L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille (2007)
by Guerlain

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille information

Year of Launch2007

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Guerlain say:

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a luminous fragrance: golden vanilla dazzles us with its multiple facets and incredible splendour, far from sweet and childlike insipidity. A stunning composition in which each raw material recalls the journey, the long crossings by boat, in which the wood of the hull melds with that of the rum barrels and spice boxes.

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

A little spice and smoke mixed with vanilla frosting. Definitely smells like a gourmand. Also reminds me of a vanilla candle burning. Most vanilla scents are unisex to me and this one is no different.

Seems best for cold months. Projects very well but isn't overly heavy. Longevity is also excellent.

03rd March, 2018
Deep, dark Vanilla...

Now, I must start by saying that I have tried the other fragrance that this is compared to, and I really can't find much difference between them! I'm referring of course to Le Couvent des Minimes - Cologne of the Missions.

What I will say, is that Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a much darker fragrance. The rum, balsams and tobacco really add depth to this fragrance. The performance and longevity are good and it lasts for most of the day with me (but is not the strongest). I don't find this one completely gourmand however. I think it's very wearable in many different scenarios (all year round).

I find the fragrance great for people who love the house of Guerlain as it has their signature vanilla accord. I think gourmand lovers would also like it as well, however for everyone else I think there are other fragrances that do what this does, and which come close to what this does, for less. In that regard, unless someone is a collector or a fan of Guerlain, I can't see this being worth a full purchase. I do recognise that this was a big hit for Guerlain and many people loved it when it came out, but I feel that gourmand and oriental fragrances now are diverse enough with vanilla that you can get more value for what you pay for in terms of a vanilla fragrance. It's a great fragrance though, that is for sure.
28th February, 2018
This is not your average sweet vanilla. The opening is weird, even off-putting. I thought my sample had gone wrong. Old vinegar, leather... But after reading the reviews, I know it isn't. Then it settles. It's vanilla maturated in rum maturated in wood. It smells so much like the real vanilla, but with a twist. I can't wait to get a full bottle. Longevity is good, sillage is moderate. And it does something great on me: I think it's gone, and then some minutes later I smell it intensely for one breath or two.
07th April, 2017 (last edited: 11th April, 2017)
A Dark, boozy & warm vanilla scent.

This is my favorite vanilla based fragrance.
This fragrance is not overly sweet as some other vanilla fragrances. It comes off slightly smoky, warm and boozy. there is a hint of pepper and smoke on top and some benzoin and woods in the base. the vanilla is present throughout the lifetime of the scent.
The longevity is excellent on this but the projection and silage are moderate.
Performance: 8/10

Overall score: 9.0/10
10th November, 2016
SDV is a nice, slightly boozy vanilla perfume that has a luxurious, golden sparkle to it. I used to own a full bottle of it, until I realized that it bored the living daylights out of me every time I wore it, so I sold it. Don’t get me wrong – I think it’s beautifully done. But it is simply not interesting, or dark, or boozy enough to hold my attention.

The opening of SDV is pretty arresting – a sugary, sparkling rum brought into being by the meeting of pink pepper, vanilla, and woods. But then there is a long period of time when the sourish, pickled tones of the cedar predominate on my skin, and I don’t enjoy that. In its final stages, a warm golden vanilla-custard glow is set free about my person and I admit that it smells wonderful. But so does Shalimar. And I am not crazy enough about straight-up vanilla to spend $300 on what turns out to be the vanilla component of a more evolved (and cheaper) fragrance.

Recognizing the limits of my need, I sold my bottle of SDV and have contented myself ever since with two types of vanilla fragrances – first, the type you buy in vats and hose yourself down in (until dripping wet) before you go to bed, or for layering purposes (these include Molinard Vanille and Cologne des Missions), and second, the type of vanilla fragrances that do something more interesting with vanilla.

In the latter category, I love Eau Duelle for its fresh black tea and frankincense angle, Vanille Tonka for its lime and carnation smokiness, Mona di Orio Vanille for a dark, woody vanilla sodden with booze, and occasionally, Bois de Vanille, which is mostly licorice allsorts on me. Oh, and Shalimar. But Shalimar is more than just vanilla.
26th September, 2016
Great scent - I usually break this out around October when it cools off. Strong vanilla and tobacco. Lots of positive comments. Kids say I smell like cupcakes. Ill take that.
22nd April, 2016

Add your review of L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Shop for L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille products online

Oops! Unable to talk to eBay. Let us know if this problem persists

Member images of L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

There are no member images of L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille yet. Why not be the first?

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille News