French Lover / Bois d'Orage (2007)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

French Lover / Bois d'Orage information

Year of Launch2007

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerPierre Bourdon
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About French Lover / Bois d'Orage

French Lover / Bois d'Orage is a masculine fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Bourdon

French Lover / Bois d'Orage fragrance notes

Reviews of French Lover / Bois d'Orage

Top marks for being realistic!!

I mean this smells like you just juiced a green leaf and stalk and then rubbed it all over your body. Not my cup of tea but if you are that way inclined then could be ideal.
12th May, 2018
Best perfume ever created. Period. For Me. Unfortunately there was a slight reformulation since the Lauder takeover and it has changed. I'd say it's about 85%-90% the same so it's not a bad reform, but still, the original is a complete masterpiece. Pierre Bourdon will forever hold a place in my heart for creating this.
24th March, 2018
I can't find the complex mix of animalic notes that Rogalal notices, nor the poisonous aspect that Gimmegreen describes. I'm not saying they are wrong, better noses than mine have reached similar conclusions, notably Katie Puckrik in the States and Luca Turin in the UK.

However most of us seem to be agreed that it's in no way a French Lover, the name Bois d'Orage or Stormwood suits it much better.

It's a nice angelica roots note. If you don't know what angelica roots oil smells like, you do now. There is a rank "methylated spirits" aspect, which may be what Puckrik was referring to when she described her association to her father in his dirty overalls.

In short, Bois d'Orage - I can't think of it as French Lover - is a great fragrance, dry, daring, and different. It has more character than its close cousin, Angeliques sous la Pluie, and I like that one well enough, but Bourdon's creation just caps it.

20th January, 2018 (last edited: 22nd January, 2018)
How curious. I liked the opening few minutes, all wet leaves and such, and thought I might have found something with galbanum that I enjoyed. But then I went to smell my arm again and lo it had transformed into...the smell of dried fish scales, perhaps a few weeks old. Not strong, but not going away any time soon. Unsure where that's coming from--something ammoniac I guess (where's Luca Turin when you need him?). As a result this is not for me.
03rd January, 2018
I really enjoyed the initial 45 minutes of this - invigorating and interesting - on occasion have made me smile a bit. After that it becomes a very serious and depressing scent, the metallic, the dirty-sweaty and the low-pitched woody/spicy smells dominate. I get an image of a man having chopped wood and dug dirt for hours, standing half-naked exhausted in the dark summer forest.

I have a similar problem with Hermann by etat libre d'orange, another scent that starts off good but goes more and more metallic, unpleasant and bland. FL is not as bad - it keeps some small degree of interest in me. I'm mostly offended by how bored I get by both of these scents.

Lasts a very long time on me, just like the above mentioned ELDO fragrance.
23rd December, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is quite original in its combination of angelica and vetiver, resulting in an aroma of wet leaves in a forest; the woodsy contribution by the cedar wood becomes increasingly more substantial further into the drydown. The vetiver's earthy touch adds another facet to this olfactory nature sketch.

Galbanum and patchouli arise in the later stages, and together with a gentle incense note in the background that dominate the base. The incense is mild, and only towards the end expresses a touch of a balsamic undertone, very discreetly only.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

And autumnal daytime scent that is well-executed, displaying good structure and creative touches. 3.25/5.
30th July, 2017

Add your review of French Lover / Bois d'Orage

Shop for French Lover / Bois d'Orage products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of French Lover / Bois d'Orage

There are no member images of French Lover / Bois d'Orage yet. Why not be the first?