No. 5 Eau Première (2007)
by Chanel

No. 5 Eau Première information

Year of Launch2007

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About No. 5 Eau Première

No. 5 Eau Première is a feminine perfume by Chanel. The scent was launched in 2007 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jacques Polge

No. 5 Eau Première fragrance notes

Reviews of No. 5 Eau Première

Wow, a flanker that finally makes sense.
Eau Première has made it possible for me to wear N°5. I was one of those who didn't get on with the original version. The aldehydes were extremely sneezy on me, a misery really. And I wasn't enchanted by it anyway. The floral-animalic mix was always a little funky on me.
I definitely smell the original in Eau Première, but the funky note never came out. It works, both as a spin-off and on it's own. It is light but elegant, sparkling, sophisticated, right for day or night.
Of course, I'm not getting the original N°5 experience with this, and I'm not won over by it because I can finally have that because I don't need it, and this isn't it. But the N°5 vibe is definitely there - the perfumer was able to lighten it to success. What I was looking for was a light fragrance with a classic sensibility, and I was looking to be beguiled. Eau Première did both and I think it's a winner. But saying this, it's hard to deny the power of the name. It's one downside is longevity. As everyone said it doesn't last much beyond 4 hours.
14th March, 2015 (last edited: 25th March, 2015)
No. 5 light: similar aldehyde-neroli opening, the rose a bit less opulent, the same sandal and musky-vanilla towards the end - lovely, less grand but a less rich alternative. Enjoyable, moderate sillage, good projection and five hours of longevity on my skin. 4/5
08th January, 2015
Genre: Floral

To describe Eau Première as No. 5 after a facelift might be accurate, but it’s not entirely fair. Eau Première is nicer than that - not so much the product of plastic surgery as the original seen in a magic glass that peels away some of its weight and age to show the young girl inside the woman. The lines are smoothed over, yet the bones are if anything more visible, and the familiar contours are still there. Is the iconic No. 5 formula diminished in this greener, fruitier variation? To a degree, yes; but not without some compensating gains. Everything is lighter and more effervescent, even if there is a little less substance, a little less character remaining. The peach and aldehydes are intact, though obviously brightened, in the top notes, and the unmistakable spicy, lactonic, jasmine-centered floral heart accord appears where it’s expected. Only this time out it’s plainly less plush and powdery than in previous incarnations.

Eau Première is not only brighter, but fresher than the familiar No. 5, mostly because its floral accord is lighter on the indole, and because it lacks the subtle animalic accents among the base notes. It’s in that sanitized drydown that Eau Première may disappoint admirers of the original No. 5: the new scent does lack some warmth, depth, and longevity by comparison.

21st June, 2014
A simplified, but not dumbed-down version of No 5. It's got those legendary sparkling lemon champagne topnotes, but demure and soapy instead of loud and powdery. There's a thick mix of flowers and vague peachskin that comes in underneath, supported and made rich with soapy musks and hints of creamy wood. It doesn't have the ridiculously luxurious base that makes No 5 extrait so over-the-top, but it still feels fully fleshed out and richer than your average perfume.

Thumbs up, of course, but I'd never reach for this over No 5 extrait. The extrait is the dictionary definition of a perfect legendary perfume. Even if it feels a bit formal, who cares? It's basically the best perfume ever made (or at least in the top 3), so I'm kind of surprised by the number of perfume aficionados who are happy to find a de-clawed version.

As an aside, I really like Chanel No 5 soap and, if you're familiar with it, the smell of the soap is much closer to Eau Premier than the classic No 5.
23rd January, 2014
Fantastic stuff!

Modern and delightful, very very elegant, a rich drydown of ylang ylang and vanilla, a lot less powdery and aldehydic than the original one. I would recommend to try this one even to those who don't appreciate the classic version.

09th September, 2013
I wanted to be able to wear one of the versions of No. 5 and have tried the EDT, the EDP, and Eau Premiere. The only one I have found to be unisex enough for me to wear comfortably is Eau Premiere (I am not the kind of guy that is usually shy about wearing "women's" fragrances, I own many of them and wear them frequently).
This one opens with a blast of Aldehydes (of course not neary as much as you get with the original) that is gorgeous then it softens down into some light florals and a bit of musk. It does wear closer to the skin than any of the other versions I have tried and the longevity is not as good as the original. I only get about 4 - 5 hours out of it, but for the price I'll settle for 5 hours of this fantastic scent.
26th March, 2013

Add your review of No. 5 Eau Première

Shop for No. 5 Eau Première products online

Shop for No. 5 Eau Première at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for No. 5 Eau Première

Member images of No. 5 Eau Première

There are no member images of No. 5 Eau Première yet. Why not be the first?