Courvoisier L'Edition Impériale (2006)
    by Courvoisier

Courvoisier L'Edition Impériale Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Courvoisier L'Edition Impériale

Showing 1 to 6 of 11 reviews.

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Boozy

Nice opening. slightly fruity/spicy..

Then the cedar amber combo takes over with a strong background of Cognac..

Longevity and sillage are above average..

the price has also dramatically dropped..

a great alternative to Pure Malt and Frapin

Pros: lasts awhile- original
    Cons: Pure Malt is better"

10th October, 2013

Marais's avatar
    Marais

{Review of EdP} Essentially i agree with Swanky's review below. A complex, warm boozy amber with a hefty dollop of fir balsam to offset the sweetness. It smells more expensive than it is. The 'cognac' note lasts remarkably well. Overall longevity of the EdP is good, although it does wear close to the skin. Great for autumn and winter. Nice chunky bottle. Comparable to DS2's Potion and Lutens' 5 O'Clock au Gingembre.

04 October, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2012)

Swanky's avatar
    Swanky

I guess I'm one of the few rubes with a dissenting opinion on L'Edition. I think it's a good fragrance. For the niche presentation, one might expect a great one and I agree that it is overpriced at the retail $110 (but if we are honest most fragrances probably are overpriced). I got my bottle for a significant discount so I've mitigated that problem.

As for the fragrance itself, it's a classically built gentlemen's club aroma. The peaty and spicy opening suggests brandy and cigars. The subsequent wood and leather notes pay homage to the leather seating and bookcases of a study/sitting room. Those who enjoy Havana and similarly complex old-school fragrances may be intrigued by Courvoisier's rendition.

So often these days a very sweet amber is introduced at the drydown and undoes any goodwill that may have been engendered. Mercifully, Courvoisier sidesteps this error by adding vetiver and fir balsam. The fir especially lasts to the end so the perfume never becomes sugary and cloying. The Eau de Parfum designation may promise a powerhouse and sillage monster but as most observers have noted, L'Edition Imperiale is restrained. I do get substantial longevity with this one but the low boil simmer may fool one into thinking it has disappeared. I keep getting whiffs of it throughout the day.

Now that the smoke has cleared, perhaps this maligned perfume might get another look from the fragrancehunters.

25 June, 2012

Ascensia's avatar
    Ascensia

After reading the harsh reviews of Courvoisier, just had to go see the train wreck. Got a sample and cautiously put it on. The top notes are oddly floral with an underpinning of, yes, cat urine. Forced myself to continue wearing it before scrubbing it off. Perhaps it was responding to my female body chemistry, but it then began to layer into a complex, rather confusing, but not unpleasant scent with a smoky base and tart but not citrus-y veil. I'm a newbie, so please be patient, but in the drydown the stuff just started to smell like brandy! It was as if I had spilled a glass of brandy on myself.

After the unfortunate initial cat phase, which passed within 15 minutes, it just seemed to toss in a melange of odd floral, citrus, smoky, and also woody notes. It will definitely get you noticed, if just for the sheer confusion it engenders.

27 January, 2010

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

i have fallen out of this one...smells like biscuits to me..pretty cloying for our kind of weather too. i'd pass on this one...

13 August, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2009)

fudull's avatar
    fudull
    Albania Albania

I don't understand the animosity towards this one. If I had a guess, I'd say it has to do with the expectations and the price tag being equally high. I managed to find the EDP for half the price, and to be honest I think this is not that bad at all. For some reason, I thought this would have more of a brandy feel to it, yet so far Escada PH and lately Mugler's Pure Malt remain the few good examples of classy yet boozy fragrances.

Courvoisier starts off with the mandarin and coriander and some other slightly off-putting spices that create a warm aroma, which projects nicely but never lives up to the openings of other niche fragrances in the same price range. The biggest problems are in the mid notes. I agree with the others here, it is a jumble of notes that create a cacophony of complex yet not enjoyable smells. This confused combination of grassy florals lingers on until the nice amber and leather show up at the end. If you haven't lost interest by the midnotes, you will find a rich base that lasts for a few more hours, but sticks close to the skin. Overall, for an EDP, I expected better sillage and longevity, thus the neutral rating.

02 July, 2009