be alluring. Don't need many sprays with TF Noir de Noir, great sillage.
31st March, 2016
What's not to like? Rose, vanilla, patchouli and a touch of (synthetic, housebroken) oud--these things usually smell good together; in Noir de Noir, they smell great.

If you look in the dictionary (or online, or wherever we go these days for concise information) under the term "crowd-pleaser," I am certain you will find a picture of Noir de Noir. It also sums up the Tom Ford Privé style to a T--very woody, kinda sexy, equally intriguing on almost anyone of nearly any age or gender. Many of Tom Ford's perfumes have a slightly louche aura to me, which gives their wearer an air of being Experienced, in the Jimi Hendrix sense, regardless of one's actual worldliness. Noir de Noir's vibe of calculated mystery makes it the perfect scent for all kinds of prowling.

My old review (one of the first I ever wrote) is below. My comments about sillage and longevity lead me to suspect that I was smelling the recent reformulation.

I typically avoid sweeter Orientals--even Shalimar, much as I wish otherwise, blows up into a cloying mess for me. So when I want Oriental fragrances, I turn to masculines, or these modern nongendered frags that still kind of seem marketed as masculines. That said, Noir de Noir is right in my wheelhouse.

This is a smooth, honeyed, (very) woody perfume (if you're familiar with Tom Ford Privés, you'll know what to expect from the wood) with a lovely, smoky incense accord up top and a beautiful floral heart. Patchouli can skew a lot of different ways, and this one smells a little rosy (but as a wearer of feminine roses, I promise this is not "feminine"--it's nothing's like the Strawberry Shortcake candy "chypres" that promise the same notes but give you diabetes). When first applied, this had a really lovely sense of radiance, but it dies down pretty quickly. This isn't weak, but it's not a powerhouse, either. (That's too bad--I'd like more sillage for much longer at this price point).

Still, I would love this on a man, and I would love a man confident enough to wear this. I also love it on myself. I'll happily use up my sample. If I get a second wind out of this application, I'll happily make edits accordingly.

Edit later in the day: on me, this has dried down to a rich vanilla. Looking at the perfumer's notes, I guess I should have expected this. It's a very nice, creamy, spicy vanilla, and at this point, I do feel a little like I'm wearing Shalimar. But it's not the dry oriental I'm looking for. Also, if want a gourmand oriental (gourmiental?), that category's awfully crowded already, with Guerlain at the end of the road anyway.
09th February, 2016 (last edited: 04th March, 2017)

Add your review of Noir de Noir

Shop for Noir de Noir products online

Shop for Noir de Noir at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Noir de Noir

Member images of Noir de Noir

There are no member images of Noir de Noir yet. Why not be the first?