Voile de Violette (2007)

Based on 26 ratings

Voile de Violette Fragrance notes

Violet, Iris, Rose, Cedar, Vetiver, Violet leaf, Tonka bean, Hay, Myrrh

Voile de Violette information

Voile de Violette is a unisex fragrance by Sonoma Scent Studio. The scent was launched in 2007

Reviews of Voile de Violette

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.

ExtremeK's avatar

Voile de Violette is predominantly a violet fragrance, but, on me, the rose plays a strong supporting role, even though the list of notes indicates only a "hint" of rose -- maybe my skin brings it out.

I don't find this violet powdery in the least, despite the presence of iris. Rather, I think the vegetal/rooty aspects of iris are emphasized, and the iris, vetiver, and violet leaf combine to bring a green earthiness to Voile de Violette. It is NOT, however, mossy. It also isn't particularly sweet on me, but I tend to have a *very* high tolerance for sweet fragrances, so I may not be the best judge of how relatively sweet it is or is not.

This is Voile de Violette for me: picture a carpet of newly opened violets on wet earth in early spring after a good rain. The violet is both green and lush at the same time, and the rose gives it a jammy, almost plum-like quality in the opening. Then the violet, rose, and cedar share center stage for most of the wearing, at least on me. I have yet to locate the myrrh -- I hope I do find it because I love myrrh.

Like nearly all of Laurie's fragrances, Voile de Violette has *amazing* longevity. I wore it the other day and could still smell it in my hair in the shower after more than 24 hours.

23 February, 2013

Quarry's avatar

Reminds me of a bitter Rosine Rose d'Homme with violet added. I expect it would smell better on a person with sweet skin than it does on me. I tend to make fragrances smell sour.

22 January, 2013

sherapop's avatar

Sonoma Scent Studio VOILE DE VIOLETTE is a rich and earthy violet perfume which makes me feel as though I were walking through a slightly damp forest on spongy ground surrounded by tall trees. The path on which I step is strewn with the usual green leaves and pine needles, along with beautiful purple violet petals which don't really belong here and so must have been left by some nocturnal elves. VOILE DE VIOLETTE has a forest facet that I have not encountered before in a violet-focused composition. The sweetness is offset by the slightly dirty, dark greenish, woody quality. I am impressed by the longevity and the sillage is big enough to notice without overpowering. I'd love to have a bottle of this!

10th July, 2011

TwoWordReviews's avatar

Floral. Deep.

This may be the best floral I've tried on me. In contrast to the sharpness another reviewer has experienced, I get the lushness of a whole field of flowers. Great depth and balance, very smooth on the skin, it's quite an enchanting scent. I just feel fresher, better with it on.

14 April, 2011 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2011)

BayKAT's avatar

I'm discovering that there are many ways to handle the violet note. In this composition it is very woody, earthy and deep (brings to mind my visits to European castles where I saw rooms lined with walnut overlay instead of tapestries)

While I"m not the biggest fan of this earth heavy note, I"m also not opposed to it, and when the powdery iris and green hay appear I find it quite comforting. However, there is something here that just doesn't work for me, a sweet note, possibly the tonka bean or myrrh. It's the olfactory equivalent of stepping into one of those walnut overlaid rooms, running your eyes over the velvet covered furniture, ornate dressing tables, majestic paintings, and then a lava lamp in the corner.

'What's this?' you'd say. It would be out of place, not right. When everything else is conservative, deep and rich, this flamboyant flair is not necessary. It would ruin your experience, and you' would move on to a different room.

24 February, 2010

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Many of the violet-inspired scents on my previous encounters have been bright and powdery. But not this one; the violet here seems lush and a little green, thanks in no small part to notes of fresh roses. But there is also a darker element lurking beneath this floral surface, one of dry roots and moist earth. It makes the composition somewhat “noir” and I find this aspect rather appealing.

Notes: violet, iris, rose, violet leaf, cedar, vetiver, tonka bean, hay, myrrh.

16 January, 2010