Firewood / Feu de Bois
    by Ava Luxe

Reviews of Firewood / Feu de Bois

Showing 1 to 6 of 11 reviews.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

On me, this is an incense and birch tar scent – I don’t get cedar or wood smoke. I’ve tried it twice. The first time it seemed resinous, dry and green to me; and thus I liked it a lot. The second time, the birch was much more noticeable. It combined with what I assume is myrrh to create a somewhat sweet, perfumed and tangy note that is a bit challenging. I can see why some people call that ‘synthetic’ or ‘plastic’. I like incense scents a lot, so I can find things to appreciate here. But it is not bottle-worthy for me.

27 August, 2009

foetidus

I get a strong aromatic resinousness immediately in the opening – perhaps this is the plastic note that others refer to. My nose doesn’t interpret it as plastic or synthetic, but I can see where it could easily be what the others are referring to. I am sure that I don’t like it. It probably has something to do with the birch note – it wouldn’t be the first time I reacted to a birch note this negative way. I don’t find it sweet, just strongly aromatic, bitter, and resinous, and getting way too close to being disgusting. To my nose, the birch note overwhelms the smoke and incense until the fragrance settles down to its heart notes, at which point Fire Wood becomes an enjoyable scent to me. I don’t think the enjoyment I get out of the middle and base notes are worth the unpleasantness of the birch tar opening. I also don’t find this fragrance very similar to a crackling winter fire. It wears very beautifully with a quietly rich, woody, close to the skin drydown, but I’d like a more pleasant journey to get there.

09 March, 2008

markc's avatar
    markc

This is after only 1 testing from a sample vial. I do have to say I wonder what could have been, because I do agree with the sythetic smelling note. I have the same problem with the Absolute version of CB Burning Leaves. On paper, this should be right up my alley. In reality, I wish it were a bit more natural smelling.

07 November, 2007

CEH's avatar
    CEH

Strange, when I tried this version of Firewood, it was less intense than some other "firewood" scents: Galliano, Sonoma Scent Studio's Fireside and Fireside Intense, for example. It had a slight hint of sweet/plastic, perhaps from the incense notes. It does not bother me; in fact, it adds to the depth of the fragrance. It is not my favorite version, but is nice and perhaps more enjoyable for those who find other versions of this scent overwhelming.

17 July, 2007

Kevin Guyer's avatar
    Kevin Guyer

To me this does not resemble the scent of fire, wood or incense. It smells synthetic, plastic-like even.

17 July, 2007

Wordbird's avatar
    Wordbird
    Wales Wales

As the other reviewers have mentioned, a very faithful woodsmoke smell. On a par with the Miller Harris roomspray for realism, if not better. As suggested by some other reviewers, I'd be interested to see her extend into room sprays, candles etc.

I got definite whiffs of cedar and tobacco; lots of smoke, drying down into ashes. In fact, I must admit to getting a touch of ashtrays, but that might just be the ex-smoker in me.

I found this very dry, too dry perhaps. In the end I sweetened it with a dab of Ava Luxe's 'Milk', which worked nicely.

11th June, 2007