Let Me Play The Lion (2006)
    by LesNez

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 102 ratings

Let Me Play The Lion information

From the Shakespeare play, Midsummer Nights Dream: 'Let me play the lion too: I will roar, that I will do any man's heart good to hear me; I will roar, that I will make the duke say 'Let him roar again, let him roar again.'

Shop for Let Me Play The Lion products online

Reviews of Let Me Play The Lion

Showing 1 to 6 of 19 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar

Got an unexpected sample of this and forgot about it, then I grabbed it to throw it in my "to sample" box, but I noticed the name of Isabelle Doyen on it and said "well, it can't be bad", as I am a huge fan of her work with Annick Goutal. So I gave it a try, and... surprise! I like this. Quite a lot. It is something miles away from what I was used to associate to her name, this is a minimal synthetic scent – basically Iso E, cedarwood, aldehydes and ambroxan, some CdG or nu_be kind of fragrance. As alfarom suggests below, it has quite the smell of pencils being sharpened. And it's really super nice, well-executed (as you may notice from my "surprise", I am usually not that fan of this type of scents). I would have never thought Doyen had such a talent for this. It has the same exact incense note you can smell it at least two Goutal scents – Encens Flamboyant and Ambre Fetiche. But here it's obviously different – it's linear, geometrical, "harshly" simple, ascetical, meditative. And it has an unexplicable, really fascinating slight but palpable "vibe", which is not even a proper accord or smell, it's just a kind of a dense "cloud" feel, a sensation to be wrapped in a incense, vapourish, transparent but still materic foggy cloud – which paradoxically, you feel more clearly once you move your wrist away (or wherever you applied this). It's like if the concept and the heart of the scent lies in its sillage - in its absence. And that's why I named the aldehyde, notably the C12 - it gives the same feeling to me; you smell a "feeling" you get exactly moving you nose away from it, not towards it. Increasing balsamic vibe all over with a slight anise aroma, and it also gets darker and sharper as minutes pass. At some point, and just for a while, it gets unexplicably quite close to L'homme sage by Divine, which has quite nothing to do with this as regards of composition but still, quite the same overal smell (this may due to a temporary coincidence of the evolution stages of cedar, balsam, perhaps some kind of "fruity coffee beans" aroma together... or whatever, it's similar!). The drydown is pleasantly more "normal", balsamic, woody, ambery still with an incense vibe. Cool and distinctive!

28 April, 2014 (Last Edited: 29 April, 2014)

drseid's avatar

This one gets a weak thumbs up from me. Let Me Play the Lion smells primarily of a very light and subtle minimalist composition of cedar and incense at its heart, with a slightly more authoritative sandalwood and ambergris dry-down. The scent nearly disappears immediately after initial application, and then reappears thirty minutes later. That said, even when it *does* reappear, the appearance is so quiet and subtle that you barely know you are wearing a scent at all until the dry-down stage where it shows its metal just a hair... Doyen is an extremely talented nose, and Let Me Play the Lion does smell innovative and quite good for what it is worth, but her talents are being somewhat wasted here. Projection is non-existent and longevity is average. Nice scent that is worth a sniff, but not nice enough to warrant a full bottle purchase, IMO. 3 stars out of 5.

12 March, 2012 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

sblades138's avatar

I LOVE this fragrance! I've been tempted to write Demeter and ask them to make a "Warm Kitty Fur" or "Cat in the Windowsill" fragrance or something because I love the musky smell my kitties have after they've been sitting in the hot sun. Well, this is it! I must have found this one through one of the basenotes threads about cat fur...who knows? But I like minimalist woodsy fragrances on my husband, and he likes them, too (is it weird that I want him to smell like a dusty warm cat? hah!). He's not a fan of heavy spice on himself (but he loves it on me!), and he's been trying to find more woodsy colognes that he can tolerate, but I often steal this one to wear for myself, too (yay for true unisex fragrances). This one is just strong enough without being overpowering, and the longevity is decent on the skin - although very close to the skin after a few hours. It does have a dustiness to it, but I don't find it as musky or animalic as most labeled as such (I'm thinking of the strong civet in Jicky). This and Atelier Cologne's "Bois Blonds" are two favorites of his now, and they have similar dusty-woodsy attributes that we both find attractive.

09 March, 2012

alfarom's avatar

Pencil shaving incense! Dry, austere and minimalistic. An harsh woody (cedar) / incensey opening turning into a sandalwood dyrdown. Simple but compelling. Something that you'll love if you're into Comme Des Garcons kind of fragrances. I do.

20th May, 2011

iodine's avatar

I must admit I was caught by the name! I imagined a perfume that would have suited someone who sometimes asks their fellows to believe they can be roaring, daring, wild, even cruel like a lion, but everybody knows that they’re much more akin to a big, lazy cat dozing off on the sofa… The actual perfume didn’t disappoint my expectations: it definitely is a funny and playful fragrance, pretending to be serious, and a bit scary at the beginning, only to evolve into a very reassuring and woody warm skin scent.
    It starts with pungent seeds and spices- aniseed, a faintly sweaty cumin, black pepper that give vigorous support to a spiky, stern cedar. Then, a deliciously bitter and slightly fizzy, medicinal note that I ascribe to myrrh, and a fleeting but powerful burning encense emerge, giving air and light to the fragrance. In the drydown, the woods placidly hold the scene: a by now tamed, dry cedar and a powdery, sawdusty sandalwood, softened and smoothed by the sweet facets of the spices. The fragrance has quite a good longevity on skin and affinity with fabrics, to make you feel envelopped in a dry, dusty golden cloud, like a plush lion’s mane.

01st December, 2010 (Last Edited: 15 February, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Incense, sandalwood
    This is a simple, minimalist scent. It has a dusty, dusky sandalwood which gets some notes from its usual neighbor (cedar) and other notes from a slightly sweet, aromatic incense. The incense is restrained and I only noted it upon a second application. Essentially a woody and dry scent, it is also somewhat delicate, sitting close to the skin. The sandalwood hints at creamy vanilla but never goes there. It also whispers a kind of salty tang . If you are looking for a very subtle and restrained sandalwood, this would suit you. (revised)

06 May, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2010)

Add your review of Let Me Play The Lion