French Lover / Bois d'Orage (2007)
by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

French Lover / Bois d'Orage information

Year of Launch2007

HouseEditions de Parfums Frederic Malle
PerfumerPierre Bourdon
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About French Lover / Bois d'Orage

French Lover / Bois d'Orage is a masculine fragrance by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Bourdon

French Lover / Bois d'Orage fragrance notes

Reviews of French Lover / Bois d'Orage

I can't find the complex mix of animalic notes that Rogalal notices, nor the poisonous aspect that Gimmegreen describes. I'm not saying they are wrong, better noses than mine have reached similar conclusions, notably Katie Puckrik in the States and Luca Turin in the UK.

However most of us seem to be agreed that it's in no way a French Lover, the name Bois d'Orage or Stormwood suits it much better.

It's a nice angelica roots note. If you don't know what angelica roots oil smells like, you do now. There is a rank "methylated spirits" aspect, which may be what Puckrik was referring to when she described her association to her father in his dirty overalls.

In short, Bois d'Orage - I can't think of it as French Lover - is a great fragrance, dry, daring, and different. It has more character than its close cousin, Angeliques sous la Pluie, and I like that one well enough, but Bourdon's creation just caps it.

20th January, 2018 (last edited: 22nd January, 2018)
How curious. I liked the opening few minutes, all wet leaves and such, and thought I might have found something with galbanum that I enjoyed. But then I went to smell my arm again and lo it had transformed into...the smell of dried fish scales, perhaps a few weeks old. Not strong, but not going away any time soon. Unsure where that's coming from--something ammoniac I guess (where's Luca Turin when you need him?). As a result this is not for me.
03rd January, 2018
I really enjoyed the initial 45 minutes of this - invigorating and interesting - on occasion have made me smile a bit. After that it becomes a very serious and depressing scent, the metallic, the dirty-sweaty and the low-pitched woody/spicy smells dominate. I get an image of a man having chopped wood and dug dirt for hours, standing half-naked exhausted in the dark summer forest.

I have a similar problem with Hermann by etat libre d'orange, another scent that starts off good but goes more and more metallic, unpleasant and bland. FL is not as bad - it keeps some small degree of interest in me. I'm mostly offended by how bored I get by both of these scents.

Lasts a very long time on me, just like the above mentioned ELDO fragrance.
23rd December, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The opening is quite original in its combination of angelica and vetiver, resulting in an aroma of wet leaves in a forest; the woodsy contribution by the cedar wood becomes increasingly more substantial further into the drydown. The vetiver's earthy touch adds another facet to this olfactory nature sketch.

Galbanum and patchouli arise in the later stages, and together with a gentle incense note in the background that dominate the base. The incense is mild, and only towards the end expresses a touch of a balsamic undertone, very discreetly only.

I get moderate sillage, very good projection and eight hours of longevity on my skin.

And autumnal daytime scent that is well-executed, displaying good structure and creative touches. 3.25/5.
30th July, 2017
In the late 00's, every niche line had to have one of those iso e super/pepper/vetiver/incense perfumes. Bois d'Orage is Frederick Malle's.

What separates it from the pack is a really complex mix of animalic notes. There's cumin and sweaty-old-man leather and a big blast of cat poop currant, all of which combines with the smoky pepper and piney cedar to smell like some sort of incredibly dirty, sweaty, poopy forest. It's weirdly resplendent in its celebration of woodland rot, which makes it interesting, but not exactly easy sniffing.

All told, Bois d'Orage is one of those perfumes that I appreciate but don't really like, so I'm just going to vote neutral and leave it at that.
18th July, 2017
This is a great peppery and green vetiver-based fragrance. I like FL more than FM Vetiver Extraordinaire which is too over the top intense green for my tastes (and others in my family). It's also less green (and opulent and rich) than say, Amouage's Opus VII. From initial to dry down, nothing overpowers. The pepper nicely balances the galbanum and the FM green vetiver notes. It's not too fresh, not too spicy, not too woody, not too green. As another reviewer stated, it's inoffensive. I think this perfectly summarizes French Lover for me. While it's not challenging or daring, it has solid longevity and projection. This could be an all season fragrance, though perhaps not in the hottest days of summer.
08th June, 2017

Add your review of French Lover / Bois d'Orage

Shop for French Lover / Bois d'Orage products online

Search Amazon for French Lover / Bois d'Orage

Member images of French Lover / Bois d'Orage

There are no member images of French Lover / Bois d'Orage yet. Why not be the first?