Encre Noire (2006)

PerfumerNathalie Lorson
Parent CompanyDenz > Art & Fragrance
Parent Company at launchPochet Group

About Encre Noire

Encre Noire is a masculine fragrance by Lalique. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Nathalie Lorson

Encre Noire fragrance notes

Reviews of Encre Noire

This scent inspires reviewers to wax about gothic castles and damp forest floors, of dense, woody darkness, of smoldering fires and carpet-thick smoke. It's all a bit overblown. Encre Noire is a sheer, translucent veil of smoky, woody vetiver, and little else...but it doesn't need anything else. It's a beautiful scent, paradoxically light and wafty given the typical denseness of vetiver and woods, and sporting just the right amount of vetiver's characteristic nutty sweetness. (It's also an Iso E Super bomb, so be aware of its tendency to fool your nose into thinking it's disappeared. The lasting power and sillage are actually substantial, provided it's not in your nose's blind spot.) Far from its reputation as a love-it-or-hate-it iconoclast, I find Encre Noire full of personality, yes, but agreeably so. It's well-mannered and soft-spoken without being boring, and it impresses without trying too hard. And yes, it's perfectly wearable during the day, to the office, in hot weather, whatever the occasion. This stuff is built to be worn, not admired like an avant-garde jewel of niche street cred. Vetiver haters need not apply, of course, but the rest of you owe it to yourselves to smell this delicious showcase for one of perfumery's pillar ingredients.
22nd August, 2018
I find myself on my kitchen floor, surrounded by the dry husks of green vegetables – celery, parsley, and other grassy, stalky plants. It slowly comes back to me. Ever since I sprayed that black fragrance bottle I have been a… a vampire… but vegetarian… Every grassy, green vegetable I could find I have sucked dry of its juice. I need their dank, leafy sustenance. I push myself up off the floor and glide to the front door. I open it, only to hiss and shield my face from the sun. I ask myself whether it’s possible to tint the windows of my house. My neighbor is mowing his grass. It has been two weeks since he last mowed, and thick damp clumps rest on his lawn. I am almost overwhelmed by the urge to put handfuls of the clippings in my mouth. I retreat inside, move my bed to the cellar, and make a quilt out of moss to wait for the next drizzly gray day before creeping to the produce section of the nearest grocery store.
17th August, 2018
Donau Show all reviews
Five seconds in: "Gah! Nothing but EtOH. Maybe a hint of something else"
A minute in: "Oh. I like where this is going"
Five minutes in: "I definitely sprayed it. I *think* I smell something"
Fifteen minutes in: "Yep. I'm nose-deaf."

Wife thinks it's OK, but not great. I'm the one stuck wearing it all day. If She's "meh" and I'm oblivious, I can't say it's worth even the $20 when I could wear something else from which I'll derive some pleasure.
08th August, 2018
Too much Iso for me. I can see the appeal though.
Sycomore is in another league altogether
14th July, 2018
I know some people think this overdoes it on the Iso-E Super but I think it is well-used here to add an intensifying woodsy feeling to what is basically a rather uncomplicated (but effective) vetiver-musk combination. It starts off all dank and dark, classic earthy vetiver, and then gets frankly urinous, almost in the way that real musk used to. This gradually blends into a dark vetiver-musk dry-down. For me, it's a perfect damp winter day scent and may well be my favourite modern take on vetiver.
17th March, 2018
Perhaps the weakest thing I've ever sprayed. Instantly becomes a very faint skin scent, straight out of the bottle.

That's a shame, as it's marvelously evocative. Whilst the juice itself says vetiver, blonde woods and the faintest hint of ragù (seriously), the shower gel SCREAMS high end nappa leather interior. It actually made me emotional as I remembered my regretfully sold E89.

Verdict: the faintest whiff of quality. Very faint.
05th March, 2018

Add your review of Encre Noire

Shop for Encre Noire products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of Encre Noire