Domenico Caraceni 1913 (2007)
by Domenico Caraceni

Domenico Caraceni 1913 information

Year of Launch2007

HouseDomenico Caraceni

About Domenico Caraceni 1913

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is a masculine fragrance by Domenico Caraceni. The scent was launched in 2007

Reviews of Domenico Caraceni 1913

A perfume story. Review of Domenico Caraceni © 2016 Frankie Chocolate. (For my Friend Collin Maillard)

“Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel.” Proverbs 27:9

I waited a long time to get this sauce. I had a little snifter ml. and finally got the full bottle of stuff opened it up sprayed my brains out. When I woke up I’m eight years old again and my ma brings me to John Debnar’s barbershop for a haircut. I was cute kid back then with dark wavy hair that you could shape with Brillcream or VO5 hair cream. Never mind I grew up to be a hideous and a rotter I was a cute kid with a great smile back then. Still got the smile.

So before I climb up into the chair John get this black puffy padded plank and sit it across the seat so I don’t disappear into the chair. He then pumps the chair up and I’m thrilled for the amazing chair that goes up like a slowing rising rocket.

He picks out some comic book about soldiers caught in a time warp and they gotta fight some T-Rex to get back home. It was that or little Lulu. Now I got a thing for this chick but I go with sergeant Nick Fury and that tough as nails scowl and him chomping on a stogie telling the Dum Dum Dugan—where did Stan Lee get this names—the mustachioed strong man in the Derby to get the lead out cuz no one lives forever and they got a war to win.

The chair stops at the top floor and I boldly stick my arms out the sides of the slick black apron and start pouring over the comic book forbidden at home. I’m sitting up on my throne, I’m about to get a haircut and I got a fresh comic book in my mitts. The world is my oyster.

John makes me feel like I’m 18 instead of 8. Making small talk and treating me as a man albeit a young man instead of a punk kid. John was a class act all the way.

He finished the cut and then uses this awesome cool edged rubber lipped vacuum to suck all the little hairs off my neck.

Then in dead seriousness he bends down and asks would I like him to clean up my non-existent sideburns.

Yes my good man. I believe I would.

So he goes over to this little hot lather dispenser and warms my cheeks with this most wonderful of all fragrance shaving cream. He taps the straight razor across the space where one day side burns will grow then dabs on some Lilac Vegetal which is amazing in and of itself .

I’d dearly like to take the comic book home but other kids are gonna want to read it. Somebody has already paid John for my haircut and he shows me the mirror and waits my approval. I give it and get a piece of double bubble as a reward. I hop down from the chair after he’s lowered it; a little sad the pampering is over.

John is a class act all the way and treated me like a gentleman, almost royalty. I leave the store chomping on the too sweet I love it anyway wad of gum wishing it for once wouldn’t turn stiff and almost unchewable in the next half hour like I know it’s gonna.

I turn the corner and head for home. All is right and well with the world.

That’s the feeling you get when you spray on Domenico Caraceni 1913.

It has rose and orange in the top notes and something spicy-zingy lurking above the wood base notes. I don’t have the vocab or knowledge to describe it in glowing details. Plenty of the other guys can get all nuancy for your edification. I’m a storyteller and this juice tells one of its own that’s if not breathtaking then still very pleasant, light and can evoke memories you never knew you had.

When you smell it you are carried back to old fashioned barber shops and long slow summer days when if you had a quarter you simply could not eat all the chocolate it would buy you at .05 each mammoth Hershey bar.

It’s a happy scent. Very lovely. Not a to die for frag. But one to put on when you want to forget all the pretense, snobbery and condescending aloofness I’m trying so hard to learn on this site. Spray it on and be happy. Easy huh?

