Albert Nipon (1983)

HouseAlbert Nipon
Parent CompanyThe Stephen Co > Frances Denney > Parlux
Parent Company at launchEsmark > Playtex Cosmetics > Max Factor

About Albert Nipon

Albert Nipon is a feminine perfume by Albert Nipon. The scent was launched in 1983

Reviews of Albert Nipon

I don't find this one spicy and woody until it dries down, and even then, it's by no stretch as spicy as something like Opium or Cinnabar, or as woody as, say, beloved Theorema. I have the EDT, and my closest reference is actually Mahora! It's big like that, and the "white floral" smells to me like the mellow, buttery, lovely tuberose in Mahora.

Now - I like the individual high quality components of Mahora. It's a Guerlain, after all, even if it's a suffocating disaster of a composition. Albert Nipon is better as a whole, more modulated and less of a behemoth, and with that floral butteriness and deep, smoldering base, it's just bewitching in small doses. It's certainly potent, even as an EDT, yet it melts into skin chemistry and has the softness of a vintage chypre as it dries down. I'm not sure I would have identified it as an 80s frag, or even as a floral oriental, because it just doesn't fit that neatly into one genre, much like Vol de Nuit doesn't.

I've never seen it listed anywhere, though I also get a fruit note used like the peach in Mitsouko or plum in old Rochas Femme. Not at all a fruity scent in today's terms, I recognize the fruit rounding its personality and bridging its divergent accords, a trick in the background.

Really nicely done, and not at all out of place in my wardrobe of old musty, weird, and powdery classics.

13th April, 2017
I originally tried Albert Nipon in the early 80s, when it was brand new into Harrods. I have only tried the Parfum version of ths fragrance, and it really is quite a remarkable one! From the elegant packaging to the beautful bow topped bottle, which reminds me of the original Chloe parfum bottle.

On me the perfume turns into a beautiful powdery mixture of Opium, Cinnabar and Jicky, with a very subtle chypre note thrown in. After about an hour of being worn, the perfume develops a note which reminds me of Coromandel, though it is not sickly like it.

It's such a pity that this perfume has apparently been discontinued, though the EDT is still being sold online (albiet in a much plainer bottle than the original, which was similar to the Parfum).

Fans of sweet oriental perfums will love this one
05th March, 2010 (last edited: 29th December, 2010)

Add your review of Albert Nipon

Shop for Albert Nipon products online

Search Amazon for Albert Nipon

Member images of Albert Nipon

There are no member images of Albert Nipon yet. Why not be the first?