Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 25 ratings

Snake Oil information

Snake Oil is a unisex fragrance by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab.

Reviews of Snake Oil

Showing 1 to 6 of 12 reviews.
    positive 9 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

philistine's avatar

One reviewer above comments that "it makes me feel like a dirty child gorging on marshmallows in front of a campfire". I think that's a very fair assessment - and for anyone who has not yet experienced the joy of tossing away the tuxedo, shredding the opera tickets and living in the moment (by which I mean getting smashed around a fire at a music festival with your dearest friends), I heartily recommend trying this scent!

For my personal taste Snake Oil is a little too sweet and not grounded enough, but it's also famous among BPAL fans for developing differently on everyone, and remains the Lab's top selling fragrance. BPAL are not a house of sophistication and urbanity, they are a house of glorious, subversive individuality, and Snake Oil is an icon of that style.

03 July, 2014

Aiden's avatar

England England

I was very dubious about trying this. But I managed, finally, to get an Imp sized bottle to try. The label that was on the bottle smelt very sweet. I could definitely smell the aroma of Vanilla along with a very old musky smell to it. I also noticed after wearing for a few days that it smells slightly different every time I wear it, which is very intriguing. Depending on what your specifically looking for, it has all the qualities I wanted...something totally out there, that most people don't know about. A mysterious scent that nobody instantly recognises. But try not to put to much on. Though judging by it's current exclusiveness, I have stopped wearing mine for the time being because it's proving to be very hard to get.

02 April, 2014

Amos Jolthead's avatar

Wow - it's hard to not like this scent. I was given a free sample with a recent order, so I only tried this a couple of times. Right off the bat I can see why this is their best seller. It's just such a harmonizing blend. It seems somehow natural - the notes are all very fitting for one another. They blend seamlessly. It's both simple, yet complex. I basically got a mix of oriental spices, some sweet notes in there mixed with a soft vanilla. It remained fairly linear on me until the spices died down some and the vanilla became more prominent, but overall it was a sweet/spicy vanilla, at times powdery kind of scent.

18 January, 2014

's avatar

Sillage is good and the scent lasted around twelve hours.
    On me it starts out with lots of campfire smoke, a little dirt, and a baby powder undertone. After about an hour the smoke/earth gives way to more baby powder and a cloyingly sweet vanilla which remains static. In the background there is spicy incense smoke and musk but they fade rather quickly.
    I was expecting Snake Oil to be smooth, polished, maybe sensual... but instead it makes me feel like a dirty child gorging on marshmallows in front of a campfire. It is much too strong, much too sweet, and I'm glad I have no plans to leave the house today.
    However, I've passed around my sample to general acclaim. The verdict? Everyone but me loves this. Give it a shot...

22 December, 2011

LadyDragonFire's avatar

This perfume is okay but when I wear it people ask if I have baby powder on. I prefer perfumes that actually smell like perfume. However, I can still see some similarities with Shalimar, and I can understand why it might be mistaken for that fragrance. Personally, I like Shalimar more though.

15 November, 2011

cherrycherry6's avatar

Snake Oil is a beatifully rich, sweet and musky blend that gets better and better as it ages. It's an addictive scent that has me huffing at my wrists whenever I wear it. It's seductive and commanding - a real 'notice me!' scent. Beautiful.

10th July, 2011