I’m not sure I agree with Collin that this rose competes with Amouge for best masculine rose but the dude did say “for me “ and who can argue with an opinion framed in such a humble manner—what a guy—what a guy but for my ducats I’m searching out a quality vendor to scoop up a bottle of Amouge Homage. That rose is beyond description. (Update: I got my bottle, the earlier white box edition and it’s the bomb diggety. Read my review.) This rose is totally approachable, friendly and like an old friend who opens the door before you get there anticipating you coming in. I can smell the pot roast just coming out of the oven and it smells good. My mouth is watering. I’ve splashed on D.C. 1913 and now it’s a party. Ciao… No. Too pretentious for a mug from Chi-town. Smell you later? Yeah. That one fits. Smell you later tater. The end.

01st January, 2016 (last edited: 20th January, 2016)
drseid Show all reviews
*Note: This is a review of the current formula of Domenico Caraceni 1913.

Domenico Caraceni 1913 opens with a light, airy rose with a slight dull orange undertone. Moving to the early heart the rose remains, losing some of its initial airy nature and swapping in substantial powder, as the orange undertone grows into a co-starring role melding with a tobacco-like note, giving the composition a balmy overall texture. During the late dry-down the powdery rose-orange-tobacco accord gradually recedes, revealing a touch of radiant frankincense in the base coupling with woody cypress through the finish. Projection is excellent and longevity very good at 10-12 hours on skin.

The original release of Domenico Caraceni 1913 is extremely well sought after, so much so that bottles were selling on places like eBay for upwards of $400 a piece the last time I checked. Unfortunately for this writer that was far too much to risk for a blind buy, so I never got a chance to sniff the original release to my chagrin. It was great news when the composition was re-released, now giving folks like myself a chance to see what the legion of fans of the original were crowing about. Unfortunately, while I haven't smelled the vintage for comparison, the current release really isn't anything to write home about. The open starts off quite nice with a very natural smelling transparent airy rose. Unfortunately, that initial transparency is short lived, as a dull orange note starts out as support, gaining momentum while coupling with an odd tobacco-like substance as time passes to reach near-parity with the now powdery rose, spoiling the party. The overall heart accord really is unimpressive to say the least, and the combination of the powdery rose with the dull orange and pseudo tobacco really reminds me of a cross between lipstick and powdery makeup. On the positive side, the late dry-down salvages the downward spiral rather nicely, as once the powdery rose and dulled orange recede, the composition unveils a fine frankincense and woody finish that smells very good, making one wish they could have just skipped the middle section of the composition's development entirely, getting to it earlier. The bottom line is the $135 per 100ml Domenico Caraceni 1913 starts and finishes well, but its key middle is near-torturous to endure, earning it an "average" rating of 2.5 stars out of 5 overall and a neutral recommendation.
27th October, 2015
This is not a full review but a brief update to remark only on the 2015 re-release of Domenico Caraceni 1913. I performed a focused old versus new two-hand test for a several hours and, as is often the case with reformulations, the exercise sadly became the murder of a beautiful theory by a gang of brutal facts. Honestly there is no contest. After a period of time the vintage seems like it has about twice the stuffing and projection. The base of the vintage is far richer and, unlike what you might expect with a vintage/new comparison, the vintage has a subtle but sustained top-note layer featuring a sort of clove-y menthol vibe that the new version completely lacks. This difference in the high notes is just one of the factors that suggests to me that the variances at issue are not merely a function of ingredient concentrations given the relative age of the juice.

Today I am wearing the vintage as my SOTD and the intensity and projection from two spays is almost uncomfortably strong for at least the first three to four hours. Perhaps the reformulation, therefore, is somehow easier to wear, but I do worry a bit that it lacks character. In particular, I wonder if it is as distinctive a rose-centered masculine fragrance as other options such as Lyric Man, Egoist, Déclaration d'Un Soir, or others – not that this is a large category. It may well be, however, that the new Caraceni looks puny only when placed next to the giant of the original. Alternative comparisons may well prove more felicitous.
06th October, 2015
Oh, what an underrated gem. Possibly the best masculine rose scent ever for me (yes, taking into account Amouage, Czech & Speake and others). The opening of 1913 is surprisingly pleasant, with a bold barbershop/“antique grooming toilet” feel mostly centered on rose, carnation and tobacco, posed on a dark, camphorous, dusty and slightly indolic base (jasmine?) like in many old masculine chypres. The floral accord is dark and lascivious, quite more bold than usual for this kind of “traditional” masculine colognes, and gives 1913 a really peculiar and distinctive austere but irresistibly sophisticated grace; a sort of decadent, shady, vaguely “dandy” kind of refinement, mixed to an austere feel reminding me of classic Italian aftershaves – kind of more nutty and floral, no citrus-lavender-leather “Britishness”. Extremely classy, mature and pleasant, slightly “outdated” in a totally positive way; one of the very few Italian perfumes which indeed speaks Italian to me, meaning that it makes me think of the dusty, cozy, shady, kind of shabby and modest beauty of barber parlours and small tailors’ ateliers – the kind of places where our beloved Italian heritage of elegance was born and is still being kept alive (nothing fancy or luxurious, I rather think of understated, shabby boutiques). “Penhaligon’s Sartorial”? Meh... this is possibly the closest fragrance to my concept of “gentleman” I’ve ever tried - and that surprises me given that I usually tend to associate vintage scents to that idea. The drydown is just fantastic and irresistibly classy, rose and dry tobacco. Persistence is everlasting, just a bit cloying after a while, but really solid. Great (and obviously, discontinued).

8,5/10

EDIT (05/2015): If anyone's interested, they relaunched this scent recently. Different bottle, slightly different juice, but totally good the same for me. It is already available at some local Italian shops, I guess it will be available online as well at some point.
13th January, 2015 (last edited: 27th May, 2015)
Genre: Woods

There is a brief, pungent blast of sour citrus when I put on Domenico Caraceni, followed by a unique and mysterious blend of sweet rose, honey, and dark fruit. These elements blend into a rich accord that is at once familiar and elusive. It evokes some dim olfactory memory that slinks about the fringes of my memory without ever fully revealing itself. I don’t know if I’ll ever fully recognize it, but it keeps teasing and tugging at my nose.

The fruit begins to smell of plum to me, an as it merges with the rose I am reminded of the lush, sweet scent of passion fruit. Sweet spices, including perhaps cardamom and cinnamon, waft in as the scent develops, and I begin to perceive hints of creamy sandalwood, and perhaps even rosewood peeking up from the depths. Very warm musks make themselves evident as well, but the accord that results is so well blended that it soon becomes impossible to distinguish its components.

Domenico Caraceni’s deep, yet elusive heart beats on in a consistent rhythm for a matter of hours before the balance begins to alter. The sweet spices and honey notes fall away, leaving a clearer and cooler rose exposed over very delicately balanced woods and a guardedly animalic musk. The very gradual drydown descends through layers of smooth wood, warm musk and a few powdery notes before the whole scent fades away entirely. Sillage and projection are moderate, and longevity is better than most. This scent will surely be compared to Czech and Speake’s No. 88, which to me seems a darker, drier, and “craggier” scent than Domenico Caraceni. I also think that No. 88 is more hard edged and potent. Both scents strike me as extremely dignified and sophisticated, but the sweet, plumy note and the very warm musk in Domenico Cararceni leave me thinking of it as the gentler and more comforting of the two. If you’re looking for a masculine rose scent and find the Montale Aouds too harsh or assertive, you should try this excellent scent.
12th June, 2014
Tony T Show all reviews
Not all about roses

I get more frank and tobacco than rose..

Definitely a quality scent.. Not for everyday use..

It reminds me of Courvoisier and Pure Malt..

That same boozy bourbon masculine accord..

Rose lingers throughout the longevity of the scent but it's more than a rose scent..

Longevity and Projection is 6-7 hours on me

Pros: A lot of character
Cons: Can't pronounce the name"

15th October, 2013