Hermèssence Paprika Brasil (2006)
by Hermès

Hermèssence Paprika Brasil information

Year of Launch2006

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Hermèssence Paprika Brasil

Jean-Claude Ellena:

A local tinctorial wood once widely used in Europe to colour fabrics red, ‘brasil wood’ gave its name to the country. With its power of suggestion, ‘bois de braise’ sparked my imagination and I chose paprika, a Brazilian pepper, to illustrate it. By mixing and matching, and using an iris-reseda-pepper association, I recreated its scent, which is more secretive and discreet than its taste.

Hermèssence Paprika Brasil fragrance notes

Reviews of Hermèssence Paprika Brasil

An interesting but vaguely unsatisfying perfume. On me, Paprika Brazil kicks off with regular old dinner-table black pepper mixed with bright violets. There's a nose-tickling red pepper smell in there as well that I think must be the paprika. This stage is actually quite clever. The interplay of the bright perfumey florals with the woody pepper is the kind of thing that makes J.C. Ellena famous.

This eventually dries down to a peppery iris mixed with a woody vetiver, which is what I actually smell for most of the day. Smelled up close, it lasts into the evening, but the projection is extremely weak, almost like the concentration was intentionally left very thin. To really get anything out of it requires a fairly heavy application - thank goodness these Hermessence samples are huge....

Overall, Paprika Brazil is nice, but it never really sings thanks to the low concentration. You could do better with Van Cleef's Bois d'Iris, which is similar but much stronger, though it lacks the clever violets at the start. I'm still giving it a thumbs up, but with some hesitation.
25th April, 2013
Raid floral
23rd July, 2012
I am a huge fan of JCE, but did like this one. Sour and dry on me. Just not for me. But I would stop short of giving a thumbs down.
09th July, 2011
Hello?! Anyone home?!

I mean.. seriously.. This is possibly the most impalpable fragrance I've ever tried..

And it's a shame because I think this would be not bad at all if you could actually smell something 5 mins after applying it..
03rd June, 2011
Paprika Brasil comfortably sits between all other fragrances of the same line (Hermessence), with its thin and minimalistic structure. Peppery spices and woods pleasantly balanced to create a traslucent and very gentle smell. Nice and well executed but I expected a little more from a supposed"exclusive" line by Hermes. A serious contendant if just half priced.
16th April, 2011
Underrated scent. Unique, yet simple. Smells like paprika and florals smothered in sequoia's. Longevity and projection are both stellar.
24th February, 2011 (last edited: 11th April, 2013)

Add your review of Hermèssence Paprika Brasil

Shop for Hermèssence Paprika Brasil products online

Search Amazon for Hermèssence Paprika Brasil

Member images of Hermèssence Paprika Brasil

There are no member images of Hermèssence Paprika Brasil yet. Why not be the first?