31 rue Cambon Eau de Toilette (2007)
by Chanel

31 rue Cambon Eau de Toilette information

Year of Launch2007
AvailabilityDiscontinued

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About 31 rue Cambon Eau de Toilette

One of six fragrances which launched Chanel's "Les Exclusifs" range, and created by Chanel master perfumer Jaques Polge.

31 rue Cambon is a chypre fragrance and is named after the address of Chanel's Parisian couture workshop

31 rue Cambon Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of 31 rue Cambon Eau de Toilette

I have sampled 31 Rue Cambon several times now, but I can never discover the delight that others seem to find here. I am one of the most rabid fans of Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles; they are simply two of the most beautiful things I've ever smelled, but, sadly, 31 Rue leaves me cold. I'm not sure if it is the strange/odd (almost cold) use of patchouli that I object to, or the overdose of indolic iris, but either way, I find this Chanel scent almost disturbing, and awkwardly sweet. I know that Luca loves scents that achieve pure "abstraction," but I tend to want to recognize at least some facet of what I am smelling, or to be able to connect a part of a fragrance with something with which I am familiar. Here, however, the combination of notes results in a scent that I would be forced to call merely "perfume-y." And, yes, I know that labelling a scent thusly is the first impulse of the novice-nosed.
11th February, 2019
This one is great, especially the opening and early stages, for my tastes. I think the accord I like is bergamot with slightly powdery florals, and it smells wonderfully, distinctly Chanel-esque. I get a similar blast of goodness from the opening of Chanel 1932 edt.

As this develops, it feels more feminine than unisex, to me, in a way that makes it something I don't feel comfortable wearing out and about, but I love sampling it once in a while for the beautiful opening.
22nd October, 2018
Slightly juicy, spicy beginning. Warm woody floral. Smells powdery at the end, on my skin. An enjoyable Chanel. Wish it lasted longer.

What the hell is it, with Chanel? The more I wear their creations, the ones I'm not familiar with, the more I fall in love with them. Paradox perfumery...
21st January, 2018 (last edited: 24th March, 2018)
This one is special, and it has taken me quite some time to put my thoughts on it into words.

I first encountered this as a sample I received with the purchase of a bottle of Cuir de Russie, which I fell madly in love with. On first smell, 31 Rue Cambon didn't wow me. I seem to remember finding it pleasant, but a tad "generic perfumey". I kept going back to the sample though, and that one sample led to a 10 ml decant, a 50 ml decant, all the way to a 200 ml bottle.

I would describe it as a very plush, iris-patchouli; soft in texture, but quite assertive in presence. Due to the luxurious Chanel treatment these main ingredients seem grounded, rather than earthy. It certainly registers as a chypre to me, but a warm one, if that makes sense, probably due to the vanilla. It also has a very classical vibe.

This is a scent that speaks to me on an emotional level. It has a warm, personal intimacy that I find hard to describe. The best way I know how is to liken it to holding a t shirt that has just been taken off by the man I love; the warmth and scent of his skin still clinging to the soft fabric.

It has been slowly creeping up the ranks of my most beloved scents ever. It is also the only scent that I have experienced an irrational fear of running out of, which is why I have snatched up a 200 ml EdT bottle before even smelling the EdP reformulation.

18th November, 2017
Stardate 20170727:

A nice jasmine-iris floral. Jasmine generally overpowers any floral fragrance but here the balance with iris is struck well.
Old school floral style minus the aldehydes.

27th July, 2017

First sniff told me it’s a Chanel… second sniff said “chypre.” After that it comes across to me as animalic and it doesn’t seem to be the leather that’s responsible for that… The leather is smooth, rich, and satisfying. Perhaps 31 Rue Cambon has a very indolic iris. The iris note is quite strong and it’s the type of iris note that I enjoy very much but often find it unwearable. I having some questions about the references to 31Rue Cambon’s lightness and softness… seems borderline aggressive to me, but in a very good way. Actually, I see 31 Rue Cambon as a top-quality leather scent. It’s a winner and I don’t say that about a leather fragrance very often.
22nd August, 2016

LES EXCLUSIFS DE CHANEL 31 RUE CAMBON EDP 200ml

End Date: Friday Dec-20-2019 19:53:43 PST
Buy It Now for only: $529.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

CHANEL Les exclusifs 31 RUE CAMBON 200 ml / 6.8 oz Eau de Toilette (70% full)

End Date: Wednesday Jan-1-2020 10:29:16 PST