Chipre
    by Madini

Average Rating:

Chipre information

Chipre is a unisex fragrance by Madini.

Reviews of Chipre

Showing 1 to of 5 reviews.

tourmaline's avatar

I'm a classic chypre lover - my faves are Ma Griffe, Madame Rochas, YSL "Y", Mitsouko, Magie Noir, Shiseido Zen Classic, etc., all vintage versions if you please. Madini Chipre starts out with a well integrated bergamot wrapped inside an accord of indistinguishable florals and a peanut-buttery benzoin. Then in drying down further it moves into oakmoss territory, a very powdery, perfumery oakmoss + amber accord that is pretty but slightly more oriental than chypre; this drydown reminds me a little of that of Toujours Moi. I was not a fan of the beginning...but I can admit that the drydown is very pretty in a deeply powdery way. This does not smell of a chypre to me, more like a powdery oriental.

07 January, 2011 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2011)

cheryl's avatar

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what this smells like. It goes on with a soapy floral green note (not great to me) and relaxes to sweet honeyed floral powder (better, but not magical). I am not drawn into it. It seems like it may be trying to smother me. I'm not feeling chypre at all, but powder.

03 September, 2010

What a pleasant fragrance! Lively, refreshing, dry, and woody: But not woody in the traditional sense, itís a sparkling, fresh, version of light wood. Itís drydown is a rich, discreet, primarily woody, low sillage accord that has excellent longevity. For being a Madini, itís quite unique and trendyÖ unique and trendy in the very best sense. I was unsure about the chypre designation until Chipre was into its drydown: Thatís when it showed its chypre essence, and thatís where it became a gotta-have for me. Though Chipre is difficult to describe and categorize, it is totally enjoyable; and itís something that should be on the to-test list of every chypre lover.

28 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2010)

TaoLady's avatar

Don't you love the differences in body chemistry!! On me (78 year old - slightly dry skin, living at the beach) this beauty is honeyed vanilla and white flowers with only a whisper of green. Very round and elegant, like the classic French ones. Sits close to the skin but has great sillage.

14 April, 2007

purplebird7's avatar

One of the unusual, exotic, un-sweet fragrances in the Madini line. This one comes out of the bottle dark green-black in color. It is sharp, tangy, clean, dry, warm, very earthy, and somewhat green. To me, it smells nothing like its description as a woody, musky, floral; rather more like green twigs and spruce needles and benefits from time to develop on the skin.

23 March, 2007