Coromandel (2007)
    by Chanel

Average Rating: 4.5

Based on 354 ratings

Coromandel information

One of six new fragrances for Chanel's "Les Exclusifs" range created by Chanel master perfumer 258.

Coromandel is an oriental fragrance.

Reviews of Coromandel

Showing 1 to 6 of 63 reviews.

Infini's avatar

Wales Wales

I'm sorry, but this is the most awful perfume I have ever tried! Unbelievably sweet and sickly, this chocolate patchouli toffee biscuity creation nearly made me physically sick. I've realised I'm not a fan of Jacques Polge perfumes in general, (Chanel No18 being an exception) but Coromandel (along with Bel Respiro) is the the worst so far. It obviously has a lot of fans, but I can honestly say I have never smelled anything so sweet and nasty.

27 July, 2014

ClaireV's avatar

Ireland Ireland

For me, this is at least as much about frankincense as it is about patchouli. I happen to love both patchouli and frankincense, so this just about fires up all of my pleasure synapses. The patchouli dominates (but never EVER strays into hippy territory - this is Chanel, after all), and the incense adds a lovely smokiness. They rise up off my skin in thick whorls of scent, alternating between earthy patchouli and celestial incense, and the whole thing comes off as bookish, serious, and spiritual.

The opening is rather harsh and bitter, perhaps owing to the bitter oranges, and for a while I feel like I am wearing a tweed overcoat kindly offered to me by a man, with whiffs of some male muskiness and sharp cologne still lingering on the scratchy wool. That's good - I actually like the sensation of putting on something recently worn by a man - it smells both familiar and strange. The scent softens and sweetens progressively throughout, shedding the most butch elements of the start, but still retaining the air of maleness that I like so much.

The green-brown earthiness of the patch, fierce at first, slowly starts to sink into a giant pillow of orris, vanilla, and woods, creating that sweet, creamy feel that Coromandel is justly famous for. White chocolate you say? Well, yes, I can smell it, or maybe it is the power of suggestion. I am highly suggestible. Patchouli generally feels chocolatey to my nose anyway. The overall feel, before the dry down that is, is one of rich, golden brown patchouli and gently smoking frankincense tears all whipped up into a cloud of sweet musks, vanilla and orris. It manages, by some trick I can't figure out, to be both powdery and buttery all at once.

It's downright gorgeous: a rich-but-restrained, earthy, sexy, bosomy oriental that whispers (never shrieks) both comfort and high-end luxury. I would say it is a cashmere sweater type of scent except that I am not a cashmere sweater type of girl (I don't have the patience for all that hand washing), so let's just say instead that it is the perfume equivalent of drinking a bath tub sized mug of hot chocolate, spiked with Irish whiskey, on a cold, blustery day.

The dry down is a woodsy, ambery affair that I've experienced elsewhere, including in (of all places!) that classic drugstore cheapy chypre La Perla! It's still lovely, although slightly less exciting than the top and heart notes. I love Coromandel and hope to always have a bit of it in my collection, because it's wonderful and also because it makes me like I am wearing that man's tweed overcoat.

11th June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

Coromandel is the patchouli entry in Chanel’s Les Exclusifs line, and was apparently composed by the new house perfumer Christopher Sheldrake. Sheldrake’s fingerprints are all over this scent, and I agree on the oft-observed resemblance to his previous Borneo 1834 for Serge Lutens. The two scents are very similar in their late stages, sharing as they do a fuzzy, if slightly generic, synthetic woody amber drydown. In neither case is this accord as crass or heavy as in say, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin or Guerlain Homme, but I would have liked something more original by way of basenotes, especially the second time around.

Before it dries down Coromandel is a sweeter, spicier, and hence more approachable scent than Borneo 1843, the dusty patchouli-cocoa accord being softened by a creamy iris note. Between the extra sweetness, the texture of the iris, and the gentle spices, Coromandel borders closely on the gourmand, though it never quite ventures as far as “edible.” I attribute the inedible quality to a sharp, tangy edge on the patchouli. This piquancy is very noticeable up top, but persists well into the heart of the scent. If it lingered even longer it would make a wonderful counterweight to the somewhat flat woody amber in the drydown. Coromandel’s sillage and projection are contained as patchouli rich fragrances go, but it’s by no means a weak or stingy scent. While I’m not in love with it’s drydown, I imagine many others will be happier with it, and since the rest of the fragrance is rich and beautifully composed I have to rate Coromandel an overall success.

11th June, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

Dark green earth patchouli and nothing else - hateful juice!

15 April, 2014

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Judging by the notes of and Noses behind this scent I expected to love it, but boy was I wrong! The opening blast of Coromandel felt almost painful, not only to nostrils but also palate, and the sweetish run-of-the-mill drydown wasn't much better. The overall impression was stagnant and "too cheap for a Chanel" (especially as it is not just a plain Chanel but an "exclusif"). I like my patchouli dirty and earthy, not sanitized like this.

07 March, 2014

Kain's avatar

Iran Iran

While my first experience with Chanel exclusive line (Bois des Iles) was a completely disappointment, this one got my attention and I must admit it's a great fragrance!
    The opening is a warm, sweet,spicy and slightly smoky scent.
    The benzoin note create a warm, sweet and slightly resinous scent that is mixed with some incense note.
    The incense note is not that strong, but strong enough to give it a very light smoky aroma.
    There is also a spicy scent, something like cinnamon that beside those sweet and warm notes, create a strong and very sensual oriental scent.
    As time goes by, in the mid the magic happens!
    The spicy cinnamon like and incense notes settle down and white chocolate kick in.
    The white chocolate note mixed with benzoin and vanilla, create a sweet, yummy and extremely sensual scent. when you're hungry don't use this fragrance because you may eat your wrists!!!!
    The sweetness is more creamy and slightly sugary and it's really well balanced. it's not in your face and cloying at all.
    In the base, it's time for patchouli note to shine!
    In the base you can still smell that sweet white chocolate scent and now the patchouli note comes in and give it much more depth.
    The patchouli note give the scent slightly sharp, earthy and wet feeling and this combination remind me of "Thierry Mugler Angel" in many ways but much smoother.
    A great complex and sensual fragrance with very good projection and great longevity.
    Well done!

COROMANDEL EAU DE TOILETTE - Chanel
    • Listing Type: eBay Store
    • Time Left: 22 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    LES EXCLUSIFS DE CHANEL COROMANDEL EAU DE TOILETTE 2.5 FL.OZ / 75 ML BNIB SEALED
    • Time Left: