Domenico Caraceni 1913
by Domenico Caraceni

Domenico Caraceni 1913 information

HouseDomenico Caraceni

About Domenico Caraceni 1913

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is a masculine fragrance by Domenico Caraceni.

Reviews of Domenico Caraceni 1913

Oh, what an underrated gem. Possibly the best masculine rose scent ever for me (yes, taking into account Amouage, Czech & Speake and others). The opening of 1913 is surprisingly pleasant, with a bold barbershop/“antique grooming toilet” feel mostly centered on rose, carnation and tobacco, posed on a dark, camphorous, dusty and slightly indolic base (jasmine?) like in many old masculine chypres. The floral accord is dark and lascivious, quite more bold than usual for this kind of “traditional” masculine colognes, and gives 1913 a really peculiar and distinctive austere but irresistibly sophisticated grace; a sort of decadent, shady, vaguely “dandy” kind of refinement, mixed to an austere feel reminding me of classic Italian aftershaves – kind of more nutty and floral, no citrus-lavender-leather “Britishness”. Extremely classy, mature and pleasant, slightly “outdated” in a totally positive way; one of the very few Italian perfumes which indeed speaks Italian to me, meaning that it makes me think of the dusty, cozy, shady, kind of shabby and modest beauty of barber parlours and small tailors’ ateliers – the kind of places where our beloved Italian heritage of elegance was born and is still being kept alive (nothing fancy or luxurious, I rather think of understated, shabby boutiques). “Penhaligon’s Sartorial”? Meh... this is possibly the closest fragrance to my concept of “gentleman” I’ve ever tried - and that surprises me given that I usually tend to associate vintage scents to that idea. The drydown is just fantastic and irresistibly classy, rose and dry tobacco. Persistence is everlasting, just a bit cloying after a while, but really solid. Great (and obviously, discontinued).

8,5/10

EDIT (05/2015): If anyone's interested, they relaunched this scent recently. Different bottle, slightly different juice, but totally good the same for me. It is already available at some local Italian shops, I guess it will be available online as well at some point.
13th January, 2015 (last edited: 27th May, 2015)
Genre: Woods

There is a brief, pungent blast of sour citrus when I put on Domenico Caraceni, followed by a unique and mysterious blend of sweet rose, honey, and dark fruit. These elements blend into a rich accord that is at once familiar and elusive. It evokes some dim olfactory memory that slinks about the fringes of my memory without ever fully revealing itself. I don’t know if I’ll ever fully recognize it, but it keeps teasing and tugging at my nose.

The fruit begins to smell of plum to me, an as it merges with the rose I am reminded of the lush, sweet scent of passion fruit. Sweet spices, including perhaps cardamom and cinnamon, waft in as the scent develops, and I begin to perceive hints of creamy sandalwood, and perhaps even rosewood peeking up from the depths. Very warm musks make themselves evident as well, but the accord that results is so well blended that it soon becomes impossible to distinguish its components.

Domenico Caraceni’s deep, yet elusive heart beats on in a consistent rhythm for a matter of hours before the balance begins to alter. The sweet spices and honey notes fall away, leaving a clearer and cooler rose exposed over very delicately balanced woods and a guardedly animalic musk. The very gradual drydown descends through layers of smooth wood, warm musk and a few powdery notes before the whole scent fades away entirely. Sillage and projection are moderate, and longevity is better than most. This scent will surely be compared to Czech and Speake’s No. 88, which to me seems a darker, drier, and “craggier” scent than Domenico Caraceni. I also think that No. 88 is more hard edged and potent. Both scents strike me as extremely dignified and sophisticated, but the sweet, plumy note and the very warm musk in Domenico Cararceni leave me thinking of it as the gentler and more comforting of the two. If you’re looking for a masculine rose scent and find the Montale Aouds too harsh or assertive, you should try this excellent scent.
12th June, 2014
Tony T Show all reviews
Not all about roses

I get more frank and tobacco than rose..

Definitely a quality scent.. Not for everyday use..

It reminds me of Courvoisier and Pure Malt..

That same boozy bourbon masculine accord..

Rose lingers throughout the longevity of the scent but it's more than a rose scent..

Longevity and Projection is 6-7 hours on me

Pros: A lot of character
Cons: Can't pronounce the name"

15th October, 2013
I get a mere whiff of rose at on my skin. On me it opens with a plastic citrus, giving way to a bay rum clove, and then this faintest of white rose scents.

I too got my sample from LuckyScent. I was following up on a rose chypre scent they also offer, Montale's Black Aoud, which is identical to Lalique's classic Perles.

There the scent of rose is strong, dark and dominant. With 1913 I get plastic notes, then a light musky rose, fading quickly.

Not one of the great rose scents.
12th November, 2012
I can't say that DC 1913 is not interesting. It is. A slightly soapy spicy (3X clove) candied rose. As it dries down it smells increasingly refined. I could see coming out of a fancy barbershop of some unspecified time and place and smelling like this. Funerals, you say? If I did smell this at funeral I'd never forget it.....or the deceased. This is the kind of thing I like to wear not because I'm so enamored of it but rather to see the reactions of other people to it. Yes, for me it's a little weird but in a fun kind of way.
04th December, 2011
Nothing bad to say about 1913 but nothing perticularly exciting either. It's a good rose centered scent where the main note is orchestrated to smell very aromatic. The frankincese add some depth and perfectly balance the soapy vibe given by the rose-tobacco combo. Well crafted, elegant and versatile but not exactly what I'm into.

Overall, if you like rose, this is a good fragrance and could make a valid alternative to heavier perfumes in the same vein.
29th July, 2011 (last edited: 05th August, 2011)

Add your review of Domenico Caraceni 1913

Shop for Domenico Caraceni 1913 products online

Search Amazon for Domenico Caraceni 1913

Member images of Domenico Caraceni 1913

There are no member images of Domenico Caraceni 1913 yet. Why not be the first?