Coromandel Eau de Toilette (2007)
by Chanel

Coromandel Eau de Toilette information

Year of Launch2007

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Coromandel Eau de Toilette

One of six new fragrances for Chanel's "Les Exclusifs" range created by Chanel master perfumer Jacques Polge.

Coromandel is an oriental fragrance.

Coromandel Eau de Toilette fragrance notes

Reviews of Coromandel Eau de Toilette

Stardate 20170808:

Amber Vanilla with woods.
I don't get much Jasmine.
In the middle phase dry woods dominate supported by soft amber.
It starts with a promise but ends as generic benzoin vanilla.

08th August, 2017 (last edited: 14th September, 2017)
WoW...that's all I can say when I wear this perfume...and that seems to be what others around me say, as well. On one of the first days I wore this perfume, I had about 12 strangers or acquaintances come up to me and say "what are you wearing...you smell incredible!"

I was turned on to Coromandel when someone told me it might be a more affordable alternative to "Portrait of a Lady" or "Musc Ravageur" both by Frederic Malle. Does it smell similar to either...yes! Is it an affordable alternative to either...sadly, no!

It's the jasmine that captures my nose (I adore Creed's Jasmin Imperatrice Eugenie) but this is "thick" or heavy jasmine, which at times smells almost like rose. I'm sure the introduction of patchouli is what makes this stuff smell so "heady" to me...not hippy dirty like heady...heady in a good way! The overall blend and balance between all the glorious notes is what makes this fragrance work so well, IMHO. And (fortunately) on my skin, I do not detect many gourmand notes (chocolate?) at all...don't even wish to think about it...the chocolate that is...a bit of vanilla in the dry-down is there for sure!

To me, at no time does one singular note seem to over-take or overwhelm the fragrance (okay...perhaps the patchouli does try from time-to-time). However overall, this fragrance is a wonderful balance of all the main notes, beginning to end.

And YES...this stuff is costly but longevity is great, silage is (obviously) superior and the overall experience is lovely.

I love this fragrance and I've taken to wearing it 3-4 days a week.
03rd July, 2017
The vintage feel. A "dirty jasmine" along with musk in the opening. I get citrus notes as well, and much powder of course. Great work, obviously.
14th April, 2017
I do like this but I dont get any patchouli in the EDP. Not a trace. And the famed "white chocolate" is surely a reference to a powdery accord of musk, orris root, heliotrope and other powdery nuances. There is some orange/tangerine in the opening. Elegant, feminine, classic, long-lasting. Would be incredible on my wife.
14th March, 2017
So strange, so different from what I've smelled up till now, and so wonderful!

I tried a spray at the department store, and while my family did not like it because it is strong, I love it.

To my nose, a lot of camphor, some incense, vanilla, woods and some anise, curiously, which is not on the note list. Very volatile, simultaneously sweet spicy and bitter woody.

Subjectively, a very comforting smell. There's something nicely old and embracing in it, for me.

Though it does not smell of tea in any way, it makes me think of an old house with wallpapered walls and old furniture (it does smell of old richer furniture, in a way) and an old, moderately rich and very polite lady which serves you tea with milk and pays attention to you in a cold winter day.

It is not cheap, but I would really like to have it, though it would be just for my pleasure.

-----
New review on a very hot Summer day:

I did the unthinkable and tested a warm, deep fragrance on a very hot summer day... At noon.

It still smells amazing, but different. Now much more amber and wood, almost honey, and powdery.

I do love this one... If it were cheaper I would already have it.
08th November, 2016
Starts off more feminine but during drydown, the amber notes remind me of my Perry Ellis M, which is a men's fragrance that also resembles Chanel Allure. Projection and longevity are excellent.
15th August, 2016