Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient (2006)
    by Yves Saint Laurent

• Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 61 ratings

Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient information

Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient is a men's fragrance by Yves Saint Laurent. The scent was launched in 2006

Reviews of Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient

Showing 1 to 6 of 13 reviews.
    positive 10 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

SirSlarty's avatar

Opium watered down to put it mildly. I'm sure it was well intended for YSL to market this for the Asian market or to bank on the idea of the Oriental in Europe's minds. The king spicy Opium is kicked down a few hundred notches and cleaned up a bit. Ambery sandalwood and ginger. Pleasant scent but the sandalwood isn't all that great and feels a little dull. Like the sharp top notes of anise and grapefruit, though.

09th October, 2009

Chasing the Dragon's avatar

Opium, jr.

Basically a lighter, somewhat more citrus-y version of the original. Like an "Opium Summer", or something. (Not that that's a bad thing, by any means).

Nevertheless this is so close to the original that I have to wonder why YSL even bothered.

It is a very nice scent, to be sure, but unless you'd like an only slightly lighter version of the original, this is probably not essential.

This is good, but I prefer the original.

12th August, 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Something is amiss in this well-mannered flanker. The essence of what makes Opium homme parfume ticks is drastically pared down. So what remains is still a respectable, nice-smelling scent minus the berry notes which I love so much in the parfume. But why settle for a carbon copy when you can have the beautiful sexy beast that is Opium pour homme edp?

06th March, 2009

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

This review is for the blue or violet bottle, with chinese letters.
    Well, in general I like citrus or aquatic fragances, but I like some relax style, for to wear with a nice pair of jeans, my favorite Nike and that s it. I m 30, you know...
    This fragance have some enigma and aura, but is a little bit strong and for old people. If you are young? Mmmmmmm......
    Eau d Orient is too formal for me. Maybe good for others....
    Wait a second, is not bad....I never said that....I only say is too formal.

08th September, 2008

mrclmind's avatar

This review is for Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient Poésie de Chine (2008). It is a lovely, more transparent rethinking of Opium pour Homme. I haven't smelled the other Eau d'Orient versions so I have no basis for comparison. The first thing that came to mind when I sprayed this on is "Opium Eau de Cologne." The grapefruit on the top lightens the whole Opium effect without changing the composition into an entirely new fragrance altogether. A great anise/nutmeg accord sits in the heart of this one with a subtle dose of ginger and a grinding of lightly honeyed pepper. The dry down is lighter than original Opium consisting of a lovely sandalwood/amber and significantly less vanilla. With all of this lightening up of the fragrance one might think that it strays far from the original; however, there is never any doubt this is Opium. I think it's a great summer scent for Opium lovers who wouldn't dare touch the regular in the hotter months. I'm an Opium lover anyway (especially the EDP). Opium may not be the most sophisticated scent in my wardrobe, but it's a lot of fun to wear and I'm glad I have several concentrations to choose from.

23rd August, 2008

pasha's avatar

When a friend had asked me what I taught about Opium pour Homme, I was a little hesitant to answer, because I did not want anyone else to discover and steal this magnificent and elegant elixir from me.

But I was honest, and said I would buy any Opium scent that there is, without giving it a second thought. But then I questioned that statement, was I right? If YSL would release a hideously watered down lemony 'summer' or 'sport' edition of this great scent (which btw YSL is notorious of doing, as we all know), would I still buy it and betray this great cologne's originality, and myself of that matter? The answer would be no, of course.

When I learned that there was a second edition to this fragrance, I decided to come on the basenotes boards and read the reviews of the experienced noses. And I was very pleased to read the reviews I must say: they were all favorable. So I did a blind buy and boy am I happy with my decision! This fragrance is heaven: a great version of the great Opium pour Homme. I cannot say which one I prefer more, because both of them are equally magnificent. Opium pour Homme himself is known to be a dark Oriental, but I must admit this fits into that category a little better almost. This has a different, yet modern spiciness to it, and that creates another layer. The opening is slightly different as well, because of the injection of the bright grapefruit note.

I will say this, this is not necessarily a summer rendition as we know, or are accustomed to, by the other and more generic summer, or secondary, releases of heavy fragrances. This is slightly less 'dark' because of the citrus-y opening chord and a somewhat more woodsy base. That being said, this is a perfect edition, so good in fact, I am sure it will be a staple in my wardrobe just as Opium pour Homme has been for all this time.

To me, this is a perfect, and very masculine scent, because not only is it multi-layered, but also very rich in detail. It is not flat: it gets very warm and delicious on your skin. I cannot imagine any skin chemistry that could manage to bring out something nasty from this scent. It lasts for a very long time, which is always a plus for men. The bottle is identical to the original, only the juice is lighter, and there is a chic print of an Opium branch in purple, on the glass surface. (I also saw some other ones with a bamboo print instead, but I imagine both bottles contain the same scent) It looks very elegant.

Feels very Parisian. Modern yet decadent at the same time. I imagine this is the fragrance of an adventurer, or a dweller, who could also easily go the opera, or some chic Downtown club wearing this. Like its older brother, this is a type of frag that has at least two personalities, and all these personalities are very soignee and seductive at the same time.

From the first second that it comes out of its gorgeous bottle to the point that it departs from your skin, this fragrance will captivate you like no other.

21st July, 2008 (Last Edited: 14th August, 2009)

Add your review of Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient