Coromandel (2007)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Coromandel

One of six new fragrances for Chanel's "Les Exclusifs" range created by Chanel master perfumer Jacques Polge.

Coromandel is an oriental fragrance.

Coromandel fragrance notes

Reviews of Coromandel

The vintage feel. A "dirty jasmine" along with musk in the opening. I get citrus notes as well, and much powder of course. Great work, obviously.
14th April, 2017
I do like this but I dont get any patchouli in the EDP. Not a trace. And the famed "white chocolate" is surely a reference to a powdery accord of musk, orris root, heliotrope and other powdery nuances. There is some orange/tangerine in the opening. Elegant, feminine, classic, long-lasting. Would be incredible on my wife.
14th March, 2017
So strange, so different from what I've smelled up till now, and so wonderful!

I tried a spray at the department store, and while my family did not like it because it is strong, I love it.

To my nose, a lot of camphor, some incense, vanilla, woods and some anise, curiously, which is not on the note list. Very volatile, simultaneously sweet spicy and bitter woody.

Subjectively, a very comforting smell. There's something nicely old and embracing in it, for me.

Though it does not smell of tea in any way, it makes me think of an old house with wallpapered walls and old furniture (it does smell of old richer furniture, in a way) and an old, moderately rich and very polite lady which serves you tea with milk and pays attention to you in a cold winter day.

It is not cheap, but I would really like to have it, though it would be just for my pleasure.

-----
New review on a very hot Summer day:

I did the unthinkable and tested a warm, deep fragrance on a very hot summer day... At noon.

It still smells amazing, but different. Now much more amber and wood, almost honey, and powdery.

I do love this one... If it were cheaper I would already have it.
08th November, 2016
Starts off more feminine but during drydown, the amber notes remind me of my Perry Ellis M, which is a men's fragrance that also resembles Chanel Allure. Projection and longevity are excellent.
15th August, 2016
I am a great champion of delicate perfumes because I think they're misunderstood. Nonetheless, sometimes you want a beast, and when you do, there's no point in messing around. I don't know why people say Coromandel smells like Chanel. If this has "Chanel DNA," I'm Naomi Cambpell (well, I wish . . .). This is an ultra-neo-semi-gourmand-powerhouse. It's a beast. But who cares? Coromandel rocks the house like a Led Zepplin track--"Kashmir" to be precise, with its "trippy" drum effects and eastern affectations--and, like Kashmir, is basically the same thing over and over, but the hook is so great, it doesn't matter.

Actually, that's not entirely true. Coromandel unfolds in stages, modulations on the same theme of jasmine, patchouli, a highly modified amber, benzoin and frankincense. The opening gathers the notes under a burst of jasmine, and then an extremely full-throated patchouli unrolls underneath all the other elements like a carpet. This patchouli holds the stage for about an hour, then slowly recedes to leave an amber that is almost entirely shorn of its animalic qualities, intensely sweetened and then pulverized to bits. Lashed with vanilla and benzoin, kissed with the citrus of frankincense, clinging to what I suspect is a bit of white musk, what would have been a dusty amber is now a slow unfolding of stages of white chocolate powder with gradually fading bits of patchouli still clinging to it. Jasmine weaves in and out through these in a lazy striptease.

This tension between pale chocolate and almost (but not quite) nasty patchouli is fabulous, an analogue Angel. It works on my skin even at very low volume; I can do a tiny 1/2 spray in warm weather and let it bloom. But, honestly, that's no fun. Cool weather suits it best. To paraphrase the French writer Colette, if I can't wear a lot of Coromandel, I don't wear Coromandel; I recommend the same (Colette was talking about eating truffles, but you get the idea). Spray with abandon, but look out. This one goes to 11.
29th June, 2016 (last edited: 09th July, 2016)
Honestly, Coromandel and I just don't get along. On its best days, it's an old fashioned amber with a hint of that weird Knize Ten gasoline note, along with some mossy greens that fuse with the gasoline to smell kind of sour and sickly in the background of the pretty amber. On its worst days, it's just an explosion of dirty tonka mixed with gasoline, with a hint of bile in the background.

Frankly, after years of trying, I've given up trying to love Coromandel. I understand in theory that this is a great perfume, but I just don't like the way it smells on me. Don't get me wrong, it's always pleasant, but with gross undertones, like a room that's been cleaned and scented, but in which someone has been sick. And with so many fantastic ambers and mossy "oriental" scents out there that I like better, I guess this just means there's more Coromandel for everyone else...
13th May, 2016