Classic 1920 (2005)

Classic 1920 information

Classic 1920 is a unisex fragrance by Bois 1920. The scent was launched in 2005

Shop for Classic 1920 products online

Reviews of Classic 1920

Showing 1 to 6 of 14 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

The top note here is an extremely sweet candied orange, at once bright yet so viscous I feel as if I’m inhaling a jar of marmalade. The citrus syrup persists into the heart of the scent, where it is seasoned with cinnamon and supported by very sweet amber. There are some floral notes floating about as well, predominantly a bright, clean jasmine, but they are very much subsidiary to the sweet stuff.

Christopher Sheldrake made candied orange interesting in his Mandarine-Mandarin for Serge Lutens by marrying it to an animalic ambergris reconstruction, charred spices, and a profoundly strange smoked salt accord, but nothing like that happens here. This is fruit+syrupy amber: bland, two-dimensional, and seriously lacking in balance. In fact, the more I wear it, the more it feels like a cynical über-sweet celebrity fragrance for twelve year old girls. (Mine has better taste than that and wears Tocade.) The drydown, which doesn’t occur soon enough to suit me, is nothing to speak of – just more of that sweet amber and some very crude, artificial smelling woods. (For the record, I’ve used the word “sweet” five times in these two brief paragraphs. Oops – now that’s six!)

11th June, 2014

My_pep_pep's avatar

Well I think this smells good, but it fades away to nothing pretty quickly. At first it's really nice and subtle. There's something papery about it, sometimes amber does that on me so maybe it's the amber. But I dumped an entire 1ml sample on myself and halfway through the day it was barely there. I just wouldn't spend money on something that disappears so quickly, so the lasting power (or lack thereof) makes this a neutral for me.

14 October, 2012

alfarom's avatar

As a fan of Bois 1920 and Odori this review is not going to be easy for me as my disappointment for 1920 Classic is quite consistent. The name 1920 Classic made me think about a sort of signature scent with a classic oriental structure and a solid execution and all I got is a quite conventional and unremarkable fruity oriental.

B1920 opens with a terrifying, sweet and sticky apricot / citrus / osmanthus accord that immediately made me worry about becoming diabetic. After a couple of hours or so the overripe fruit note settles down and sweet amber makes its appearance with no surprise joined by some pale floral patterns, hints of vetiver and woods (?). In this phase Bois 1920 it's almost pleasant but yet too conventional. Overall this is a barely fine fragrance if you're into super sweet fruity compositions but the challenging price tag should be a serious deterrent, anyway. Not for me, sorry!

Fortunately I didn't get much sillage. Very good lasting power, though.

10th June, 2011

LiveJazz's avatar

I'm a little confused by the reviews on this one. Fruity amber? Not on me. The dominant accord on me is spicy. Pepper, ginger, and maybe nutmeg mixes with the light citrus in the opening for a very bracing scent.

Amber is in there, don't get me wrong, but I don't find it cloying at all. It just smooths out the spice and forms a nice relationship with the woody vetiver note that shares the space. Really a lovely scent, and totally appropriate for both sexes.

29 April, 2011

ACYYC's avatar

clean, sophisticated, warm yet crisp. kind of like a more open and straightforward Allure. Starts off strong, and warms down nicely after an uncomplicated development. Excellent. Expensive but worth it.

17 December, 2010

fernwood's avatar

I like this. It makes me happy. Yes it is linear with not much development. Right out of the gate what you see is what you get. Citron vetiver sandalwood and amber. To my nose this is well blended with the sandalwood and amber just holding the sweet citron in check. It's a fine line no doubt and for some it may not work. For me this is a pick me up in a bottle. Reminds me a little of C&E's Nomad but without the stronger sandalwood. Not much projection stays close to the skin just for you and your loved ones. Meraviglioso!

08 September, 2010