L'Instant Magic (2007)

PerfumerRanda Hammami
PerfumerSylvaine Delacourte
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Instant Magic

L'Instant Magic is a feminine perfume by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Sylvaine Delacourte and Randa Hammami

L'Instant Magic fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Instant Magic

Piercing, juicy, citrusy bergamot. Darkish rose & freesia quickly move in. Slight bitterness underneath.
The bitter tinge doesn't last long. This scent becomes almost piercingly sweet, just that "fast". Rose dances. Sweet almond, almost like marzipan shows up then. It zips up from the base tier with musks following close behind.
The almond becomes even stronger in time, with a bit of some fresh-cut wood aromas intermingled. The almond is intriguing and it holds my interest for a few hours.

Floral / almond / baby powder accord, much later. I enjoy this one!
07th October, 2019
Magic mostly smells like benzoin baby powder with a touch of floral almond heliotrope and signature Guerlain greens on top, ending up more amber as vanilla and sandalwood join the powdery benzoin later.

I don't think it's possible to review L'Instant Magic without reviewing Guerlain's entire history and how it fits in.

I can see how vintage Guerlain enthusiasts would find this simplistic compared to the baroque masterpieces so beloved in their catalog, but this is also gorgeously put together with just enough nods to Guerlain's historical grandeur that it's better by leaps and bounds than the cherry marshmallow fluff they've been focused on in the 10 or so years since this came out.

I don't want to artificially down-vote Magic just because it's no Mitsouko, but also don't want to artificially up-vote it just for being better than Mon Guerlain. In the end, I'm voting thumbs up, because I do really like how this is put together. It exists at a point midway between super-powdery barbershop ambers like Caswell Massey's Tricorn and the modern niche nutty richness of Tom Ford's Fucking Fabulous, a mid-point that I find quite delightful.
01st November, 2018
At first I didn’t care for it then a wore a sweater I had sprayed it on a week later and I thought “ What is this?” I figured out it was the sample my SA had sent with my 2018 Muguet purchase so I tried it again. I loved it. Especially the base. I am usually a Parfum/ Extrait snob in Guerlain because I the initial spray of EDP is often off putting. So I bought the Parfum in this an fell in love. Now I purchase from an EBay seller every tester of Parfum he has. We can’t get the Parfum in the US. I wear this one at least once a week. It is a no frills powder with a touch of Almond and earthy wood that lasts forever clothing and in hair. Definitely a female scent.
The base notes are worth the wait❤️
29th October, 2018
"A Baby Powder Bomb With a Bit of (White?) Musk"

Category: Floral Woody Musk

Top Notes: Anise, Bergamot, Lemon.

Heart Notes: Mimosa, Carnation, Violet, Freesia, Rose.

Base Notes: Iris, Sandalwood, Almond, Vanilla, Cedar, Musk.

Projection: Decent

Sillage: Decent

Longevity: Good

The house of Guerlain is unquestionably my favourite house, and I own many, many of its fragrances including the original L'Instant which I quite like and would not hesitate to recommend, so with high expectations I recently added L'Instant Magic, EdP to my collection. I have worn it a few times now, and whilst it is not a "bad" fragrance at all (Jessica Simpson Fancy is MUCH worse), it is not even remotely as nice as I thought it would be, and perhaps this is because the legendary J-P Guerlain did not create this fragrance for the house. Who knows? On the whole, it is a rather synthetic and somewhat linear baby powder with a bit of white musk.

L'instant Magic has a very strong powdery note all the way into the deep dry down. It is not a "make-up" type of powder but a baby powder kind of powder, and it truly dominates this fragrance. Whilst there is nothing wrong with the scent of baby powder, I do not find it very sophisticated, and if I wanted to smell like baby powder, I certainly could do so for a lot less money.

I am truly sorry to say that this fragrance is definitely NOT the usual Guerlain quality, and it is definitely NOT worth the price, and unless you really love the smell of baby powder, you probably will not be too impressed with this fragrance. Instead, and unless you already own them, I recommend you purchase Shalimar, L'Heure Bleue, Samsara, or even the original L'Instant for half the price of Magic and get truly beautiful, sophisticated, and romantic fragrances in the bargain.

It pains me greatly to say it, for after all this is a Guerlain, but I have smelt Bath and Body Works fragrances that are more sophisticated and more compelling than is Magic, e.g. Black Amethyst. Before you commit to spending this much money for Magic, please try to sample it first. You will be glad you did so. I wish I had done so.
05th November, 2016
rbaker Show all reviews
On my skin this is a bergamot-almond scent straight from the beginning, with the focus being on the almond. A pleasant almond, unidimensional and straight without any facets or change over time.

In the drydown a white musky impression is added, which blends in quite nicely with the rest but stays in the background.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and an excellent eleven hours of longevity on my skin.

This is quite a pleasant scent for warmer autumn days, whose strong point consists of the very good performance. Its drawback is the somewhat synthetic nature of the notes, as well as the fact that apart form the almond the rest is ultra-generic. 2.75/5
19th February, 2016
Banal and useless

Pale powdery unoriginal mediocrity at its best.

Pros: Any
Cons: Boring synthetic fruity/floral almondy powder."

18th August, 2013

L'instant Magic by Guerlain 30ml Eau De Parfum Spray 1 oz (Women) CA

End Date: Thursday Feb-27-2020 13:25:05 PST
Buy It Now for only: $127.48
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Guerlain L’Instant Magic Eau de Parfum 3.3oz/100ml (no box)

End Date: Friday Feb-28-2020 16:47:48 PST

New L'instant Magic By Guerlain Eau De Parfum Spray 3.3 Oz For Women

End Date: Monday Mar-2-2020 14:25:06 PST
Buy It Now for only: $73.56
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

L'INSTANT MAGIC BY GUERLAIN PARFUM SPRAY 30 ML/1 FL.OZ. (T)

End Date: Wednesday Mar-4-2020 8:06:07 PST
Buy It Now for only: $249.50

Member images of L'Instant Magic

There are no member images of L'Instant Magic yet. Why not be the first?