L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes (2005)
by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes information

Year of Launch2005

HouseL'Artisan Parfumeur
PerfumerOlivia Giacobetti
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group
Parent Company at launchFox Paine & Company > Cradle Holdings

About L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes

Renamed to L'Ete en Douce from Extrait de Songes to avoid confusion with Goutal's Songes

Reviews of L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes

I've always liked linden blossom in perfumes, and this is a nice summery light floral with grassy notes and a little citrus hint from a dollop of orange blossom, except for an odd impression I get from it and from L'Eau de l'Artisan.

It seems like a chemical sweet smell that reminds me of rubbers (erasers) we had as children. There were two types - the standard almost grainy ones, and these snazzier coloured ones which were almost like a very stiff gel and had this smell which was sweet but somehow plasticky - I spent a lot of time smelling these and being tempted to eat them - they weren't the fruit ones that were supposed to smell like fruit, they just had this odd sweet smell. I've also gotten the same whiff from a deodorant I had at one stage. It's as if the various component notes produce this overall effect alongside the perfume. It does smell like a linden blossom or even like lilac but somewhat hyperreal. I read a review of this once that mentioned the smell of biro ink and it was dead on. Also ClaireV's review mentions gripe water, which has that wierd sweet smell too. So I'm not able to escape this effect and actually appreciate the perfume.
20th July, 2017
Kotori Show all reviews
First whiff is sharp greens and lilac. Then the sharp greens veer into quite sour territory, making me at first suspect my sample might not be fresh. There's a lot of moist earth here. It reminds me of the smell of the Lichterman Nature Center in Memphis, Tennessee, on a hot August afternoon. Swamp, waxy lotus flowers, and kudzu. There's a lot of algae, too, in this scent. It's artful, though perhaps not very wearable in its first few minutes. This is a pungently outdoorsy fragrance that really catches in the back of my throat (galbanum?). For the first 15 minutes, something sour just won't quit, then at the 15 minute mark, the clock strikes and I suddenly, finally smell a watery Linden and cucumbers. Those first 15 minutes are quite a ride. Overall, it is a careful and complex composition. It doesn't disappoint in terms of complexity of evolution, but I have mixed feelings about how it actually smells. After an hour or so, a pleasant hay-like note emerges and it is at that point that it truly represents itself as a linden-based scent to my nose. Enjoyable and soft in the drydown.
04th March, 2017
For me this one smells primarily of lilac, although most of the reviews describe it as linden. I've smelled linden in perfumes before, notably in Tauer's Zeta & DelRae's Debut, but those smelled much more sharply green than this. This is soft, pretty & almost creamy at times, with just a vague hint of sugared almonds. I do get the much-mentioned feel of freshly-washed laundry though, & although that might be a deal-breaker for many, for me this makes it a perfect go-to work scent for a lovely spring day. It's linear, but the projection & longevity are excellent on me.
01st June, 2016
L’Ete en Douce by L’Artisan Parfumeur takes the linden blossom away from the honeyed/hay-like properties of the tree and along a cleaner, more linen-fresh direction. While this might sound boring, especially to those who fear “laundry-fresh” or chemically-clean musks, let me assure you that this is far more interesting than it at first appears.

Here the linden note seems to be paired with an ambrette seed-driven musk, which to my nose can sometimes smell like bread flour or Grappa when paired with iris and rose (Chanel No. 18), green apple peel or hard pear liquor (I Miss Violet), or bread-like cumin when paired with other types of musks (Musc Nomade).

Here, though, when paired with the green, leafy linden note, the ambrette musk displays a watery, vegetal nuance, like dill or cucumbers. It is this striking gripe water note that connects L’Ete en Douce, in my mind at least (if in no one else’s) to the baby’s breath-like innocence of L’Eau d’Hiver, first, but even more so to Santal Massoia by Hermes Hermessence, 10 Corso Como, Bois Farine also by L’Artisan Parfumeur, and Santal 33 by Le Labo. In those other fragrances, the gripe water note floats up from the dill-like, sweetish properties of sandalwood mixing with milky or lactonic accords on the one hand, and the dusty/sawdust-like textures that come from cedar and other woods.

In L’Ete en Douce, the watery cucumber or dill-like note merges with the green, leafy linden and a puffy white musk to create something more like a fluffy white towel straight out of the drier. It smells clean, cool, slightly aquatic, and indeterminably green. I like it very much, because there is something childlike and innocent about it. It must be the gripe-water angle – somehow Victorian in smell, like old-fashioned British nannies and the like.

It’s also very much in line with the Helmut Lang EDP, although that is far creamier and more openly sensual. In fact, L’Ete en Douce and the Helmut Lang EDP are the only instances where I consider it acceptable to smell like a freshly laundered soft toy.

Is it true to the smell of linden? Not so much, in my opinion. But it’s a good example of a perfume that uses linden in a prominent role but manages to steer it to a non-linear, non-literal interpretation.
16th May, 2016
L'Eau de Linden?
This is a refreshingly natural creation, starring a grassy, almost lichen-like accord. It is dry but not dead, and quite musky. I almost thought my sample was spoiled at first whiff because I simply wasn't expecting the blend at all. It's like a bottled Summer romp in a Southern American grove. I often find orange blossom in floral compositions to be clawing its way to the top for attention, but here it is polite and lacy as a Jane Eyre side character.
As something I would seldom (if ever) wear I would be inclined to rate this one a 'neutral,' but it's just such a happy fragrance. And even when a cute and energetic puppy is being persistent and annoying, it's still a puppy.
08th February, 2016
Imagine you're sitting underneath a flowering linden tree. And then, the scent of warm, sweet grass kissed by the sun comes into the fold. In the garden, mint grows wild and the wind brings its scent to you, along with the orange blossom flowers on a neighboring tree. A few hundred feet away, someone is hanging freshly laundered whites on a line. There's a barn door open next to the house and the scent of hay joins the mix, making this fragrance a paradox as it is very clean, but also somewhat dirty, yet sweet. That's what this smells like on my skin. It is utterly beautiful. It's very similar to L'eau de L'Artisan, but also very different. They have the same feel of being in a sun-drenched scene with nature all around, but they're different scenes. This one can be worn by a man. It would be more at home on feminine skin, but my skin chemistry amps up the dirty sweetness of the hay note. Women should buy this and wear it often in the summer. Men should try before they buy and give it some time to develop on the skin and mix with their individual skin chemistry.
22nd August, 2015

Add your review of L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes

Shop for L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes products online

Shop for L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes

Member images of L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes

There are no member images of L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes yet. Why not be the first?