Steam Aoud

Steam Aoud information

HouseMontale
PerfumerPierre Montale

About Steam Aoud

Steam Aoud is a shared / unisex perfume by Montale. The fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Montale

Reviews of Steam Aoud

Genre: Woods

OK, I don't get this. Of the half-dozen Montale Aouds I tried this one is the most puzzling. Black Aoud, Royal Aoud, and Attar are a set of rose-oudh cousins, each with it's own distinct personality. Aoud Ambre is candied oudh, and will probably appeal to those with a big, long sweet tooth. Aoud Lime gambles on discord and loses. But Steam Aoud?

Steam Aoud goes on as simple oudh. I don't detect much of anything else. The oudh note is far less powerful than in the rest of the Aoud line I've sampled, which makes its isolation that much more puzzling.

After an hour or two, there still isn't all that much going on. Maybe a touch of rose, and a whiff of sandalwood, and neither particularly deep or rich. Steam, they say? My impression is of something very dry indeed - desiccated even, and a bit hollow.

Over the next several hours the mild mannered rose-sandalwood sweetens a bit, then begins to integrate tightly with the remaining oudh note, but nothing terribly exciting results. The drydown is more pleasant and balanced than the opening but the overall effect remains anemic.

Wimpy - that's the word that comes to mind as I wear Steam Aoud. I can see objecting to some of the Montale Aouds because of their bluntness and their overwhelming power, but at least they give the nose something to react to, for better or worse. Steam Aoud leaves me saying "So what?"
03rd July, 2014
As well as already elsewhere stressed this is an heavy aoud fragrance where several further notes as rose and sandalwood hardly manage to interact with the main resinous woody note. The powerful presence of aoud as combined with obscure indonesian herbs and further elements with a scarce presence of sweetness unfolds a sort of steamy aroma that lingers around in loneliness for hours with its shadowy edge till when an hint of rare mildness starts rising from roses/sandalwood brew. The herbs (hoggar Mota) procure a certain level of dryness although the final addition of amber exudes a touch of soapy mellifluence. I don't catch in the air the asserted dose of dissonance possibly procured by caraway. Steam Aoud leans over the masculine side in my opinion. Longevity and sillage are in line with the Montale's standards.
27th May, 2011 (last edited: 13th July, 2014)

All I get is aoud – Montale aoud... no rose, no amber, no caraway… Nada. So I guess it comes down to whether or not I consider a straight aoud note to be good enough to satisfy my definition of a worthy niche fragrance. It doesn’t. All I can catch from this fragrance, is a straight-forward aoud note… nothing exciting...

Steam Aoud has a definite sillage, and it lasts a long, long, long time. As Montale aoud notes go, it’s a typical enough but certainly not at all compelling.

01st February, 2010 (last edited: 02nd February, 2010)
I like this one, though I don't really care for most of the Montale line. It starts off with the smell that you know from freshly dried clothing out of your dryer. A bit of powdery detergent, and fabric softner.

I like the drydown though: it reminds me of something between Timbuktu and Dzongkha. A slightly spicy woody dry white musk.
28th January, 2010
I try to enjoy this one but I keep envisioning a hot, humid basement boiler room infested with waterbugs. ICK!
05th December, 2009
I'm sitting here with a new set of Montale samples, almost all have Aoud or Oud in the name (save for Attar) and Steam Aoud is the first one I'm trying. My previous experiences with Montale were very overpowering, too sweet, too aggressive - even for me. All in all, I've been disappointed with everything except Blue Amber, which still suffered from simply being *too* powerful. (It is so strong I can still smell it vividly the following day after a shower.) But, I'm pleased to say I absolutely love Steam Aoud. The transition is lovely and the resulting sweetness is gentle, smooth and very relaxing. If there are claims of amber in this then I can't find it. This is surprisingly fresh and quite lovely.
24th October, 2009

Add your review of Steam Aoud

Shop for Steam Aoud products online

Shop for Steam Aoud at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Steam Aoud

Member images of Steam Aoud

There are no member images of Steam Aoud yet. Why not be the first?