In The Library (2005)

Year of Launch2005

HouseCB I Hate Perfume
PerfumerChristopher Brosius

About In The Library

In The Library is a shared / unisex perfume by CB I Hate Perfume. The scent was launched in 2005 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Brosius

Reviews of In The Library

This is the first of CB's that I've tried and been able to review (I'd tried Smokey Tobacco previously but it seems to have been discontinued) and In the Library does seem to be a pretty accurate depiction of the experience, with leather and wood comprising the lion's share of it, and some sweetness (vanilla, perhaps) to round it out and not make it too abrasive or old-smelling.

This walks the line between a skin fragrance and a room fragrance but it would probably work just fine for both. The project and longeivty of the water perfume, which is what I tried, rightfully seems to be a common concern, as it's not strong stuff in either respect, but I'm enthused to try more of CB's works. It's a little disappointing that a stronger version isn't terribly affordable (the perfume absolute is $20 for 2ml or $100 for 20ml) so it makes sense that the water perfume be the standard way of smelling CB scents.

6 out of 10
20th August, 2015
I like Christopher Brosious' approach to perfumery as something to represent reality. Most of his fragrances are more like environmental smells than actually perfumes but his ability to recreate and evoke those smells is total genius.

In the library opens with a sweetish milky accord that immediately brought to mind of almond milk or, if you want, even Orzata. A mix of vanillic notes and something along the line of heliotrope I guess…The fragrance very quickly turns into a slightly smoky / leathery woody base with the vanilla providing a moldy facet. Yeah, smells of paper and it's quite realistic too but, as I previously said, it's more of an experience than actually something to wear. Pretty fleeting. For my *library* fix, I'll stick to Dzing!.

05th February, 2015
In the Library by CB I Hate Perfume opens with a milky, musky-soapy blend stuffed with vanillin and spicy-floral hints (the floral here is on the heliotrope side, quite dusty), with something that reminds me in fact of paper, but nothing romantically “antique”, though: rather plain cellulose you can smell by opening any new book in any bookshop. The clean, industrial, slightly lactonic-sweet smell of plain polished paper. If you like that, then this works; just don’t expect the (quite more fascinating) dusty-vanillic and slightly moldy smell of aged paper. That’s it for a while, I don’t really get any leather or wood out of this (well, perhaps some wood), as it feels decidedly more milky-soapy and “white” sweet on my skin. Then, the drydown: it all slowly morphs into a stinky and quite unrelated broth half-roasted (oh hello leather!) half sweetish, which kind of smells like a cake in the oven. Made of cellulose, perhaps. Out of the library, straight into a class of particularly clumsy aspiring pastry chefs. To each his own, though: I find this pointless, but give it a try.

24th January, 2015
Genre: Paperback

In The Library starts out with a faintly sweet pulpy accord, not unlike some of the better "fig" scents, but drier and lighter. This is soon joined by a "musty" note which slowly moves into the foreground. The heart takes on a profile I recognize, but cannot immediately place. Then it comes to me: it's the inside of a brown paper grocery bag! Vivid and accurate to the point of being spooky. I honestly feel as if I'm wearing a paper bag over my head, like I did sometimes as a kid. (Don't ask.)

In The Library doesn't really develop so much as it just fades away after a couple of hours. The overall effect is fascinating, but I can't imagine why or when I'd wear it.
17th June, 2014
Missing books

This is a library - if you happen to be sitting next to a powdery sweet old woman who keeps reading over your shoulder. Like others, I want more book/paper/leather/wood smells. Sampled this while on the hunt for a graduation gift for a newly minted librarian but ugh, she would hate this, as did I.

16th October, 2013
I love the smell of libraries; not the smell of modern, suburban libraries where the oldest book to be found is twenty years old, but rather libraries with history and character filled with antiquarian books from the 19th century and before. Such libraries provide a unique, and for me quite satisfying, olfactory experience. There is a unique mustiness coupled with the smell of aging leathers that I just love. So I decided to try CB I Hate Perfumes offering, In The Library, in high hopes it would me a reasonable facsimile of the library smells I love. Alas, it was not. I get the shoe polish note, and a very sweet smell, perhaps slightly leathery, but to me it falls way short of anything I had hoped for. Libraries do not smell very sweet! I am not fond of this one at all.
01st August, 2009

Add your review of In The Library

Shop for In The Library products online

Shop for In The Library at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for In The Library

Member images of In The Library

There are no member images of In The Library yet. Why not be the first?