Je Suis Un Homme (2006)

Year of Launch2006

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerAntoine Lie

About Je Suis Un Homme

Je Suis Un Homme is a shared / unisex perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2006 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Antoine Lie

Reviews of Je Suis Un Homme

I advise you to read the reveiw on this page by Primavera 1000. I too was surprised to find divergent impressions among the reviews here, as if the USA samples were different from the European. I believe this is the case.

My sample came directly from Etat Libre in Paris. The amusing card that accompanied this stated Imperial Testosterone as its by-title. It is the only one of the five Etats I have sampled thus far that I have really liked and would wear. Its closeness to Guerlain's classic Derby has been stated in other reviews here and I would agree.

The spicy clove and cinammon take over after the citrus opening (bergamot, lemon and orange) fade. The woods (I detect cedar) blend beautifully with the patchouli, which make up the dry down after the spices fade. It is very masculine, sexy and sophisticated. A surprise from this eclectic house with its weird compositions and outrageous names. More shock value than quality.

So far the only Etat I would recommend wholeheartedly. Turin gave it four stars and named it a "woody citrus."
25th October, 2015
Third man by Caron mixed with bug repellent. In fact this is similar to Bowling Green by Grey Flannel.
31st March, 2015
Just like LT says, distant relative to Derby but with more citrus up top. Excellent alternative but of course not a substitute for King Derby. Potent opening, nice leathery-clove and cinnamon combo on the dry down. Rough and rugged for a manly man or a butch pretty boy. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
05th January, 2015
Genre: Leather

“Wham, bam, thank you ma’am!”

The harsh top notes remind me of Maître Parfumeur et Gantier's tough-guy Parfum d'Habit, but they pass very quickly. Patchouli and clove are obvious, along with a very musty leather and a boozy note that must represent the "cognac" in the note pyramid. This guy rolls over and fall asleep FAST. Within minutes Je Suis un Homme transforms into the faintest of patchouli skin scents, with just a trace of cloves and cinnamon. "Je Suis Un Wimp" is more apt, if you ask me.
18th June, 2014
Classic theme, modern variation

People speak about this as citrus cologne, but for me this is a leather scent foremost.
It starts with very classic and clean lemon. It feels soft, not like cleaning product. After a moment I usually smell clear bidagree note, not far a way from note in Bidagree concentree by Malle. Sometimes I notice the cognac note. Usually not.
Then there is the leather. I think it's a bit similar to leather in Rien. Very serious and dry. The gloves give some warmness and almost bring something like body odour to it.
In my mind Je suis un homme is brown leather with some grey hue. Sometimes I notice something very dark and animalic lurking behind the leather. It makes it more intresting.
It is the most masculine fragrance from Etat Libre d'Orange. It is clearly a modern interpretation of a very classic theme. For me this is the most wearable perfume in every day life from this house.

Pros: Masculine, classic, affordable

28th June, 2013
Opens very sharp with citrus, bergamot, and also slightly boozy with the cognac accord (perhaps parched woods and vetiver) which seems to dominate. Refined, somewhat aloof, somewhat old-school. Cloves and spices in the dry down warm things up a little bit as the leather emerges--dry and dusty, but never quite dominating. Bergamot lingers, as does citrus in the form of astringent pith, rather than fruit or zest. Things are pretty stable from here on, so, all told, on me this is a citric, slightly spicy, and astringent leather/cognac. The cognac seems to outweigh the other elements by just a tad. It projects well and is long lasting. Oddly, I do not sense any animalic values at all. Perhaps warmer weather would bring these out.
30th April, 2013

Add your review of Je Suis Un Homme

Shop for Je Suis Un Homme products online

Shop for Je Suis Un Homme at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Je Suis Un Homme

Member images of Je Suis Un Homme

There are no member images of Je Suis Un Homme yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Je Suis Un Homme