Je Suis Un Homme (2006)

Year of Launch2006

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerAntoine Lie

About Je Suis Un Homme

Je Suis Un Homme is a shared / unisex perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Lie

Reviews of Je Suis Un Homme

Je Suis un Homme is a bigarade type cologne with lots of clove on opening. I know very little about classic men's perfumes and can't comment on what it resembles. However, the clove makes the first stage more interesting and deeper than a simple citrus burst.

After a few minutes it's nice and spicy but still cooling - it doesn't go cloying like some of the more fougère types.

Later, it gets a bit spicier with some cinnamon or ginger added to the clove, and a bit of the fougère woodiness that can sometimes go headachey on me but ok so far.
20th July, 2017
Being number 10 in a series of 16 reviews on critically acclaimed and noteworthy scents.

An instant favourite. Reminds me of Bottega Veneta Pour Homme - certainly the patchouli and leather drydown. If anything, though, my sample provides an even better result than BV, which can edge towards the slightly sour. Je Suis Un Homme adds the simultaneous dryness and sweetness of a traditional cologne accord, and this never fully leaves the party. What can I say - the whole ensemble just works.

I get superb longevity and, unusually for me, considerable sillage. A definite masculine in my view. I love the subversive name - "I am a man" - I don't know how this sounds in French (better, I imagine, as things generally do in French), but as far as I'm concerned, this is not something you would ever say in English outside a Western without the threat of laughter, and the French title masks that just a little. It evokes the image of a masculine chap who has enough of a sense of self-deprecating humour to know how ridiculous he will sound in thus presenting his credentials.

I note the resemblance to Derby as suggested in these reviews. I've never smelt Derby, but that's also compared to Or Black, which is in turn compared also to other leather fougeres, Rive Gauche and so on. This is very comfortable ground for me, and if it sounds like it will be for you too, then you should certainly try Je Suis Un Homme.

Owner's update, late October 2017: Having bought a 100ml bottle for a good deal, I can confirm that JSUH remains one of the most consistently wearable niche masculines that I know of. Not too assertive for work purposes; light applications highlight the spice and leather. A truly excellent olfactory companion.
24th October, 2016 (last edited: 25th October, 2017)
I advise you to read the reveiw on this page by Primavera 1000. I too was surprised to find divergent impressions among the reviews here, as if the USA samples were different from the European. I believe this is the case.

My sample came directly from Etat Libre in Paris. The amusing card that accompanied this stated Imperial Testosterone as its by-title. It is the only one of the five Etats I have sampled thus far that I have really liked and would wear. Its closeness to Guerlain's classic Derby has been stated in other reviews here and I would agree.

The spicy clove and cinammon take over after the citrus opening (bergamot, lemon and orange) fade. The woods (I detect cedar) blend beautifully with the patchouli, which make up the dry down after the spices fade. It is very masculine, sexy and sophisticated. A surprise from this eclectic house with its weird compositions and outrageous names. More shock value than quality.

So far the only Etat I would recommend wholeheartedly. Turin gave it four stars and named it a "woody citrus."
25th October, 2015
Third man by Caron mixed with bug repellent. In fact this is similar to Bowling Green by Grey Flannel.
31st March, 2015
Just like LT says, distant relative to Derby but with more citrus up top. Excellent alternative but of course not a substitute for King Derby. Potent opening, nice leathery-clove and cinnamon combo on the dry down. Rough and rugged for a manly man or a butch pretty boy. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
05th January, 2015
Genre: Leather

“Wham, bam, thank you ma’am!”

The harsh top notes remind me of Maître Parfumeur et Gantier's tough-guy Parfum d'Habit, but they pass very quickly. Patchouli and clove are obvious, along with a very musty leather and a boozy note that must represent the "cognac" in the note pyramid. This guy rolls over and fall asleep FAST. Within minutes Je Suis un Homme transforms into the faintest of patchouli skin scents, with just a trace of cloves and cinnamon. "Je Suis Un Wimp" is more apt, if you ask me.
18th June, 2014

Add your review of Je Suis Un Homme

Shop for Je Suis Un Homme products online

Shop for Je Suis Un Homme at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Je Suis Un Homme

Member images of Je Suis Un Homme

There are no member images of Je Suis Un Homme yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Je Suis Un Homme