Cordovan (2007)
    by Banana Republic

Average Rating: 3

Based on 33 ratings

Cordovan information

Cordovan is a men's fragrance by Banana Republic. The scent was launched in 2007

Shop for Cordovan products online

$63.98*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 38.25)
    $43.74*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 26.15)

Reviews of Cordovan

Showing 1 to of 6 reviews.
    positive 5 Positive Reviewsneutral1 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

magnusvonplessen's avatar

I just tried this in the store and it is an almost a direct clone of Emporio Armani 'He'. I haven't yet tried them side by side, but by memory the smell is identical.

I have only seen Emporio's fragrance at the Emporio store and at the Giorgio Armani Beauty website. They no longer carry it at Macy's or Bloomingdale's which makes me think they are taking it out of production. If that is the case I might end up buying this but there is something just a little off about this one...Too powdery? Something dowdy in here...can't tell what it is.

Also the name and bottle are terrible. Cordovan sounds like a prescription drug. I can hear the advertising voice-over saying "Don't take Cordovan if you have a history of..."

And the bottle is cheap and ugly in my opinion. I would feel gross seeing this on my bureau-top. I can't imagine spritzing myself with this before going out. Also the gun metal cap had me wondering if it was a wink to the Emporio Armani gun metal bottle.

03 November, 2012

Bigsly's avatar

This is a well-blended fragrance that has no "rough edges." Also, it does not start off very strong, and so "power frag" guys might be disappointed. The projection ("sillage") is never very strong, but it is persistant and quite pleasant. Longevity, on the other, is excellent. This is one to wear at the shirt line, to maximize the projection. As to the actual smell, the fig is clearly present and I think most would geuss that it has bergamot in it. It doesn't start out all that promising, but when a slightly "synthetic" quality burns off (or you get used to it), it is a very pleasant fragrance that I would use for just about any occasion, though I could see how many might call it an "office fragrance." I could also see comparisons to fragrances like Bvlgari Pour Homme or Valenti's 101 for men, but this doesn't have tea or anisic qualities. I prefer this one, though, because unlike the other two, this one doesn't bore me, even after several hours.

14 November, 2009

I hesitated to get this one for testing because I do not like leather fragrances, but the other reviewers spoke more about woods than leather, so I guessed that this might be safeÖ It is.

It took me a while to smell the notes and accords in Cordovan. Itís not a strong fragrance, and what little I get from it smells more synthetic than anything else; however, itís not an annoying synthetic note Ė itís typical of the notes of several of the popular modern fragrances and I find it quite agreeable. The green of the opening and middle is seriously understated. I donít actually smell the nutmeg that is supposed to be in the heart notes, but I do detect a warmth in the background that could very well be a soft nutmeg note. No discernible leather to me from the base, and the woods are very quiet. Like most skin scents, it has poor longevity. This is a pleasant skin scent and I like it enough to give it a hesitant thumbs upÖ Banana Republic does good stuff.

21st October, 2009

drummerboy20's avatar

I have to agree with Sir Slarty, when he said it was really nice on clothes, too. An office scent that could be considered a little "sexy" but not overbearing to make your co-workers hold their noses in disgust.

22 January, 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

What I would call "black" woods and spices with a underlayer of leather. An excellent smelling "skin scent". Not much projection but as you move around during the day it wafts up into your nose and gives you a great feeling of warming comfort. Really nice on clothes, too. An office scent that could be considered a little "sexy" but not overbearing to make your co-workers hold their noses in disgust.

01st January, 2009

guynspfld's avatar

The closest thing I have come to Abercrombie and Fitch Woods! AWESOME!!

03 November, 2007

Banana Republic Cordovan For Men Spray Vial sample x 4
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 20 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    BANANA REPUBLIC~CORDOVAN~ EAU DE TOILETTE 1.7 FL.OZ UNBOXED!!!
    • Time Left: 24 days