Iris Ganache (2007)

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerThierry Wasser
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Iris Ganache

The fifth fragrance in the L'Art et la Matière range.

Iris Ganache fragrance notes

Reviews of Iris Ganache

rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is a mix of a soft and smooth Siberian iris that has touches of sweetness and powderiness to it, with an initial dash of bergamot for a glimpse of brightness, as well as addition sweetness provided by a cinnamon with whiffs of caramel.

The iris dwells on for a number of hours and is joined in the drydown by touches of a soft violet, when the white chocolate arrives, which is hinted at in the name of this creation. White chocolate fragrance is difficult to make, and as white chocolate as such has no cocoa solids in it, its taste and smell are much more nuanced than that of dark chocolate. Whilst not really very intense or vivid, Guerlain has done quite a good job on this white chocolate note, which at times reminds me of a not too gelatinous and restrained white mousse au chocolat.

Towards the base a vanilla notes is added that is equally restrained and subdued, and ensures a continuation of the sweet gourmand theme, but this creation never becomes intrusively sweet or cloying. Otherwise the base follows the trodden path pursued by some other products if this house: a soft patchouli, a nonspecific woodsiness in the background - I don’t get much cedar here - and this all finished off by lashings of white musk.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and nine hours of longevity on my skin.

This pleasant scent for warmer autumn days initially gave me the impression of a certain mediocrity and lack of vividness. It certainly has its weak and predictable spots, especially the base falling under this category. On the other hand, there are definite strokes of captivating originality, even if I take a step back and ignore my subjective weakness for white chocolate; from an objective point of view I have to acknowledge that the olfactory version of white chocolate has only been attempted before quite rarely. Overall just in the positive realm. 3/5
24th March, 2020
Kotori Show all reviews
Iris Ganache opens sweet and violetty, as I imagine violet candies might be if eaten with white chocolate. It's rich and soft and sweet, without inducing a toothache. After a nap, I found it had dried down to delicious, soft, rich, buttery white chocolate. Mr. Kotori was especially entranced. Alas, something lovely that I cannot have!!!
26th August, 2017
From the listed notes, I think I'm picking up iris (orris root), something sweet such as white chocolate, with vanilla, and something edgy such as musky patchouli. I get an association with cola and, more fleetingly, wet hay.

I get associations with Dior Homme Intense, Coromandel, Shalimar Sur la Route du Mexique, and Musc Ravageur, and it falls in the middle of these, as listed, in order of preference.

It's sweet, but not overly, and complex. It delivers on its name: it smells like iris (orris root) and pastry cream.
12th July, 2017
It opens very sweetly in something like (delicious) cough syrup, then come the usual hard times from this line. Except they seem to last longer for this one. It gives something bitter, balsamic and animalistic. The iris is only present in the form of powder. It's not bad, but it can be too original (or weird) for many people. Sample first (especially considering its price).
24th April, 2017
I received this rarity from a VERY generous friend in the form of a 5 ml decant. I spent a few days just sniffing it...trying to decide what I thought.

I was...underwhelmed. I sense I just uttered blasphemy in the world of fragrance, but I cannot be untrue to my nose.

I love the fragrance profile of Iris - the many facets of iris - cold, creamy, floral...but I could not detect any of that here. Instead, I smelled something like a really rich desert. I have nothing against desert (in fact, as I type this, the scent is convincing me to perhaps mix up some Ghirardelli brownie mix and eat it raw), but I draw the line at sweets with ambers and tonkas.

I have no doubt that for those chocolate scent lovers, this must TRULY be a heavenly scent, but I do wonder if they too experienced the mild silage and rather short-lived longevity as I did.

All in all, I am very grateful to have had opportunity to get my nose on this legend.
27th June, 2016 (last edited: 28th June, 2016)
A friend has gifted me with a generous sample of IRIS GANACHE. It may be that I am slightly anosmic to the chemicals in this fragrance, because, even wet on my fingertips, the effect is very faint and diaphanous.

I confess, iris is not my favorite perfumer's note when given a starring role, yet here, the sweeter notes make it seem less raw, rooty and carrot-y.

Funny, I do not detect the cinnamon, and the white chocolate is more of visual "fantasy note" here than a creamy edible. I'm amazed at those here who find the chocolate strong and sweet.

Yes, I get the initial feeling of APRES L'ONDEE... that "spring rain-wet violets" note that is lovely, feminine and nostalgic. The opening also seems to have a faint almond quality, with its winsome cherry-like nuance, but it vanishes quickly. I also have moments of being reminded of JE REVIENS, with its curious "vintage 60's hairspray" quality. The iris adds its slightly bitter, slightly aromatic rootiness to the mix, and with the delicately emerging sweetness, I do indeed get the "vintage cosmetics/lipstick" vibe.

I do agree with the post-er here who mentions the plastic-y smell of dolls' heads from one's childhood. But true perfumistas will agree that "plastic-y" is not necessarily a fault or putdown: it can sometimes have a fascinating, sleek quality, as it does in scents like Dior DUNE.

Interestingly, I smell the cedar-- it adds an unusual masculine baritone buzz to the Edwardian girl-y vibe of the "white" notes-- yet I am not detecting patchouly... unless it is just so exquisitely blended here, it serves more as a subliminal "body".

All-in-all, this is a pleasant but faint and somewhat "un-fleshed-out" or "unfinished" perfume. I don't think I could covet this and weave my life around it as others here seem anxious to do. But maybe its transparent simplicity is exactly what's good about it.
02nd April, 2016

End Date: Monday Apr-20-2020 7:35:07 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $599.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Member images of Iris Ganache

There are no member images of Iris Ganache yet. Why not be the first?