Encre Noire (2006)

PerfumerNathalie Lorson
Parent CompanyDenz > Art & Fragrance
Parent Company at launchPochet Group

About Encre Noire

Encre Noire is a masculine fragrance by Lalique. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Nathalie Lorson

Encre Noire fragrance notes

Reviews of Encre Noire

Encre Noire is something special, especially in the designer world. It's one of the two fragrances that got me started with this passion. Everything from the name, the bottle to the actual scent ties together perfectly.

It smells like burning woods, on a fresh fall night, that you've just put out with some water as it's got a damp feel to it coming from synthetic cashmeran and musk, but the dusty embers are still hot and with some smoke emanating lightly from them. The main player in this one is an excellent dry, rooty vetiver. Cypress is prominent too: It gives a green, coniferous aspect (The "dark forest" some ones talk about) blending in very well and also brings out the qualities of the vetiver even more. Finally as its name accurately implies, this smoky, scorched but airy, dusty, green and humid raw/earthy vetiver possesses an intriguing black, inky aura around it.

It inspires me the image of a mysterious, secretive, classy but rugged and strong man. It's absolutely a niche fragrance in a designer bottle as it is high quality and polarizing. It does take a confident or very confident person to comfortably wear it. It's not for everyone and it might very well need you to give it a couple of tries. If you are a fan of fragrances like Terre d'Hermes, TF Grey Vetiver or Guerlain Vetiver for example and want to try their darker and bolder "cousin", get your nose on this one. And if you enjoy it but feels like you can't pull it off, try the “Sport” version which is similar while being easier, lemon is added and it's brighter.

Encre Noire is an artistic and fantastic fragrance that is worth its (around) 125$ retail price. So for the pocket money price you can find it online it's almost literally a steal.
11th November, 2017
Its strong , and kinda nice, but its not my cup of tea .
A pure high quality vetiver, it gets compliments .
I can see why like this though.
10th October, 2017
The fragrance in itself is very good. It is dark, earthy, smoky and then some. A refreshingly unique scent, so different from the usual masculine products.
Why the thumbs down, then? The problem is that this fragrance does not seem to last more than a couple of hours. I have even tried deliberately over-applying, almost dousing in it, but to no avail. I am totally sure that my bottle is original and fresh, so I cannot figure out what could possibly be wrong here. I tried Terre d'Hermes once and could still smell it on my skin the day after, it's a pity that I didn't like it half as much as Encre Noire.
I am really disappointed because I love this fragrance and it would be great if people around me could actually smell it.
Sillage: none. Projection: none. Longevity: maybe three hours if you pour half a bottle on yourself.
03rd October, 2017
Very nice initial blast of vetiver and ferns, with maybe a lot of iso e. The scent power is high for the first half-hour or so. Then it rapidly drops in power, turning into a skin scent that continues on for a number of hours. My overall impression is that it is a well made scent with lots of iso e. Once the vetiver and iso e fades, you need to get close to your skin to smell the light vetiver and incense scent. Still I find it a very enjoyable EDT - more than I had expected to like.

Worth buying for men who are older than 27. This is not a kids scent.
09th September, 2017
When I put this on this morning I was like wow that's good. On the drive into work I keep getting notes that really interest me. Very good smelling cologne. However it's already fading so I imagine the longevity will be poor.
And it was.
15th July, 2017
I'm clearly missing something here. I don't get it. I found this to be simply horrendous- way too sharp and bitter. Seeing all of the love here, I'm going to give it another shot, but I"m not optimistic.
07th May, 2017