Fiore d'Ambra

Based on 56 ratings

Fiore d'Ambra Fragrance notes

Amber, Opium

Fiore d'Ambra information

Fiore d'Ambra is a unisex fragrance by Profumum.

Shop for Fiore d'Ambra products online

Reviews of Fiore d'Ambra

Showing 1 to 6 of 13 reviews.
    positive 10 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Anosmia Amnesia's avatar

Ok. Why am I all alone on this? Doesn't anyone else get a sharp green petitgrain/citrus opening similar to Ma Griffe? And this is actually kind of persistent to me. No one else sees an aldehyde sparkle early on?

A half hour in, a salty note is becoming more prominent, and a bit of creamy base, but nothing like the unctuous caramel of Ambra Aurea. I'm imagining a breezy Provençal hillside orange orchard (maybe I should say Provincia di Roma,) set about with herbs and flowers, fresh and and close enough to the sea to get some salt air. Carnation, geranium, tarragon, basil, black pepper, make the mix floral-spicy rather than savory-spicy.

Apparently I have led an unadventurous life, so I cannot identify whether any of the promised opium is present. Maybe I can smell poppy seeds if I scrunch up my mind's eye.

Neither have I ever smelled genuine ambergris. I find a lot of confusing references to amber, the fossilized sap, and amber, the pickled whale excrescence. Despite protestations to the contrary, there does not seem to be agreement among perfume marketers regarding which is which. In the case of Fiore d'Ambra, I do not get the sweet vanillic notes of many ambers, and the salty, somewhat animalic notes I do find make me think more of the descriptions I have read of whale ambergris.

I have sampled only two Profumum Roma fragrances, and they are very far removed from the more commonplace French-type perfumes I am familiar with. I do find them both quite elegant and skillfully blended, FdA more so than AA, because of FdA's counterpoints of sharp-hespiridic-floral-spicy balanced against salty-animalic-creamy. For guidance in deciphering Italian perfumes, I must recommend you to the highly articulate Darvant. For my part, I recommend experiencing Fiore d'Ambra.

16 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 25 June, 2014)

Colin Maillard's avatar

As the name goes, the opening is in fact "floral and ambery", with an earthy and slightly dark-mossy twist. The flowers are dense and narcotic, heavy and carnal – like tuberose, narcissus, gardenia, that class of sensual and rich flowers. Slight camphor base, well blended with the warm, dusty and velvety sweetness of the amber accord. I also smell quite clearly a salty-aldehydes note which enriches and amplifies the blend. Herbal notes, spices (cumin, cloves), perhaps a hint of tobacco complete the pot-pourri. Dense and elegant, not that original, a bit light too, but pleasant. On the drydown it also emerges a breezy, almost minty note, then evolving into a balsamic, herbaceous-medicinal accord, always amber-warm too, coming close again to Ambre Sultan (like Ambra Aurea), but without "that something", that "plus" it would need to actually stand close to that. Not bad, nicely done, but a bit mute to me.

6,5/10

09 June, 2014

deadidol's avatar

A beautifully structured amber with heady dose of opium.

It's the opium that makes this work as well as it does, merging with the amber effortlessly and conjuring up a slew of visuals.

The scent opens with a furry plushness akin to L'Ombre Fauve, but the opium soon makes its appearance against a dry amber foundation. Here, the note smells floral and incensey; sweet but not overdone—just dirty enough to generate interest in an otherwise opulent composition. There's a crisp vanilla undercurrent that's held low in the mix, keeping the emphasis on the central notes and allowing the scent to modulate between dry and plush. Beautifully rendered and cozy, this is amber done right.

It sits low on the skin though, so it's clearly designed for more intimate use, but I could see better versatility in this than some of the other amber-bombs available. It's probably the kind of thing that would work as well in the office as it would on a night out, yet it works especially well as a comfort scent. Nowhere near as intense or powerful as some of the bigger ambers, but in terms of composition, Fiore d'Ambra holds its own.

Pros: Plush without being screechy.
    Cons: Doesn't project—wears very close to the skin."

21st August, 2013

Sunsetspawn's avatar

At first I was not impressed with the powdery, straight up nature of this amber, but sometimes things can happen in a "development." Within about an hour the powderyness subsides and gives way to a little bit of a luxuriously odd soapy smell and a bare whisper of a sweet leather. I'm sure these are just impressions because I'm not seeing anyone else mention it, nor does the official copy on that website where it can be purchased. Perhaps it's because there is actual ambergris in here, or perhaps it's the opium, as I'm unfamiliar with both of these odors. Whatever it is, it's delicious and occasionally borders on edible, but it never quite gets there. I'm am a bit disappointed with the sillage and longevity, but sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles with a fragrance.

28 October, 2011

teardrop's avatar

England England

The first 30 minutes on my skin are spicy, camphorous & medicinal, almost musty. The amber sweetness then shows up, but l find it powdery rather than resinous; it doesn't become rich & vanillic until another hour or so later. This is not at all bad, but l personally prefer Ambra Aurea for a more satisfying, raw amber experience. l think Fiore d'Ambra is much more similar to Ambre Sultan than that one. This stays close to the skin, & lasts reasonably well. lt just didn't grab me.

10th February, 2011

scentsitivity's avatar

I tend to like amber scents and this is no exception. It opens with a potent amber, with spice notes and just a trace of floral. It dries down to a vanillic amber, very full and satisfying. I like it quite a bit. My only question is whether there are equally satisfying options at lower prices.

25 June, 2010

Add your review of Fiore d'Ambra