Coromandel (2007)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Coromandel

One of six new fragrances for Chanel's "Les Exclusifs" range created by Chanel master perfumer Jacques Polge.

Coromandel is an oriental fragrance.

Coromandel fragrance notes

Reviews of Coromandel

Honestly, Coromandel and I just don't get along. On its best days, it's an old fashioned amber with a hint of that weird Knize Ten gasoline note, along with some mossy greens that fuse with the gasoline to smell kind of sour and sickly in the background of the pretty amber. On its worst days, it's just an explosion of dirty tonka mixed with gasoline, with a hint of bile in the background.

Frankly, after years of trying, I've given up trying to love Coromandel. I understand in theory that this is a great perfume, but I just don't like the way it smells on me. Don't get me wrong, it's always pleasant, but with gross undertones, like a room that's been cleaned and scented, but in which someone has been sick. And with so many fantastic ambers and mossy "oriental" scents out there that I like better, I guess this just means there's more Coromandel for everyone else...
13th May, 2016
Hell's bells and little fishes....what a magnificent scent is this little (could only afford the 75ml) gem. I only wish that I had more thumbs that I could point upwards to recommend this. Wearing this is like bathing in a luxurious mist of lacquered gold, frankincense, patchouli and amber. When I wear this, I have a definite sense of an olfactory halo illuminating the way, establishing my 'Chanel' aura. This is what number 5 should have been. Don't tell me that this is a feminine scent - halos work well on men too!
24th March, 2016
With the exception of Cuir de Russie, longevity of the Chanel Les Exclusifs line is disappointing for me - my skin seems to gobble it up. But WOW, is Coromandel the exception! I had decided not to purchase it, in view of this performance issue, but it was still on my wishlist and my dear husband bought me a bottle for my birthday. I am thrilled! As others have noted in reviews and posts, Coromandel doesn't even wash off in the shower - it goes on and on and on, developing its patchouli-and-incense, vanillic richness, curling around one like a column of smoke. I do get the gourmand white chocolate note that others have noted, but the overall balance of notes in this beauty prevents it from being cloying. Coromandel is voluptuous, commanding, fully realized and simply stunning.
03rd March, 2016
Although I occasionally wore "colognes" in the past, it is only recently that I really became interested in fragrances. This was one of the first I tried. More experienced fragheads and perfumistas have described the scent far better than I could, but I will say this: for the first time in my life, I was so overcome by the sheer, sublime beauty of a "mere" smell that my eyes literally welled up with tears. It probably sounds crazy, but I can honestly say that it was one of the most emotionally moving experiences I've had in a long time. And it made me want to invest a lot more time and effort investigating this world of olfactory art. Too bad that, on me, Coromandel is a bit too feminine (at least until the dry-down), but I love it on my wife.

P.S., I think the name "Coromandel" itself simply sounds beautifully mellifluous, a perfect match for the fragrance.
26th February, 2016 (last edited: 02nd March, 2016)
This big 200ml Coromandel bottle stands, no towers beside my 30ml draw of Dior Ambre Nuit. My girl likes to wear both interchangable, as do I. My view says the Dior is leaning Masculine and the Coromandel Feminine. Both are Unisex, are equally luxurious,plush and will be classics.
Astaire's body dances, partner to the music.
Streisand's voice dances, partner to the music.
04th February, 2016 (last edited: 22nd March, 2016)
An impressive and luxurious sweet oriental, Coromandel is another major accomplishment in Chanel’s outstanding Les Exclusifs series. The outcome of patchouli, white chocolate, vanilla, and balsamic resins elegantly arranged on a highly complex floral background with a bit of smoke and woods, Coromandel is warm, opulent, and very fulfilling.
While it is undeniably a wonderful and captivating fragrance, it is also an example of pure exoticism and confused references: the sheer complexity and sensuousness accentuate a stereotypical fantasy of far-away fragrant places. For one thing, it escapes me what patchouli and white chocolate have so intimately to do with the colonial name for the South-Eastern coast of India (something centering on sandalwood or vetiver instead might perhaps have been less idiosyncratic). The Chanel ad copy does very little to clear the confusion, mysteriously expounding the fragrance to be in fact a “homage to the exquisite Chinese lacquer screens” that used to make Coco Chanel “almost faint with happiness.” China? Patchouli and chocolate?!
So a Chinese-inspired India-named perfume masterfully combining warm and spicy ingredients from across the (postcolonial) world manages, quite illustratively, to reproduce and sublimate classic European notions of an exotic hedonistic Orient, all “spirited,” “voluptuous,” indeed prone to elicit joyful fits of unconsciousness, but with no clear geographical fixity, let alone sense and reason. Coromandel is somewhere else, out there, far away, in certain voluptuous parts existing mainly in romantic corners of the European mind. Coromandel is an eminent example of quirky-confused European chinoiserie, anno 2007 - and a wonderful fragrance.
26th December, 2015 (last edited: 27th December, 2015)

Add your review of Coromandel