Courtesan (2005)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 28 ratings

Courtesan Fragrance Notes

Courtesan information

Courtesan is a women's fragrance by Worth. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by Pierre Bourdon

Reviews of Courtesan

Showing 1 to 6 of 8 reviews.
    positive 5 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Valkyriespacegirl's avatar

I've been wearing this all day and it smells heavenly. It is not a gourmand, which is what I was expecting, but truly plays like an Oriental on my skin and the spices seem to come to the fore with a Chardonnay-like butteriness. That's the best way I can describe this, like a wine bouquet on the skin. I can totally imagine a Parisian Courtsan at the opera, with a wine glass in her hand and a lush corsage pinned to her dress smelling like this.

26 December, 2012

Red Theodora's avatar

I started a thread on the female fragrance disscussion forum - " any thoughts on Courtesan by Worth". Well, my sample has arrived.

Now, here are MY thoughts on Courtesan. Firstly, I'm wondering why Worth decided to call such a timid fragrance Courtesan. I've always thought of courtesan as bold, sexy, fantastically beautiful women desired by every man who sees them. That certainly isn't represented by this scent.

Neither is the word "gourmand", although the notes should lead in that direction.

All in all, I find this fragrance just confusing. I'm not saying it's a bad scent, but it's taken me many squirts to get any kind of reading on it. What I get mainly is a slightly syrupy, fruity cocoa butter smell with a little musk and amber in the drydown. Quite pleasant, but not outstanding.

16 July, 2012

JackTwist's avatar

This is wonderful stuff. Light, spicy, feminine oriental with a powdery dry down reminiscent of their Je Reviens. Note: later sprays remind one of Mugler's Angel drying down to YSL's Opium.

At first clove and cinnamon leap at you, announcing the oriental nature of Courtesan. Then a sweet wood note enters - the cardamom? Finally, the combination of spices lay gently but firmly in the air - the powdery dry down enters after an hour - the whole experience one of delight and buoyant fragrance.

Men, you may not be able to wear this - it is decidedly "feminine" in its gentle sweetness, but no reason you can't have a small bottle handy to enjoy at home in private moments.

Difficult to find stateside, though common through UK sites. I found a 2 oz. bottle of the edp at unlimitedperfmes.com - pricey though at $40 for this tiny amount.

Worth (no pun) experiencing for all lovers of oriental blends.

21st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 18 April, 2012)

TaraYvonne's avatar

Red Berries, very tart. Sweet juicy pineapple. Just enough tang to make it quirky, and yes I smell the pungent sea salt note. I won't lie, it is fruity. It reminds me of teenagers on a beach: Musky BO, fruit body spray, sea water brine. Kids that went swimming, dried off on the beach, got a little sweaty after some time in the sun and then tried to hide it with fruit-scented body spray. As unpleasant as that sounds, it really isn't. It brings to mind mixed drinks while watching the sun go down on the beach. Others have said that this couldn't be for summer. I think it IS summer in a bottle (instead of the usual pineapple/coconut-laced beach scent, they used raspberries/pineapple), and therefore perfectly fine for summer nights. Maybe not for the heat of the day, but great for night. Test it if you get the chance and decide for yourself. I won't buy this, but I did think it was pleasant enough.

18 April, 2009

Nostalgie's avatar

Courtesan opens with a hint of the fuzzy, sexy notes I associate with Bal à Versailles, but it is as if watered down BAV leftovers were reheated in rich,spicy sauce. I find Courtesan way too foody for me, and for its name. Makes me appreciate the unblushing animalic blast of Bal à Versailles. In fact, it’s as if the two names were switched at birth--kind of like Greenland and Iceland.

01st November, 2008

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

I agree with Mocachoc's review. I have been very impressed by this perfume, finding it complex but not muddled, elegant but not snooty and I very much like the slight salty note that leavens it. The notes listed sound like they should create a cacophony, but they don't. It's smooth and interesting and develops well over a number of hours, lingering pleasantly on the skin.

Looking at Twolf's comment, I think I would save it for cooler and less humid weather. I am reviewing it in autumn and it's perfect at this time of year.

I have a suspicion that this perfume may be another Tocade - one that becomes a popular hit purely because it smells very good. I hope so.

12 October, 2008

• Time Left: 26 days
    Courtesan by Worth 3.0 oz EDP for Women New In Box 90ml Spray Eau De Parfum
    • Time Left: 13 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Worth 'Courtesan' Women's 2.0-ounce Eau de Parfum Spray (Tester)
    • Time Left: 10 days