Charogne (2007)

Year of Launch2007

HouseEtat Libre d'Orange
PerfumerShyamala Maisondieu

About Charogne

Charogne is a shared / unisex perfume by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Shyamala Maisondieu

Reviews of Charogne

Shycat Show all reviews
Instascrub.
05th October, 2018
I expected more. I wanted it to smell so unmistakably like rotting flesh. Instead I get flowers and some dank.
It takes a while to appreciate, and I get that, I just wanted more upfront.

So my verdict is this: more like a morgue than rotting carcass. Also more wearable than I expected. Thumbs up for originality and daring to make this. Just left me wanting, that's all.
24th November, 2016
Decaying beauty. Somehow noble, somehow beautiful, unsettling.

I'm sure most who deal with bodies - morgues, coroners, doctors, etc - recognize the unsettling sweet aspect of decomposition. I once discovered a family friend who had died in his living room the prior day. I was unprepared for the sickly sweet chemical aroma that hung over the closed room. There was no rotting flesh smell - I suppose the process wasn't far enough along for that. It seems one of the first acts of the body was to create sugar gasses - at least that's what the room smelled like to me. I've never forgotten that smell. Charogne has this.

Charogne has beautifully rich intense, dense florals thickly overlaying ominous sweet and eventually hard-to-avoid indoles. With Charogne you cannot have the beauty without the sense of its dissolution swimming in the background. To me, it makes it's beauty more poignant and more grand. But wearing this fragrance you must live with this fact. It's not something one would always wish to wear, but when you do it gives it a depth that is hard to come by through a fragrance that is only about the beautiful.
13th June, 2015
low sillage, low duration.. a chemical leather ...unforgettable its incredibly high price tag!
09th November, 2014
At the first sniff: vanillin, ginger, a salty note, incense (well, sort of...), ambrettolide, tonka, a white-silky floral accord dusty and nice even if a bit dull, then tiny fruity hints which I guess are due to red pepper, finally suede (needless to say the leather note is a depressing, ready-made plain safraleine note). Overall a sweet-salty, chemical scent, with not enough creativity or elegance or whatever to turn this into a positive feature. This does not mean it's bad or stinky, it actually smells nice, mediocrely nice and clean. The only point of interest in my opinion is a musky-salty note vaguely "animalic" too that makes this close to a "salty sweaty skin" feeling, but as the rest is quite a big yawn, it's not enough for me. Nothing new, nothing deep, nothing provocative, nothing interesting... as most part of Eld'O scents and their trendy and derivative "avantgardeness", like an Italian way of saying goes: "nothing mixed with nothing".

09th July, 2014
Genre: Leather

Now here's one Etat Libre d'Orange scent that lives up to its kooky name and description. Charogne opens with an olfactory assault of very ripe cheese, white flowers, and lavender. I like it!

The sort of foetid note that lurks in the background of such "dirty" florals as Une Fleur de Cassie and Jardin du Nil is front-and-center here. The note reminds me of a bulldog: so ugly that it's actually beautiful in its own perverse way.

I think that what I'm smelling here is pure, isolated indole, torn free of the white flower gown it wears as part of jasmine accords. It's unquestionably stinky, in an animalistic way, but it's also sultry, hypnotic, and even a touch addictive. In this respect it isn't too far removed from white truffle, with much the same grotty, yet delicious quality to it. I keep coming back to it, like a fly to a carrion-scented blossom, so I suppose the name "Charogne" is apt!

Once I get past the stinky note I detect a bouquet of heady white flowers and the merest touch of smoky leather in an accord that allies Charogne with this house's less adventurous Vierges & Toreros. (Vierges & Toreros less adventurous? Yes, this is that weird!) If the aim here was to provoke, then it has been achieved - in spades! If it's ever widely sniffed, this scent will surely generate as much controversy as Kingdom or Black Orchid, both of which also work the combination of floral notes and mammalian reek.

Vanilla reveals itself in the base, alongside the increasingly conspicuous leather, the two making the entire composition sweeter over time. The drydown showcases vanilla, leather, and a dirty animalic musk that steps in for the foetid middle note.

So, is it wearable? I'm not sure. And if it is I'm not sure when or where. What I can say is that Charogne is compelling enough that I'll have to take some time to ponder it.
11th June, 2014

Add your review of Charogne

Shop for Charogne products online

Shop for Charogne at online perfumeries

Etat Libre d'Orange Charogne Eau de Parfum Spray, 16 X 10ml 0.3 fl.oz

Charogne by Etat Libre d'Orange Eau De Parfum 1.7 oz Spray

End Date: Sunday Jan-6-2019 16:18:26 PST
Buy It Now for only: $90.00

Member images of Charogne

There are no member images of Charogne yet. Why not be the first?