Mystra (2006)

Based on 22 ratings

Mystra information

Mystra is a unisex fragrance by Aesop. The scent was launched in 2006

Reviews of Mystra

Showing 1 to 6 of 7 reviews.
    positive 3 Positive Reviewsneutral6 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

Marais's avatar

An odd one. Dense and dry; resinous pine with herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, no parsley), spices and a touch of incense. It conjures the smell of dark and dusty old Mediterranean churches; or 'Italian Cypress' minus the sunnier elements. There is a slightly sticky quality on my skin. I didn't really enjoy it but it might make a 'nice and gloomy' scent for Goths tired of their funereal rose fragrances, or a pine-enthusiast looking for something different. I found sillage and longevity average (review of EdT).

01st September, 2012

Nile_Etland's avatar

I bought this fragrance in Australia and the impression it gives of hot, wide spaces and aromatic herbs & spices fits in well with the country of its origin - even though the spices etc. aren't actually Australian at all.

I think LT said of the Armani Bois d'Encens (which I also have) that he finds incense to be a sort of moving target; I know what he means and agree with him. Mystra is definitely one of those and is rather like walking through the perfume or spice souk - different scents waft up as you walk past, never quite the same but always interesting. The longevity is certainly not as long as one would like but it does come in a natty rollerball bottle, perfect for pockets or handbags, so you can top-up as often as you want - just don't do it in the middle of a crowd as the top note is pretty powerful.

This is good, but (like any fragrance) may not necessarily ring your bell. I'm quite enjoying it but it hasn't gripped me the way that Bois d'Encens has, after a long time thinking whether I could afford that one I succumbed and now could not bear to be without it. This is a great fragrance in its own way, I accept that other people might want to re-write this review and transpose the names, but Mystra is not cheap and I personally will be spending my money in future on the Armani, when I can afford it.

24 August, 2010

jbjindra's avatar

I was blown away the first time I smelled a sample!
    I remember riding on the back of my Dad's motorcycle in midsummer on hot balmy nights and taking the winding country roads to get places. In the still night air there was a new treat for the nose with each inhalation. Sometimes the road would dip down into the valley where the air cooled significantly. It was in those valleys where the cool shaded air of the hot day spilled out from the creek bed and over the road, giving a brief bone chilling sensation, and an essence identical to that captured by Mystra.
    Wicked stuff. 5/5 stars

09 February, 2010

Lessa's avatar

Really wanted to like this, as I enjoy most resins and of course, green notes. First impression was that was A+ number one stonking bong water. Incredibly well-done, with perfect materials, but bong water nevertheless. Don't think I'll be wearing this one to the office! The drydown was much more mellow and incense-like, but it's kind of hard to get over that top note, at least for me.

The materials are of such quality, though, that I think I'll give this some time and give it another try at a later date. Sometimes a second look is more revealing.

19 May, 2009

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Lovely and exotic for the 15 minutes it lasts on my skin. WIth such a high price tag, I want more life from this Byzantine concoction.

12 April, 2009

Mystra is an interesting scent because it seems so old and so modern at the same time. The website describes it as “Byzantium” inspired and it certainly is that, but because fragrance served such different purposes then (there’s little need now to cover over the stench of the masses) and now, the presentation is entirely today. Mystra presents these strong elements in a beautifully discreet package: The soft incense and resin… the bit of green and touch of floral… the gentle spices… the rich but vaporous woods… all combine to create such a captivating, sophisticated fragrance. Sillage is quite mild and longevity is poor, but it is so rare and enchanting.

21st November, 2008