L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille (2007)
by Guerlain

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille information

Year of Launch2007

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Guerlain say:

Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a luminous fragrance: golden vanilla dazzles us with its multiple facets and incredible splendour, far from sweet and childlike insipidity. A stunning composition in which each raw material recalls the journey, the long crossings by boat, in which the wood of the hull melds with that of the rum barrels and spice boxes.

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille fragrance notes

Reviews of L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

This is not your average sweet vanilla. The opening is weird, even off-putting. I thought my sample had gone wrong. Old vinegar, leather... But after reading the reviews, I know it isn't. Then it settles. It's vanilla maturated in rum maturated in wood. It smells so much like the real vanilla, but with a twist. I can't wait to get a full bottle. Longevity is good, sillage is moderate. And it does something great on me: I think it's gone, and then some minutes later I smell it intensely for one breath or two.
07th April, 2017 (last edited: 11th April, 2017)
A Dark, boozy & warm vanilla scent.

This is my favorite vanilla based fragrance.
This fragrance is not overly sweet as some other vanilla fragrances. It comes off slightly smoky, warm and boozy. there is a hint of pepper and smoke on top and some benzoin and woods in the base. the vanilla is present throughout the lifetime of the scent.
The longevity is excellent on this but the projection and silage are moderate.
Performance: 8/10

Overall score: 9.0/10
10th November, 2016
SDV is a nice, slightly boozy vanilla perfume that has a luxurious, golden sparkle to it. I used to own a full bottle of it, until I realized that it bored the living daylights out of me every time I wore it, so I sold it. Don’t get me wrong – I think it’s beautifully done. But it is simply not interesting, or dark, or boozy enough to hold my attention.

The opening of SDV is pretty arresting – a sugary, sparkling rum brought into being by the meeting of pink pepper, vanilla, and woods. But then there is a long period of time when the sourish, pickled tones of the cedar predominate on my skin, and I don’t enjoy that. In its final stages, a warm golden vanilla-custard glow is set free about my person and I admit that it smells wonderful. But so does Shalimar. And I am not crazy enough about straight-up vanilla to spend $300 on what turns out to be the vanilla component of a more evolved (and cheaper) fragrance.

Recognizing the limits of my need, I sold my bottle of SDV and have contented myself ever since with two types of vanilla fragrances – first, the type you buy in vats and hose yourself down in (until dripping wet) before you go to bed, or for layering purposes (these include Molinard Vanille and Cologne des Missions), and second, the type of vanilla fragrances that do something more interesting with vanilla.

In the latter category, I love Eau Duelle for its fresh black tea and frankincense angle, Vanille Tonka for its lime and carnation smokiness, Mona di Orio Vanille for a dark, woody vanilla sodden with booze, and occasionally, Bois de Vanille, which is mostly licorice allsorts on me. Oh, and Shalimar. But Shalimar is more than just vanilla.
26th September, 2016
Great scent - I usually break this out around October when it cools off. Strong vanilla and tobacco. Lots of positive comments. Kids say I smell like cupcakes. Ill take that.
22nd April, 2016
Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille is a superb vanilla composition, occupying a space somewhat less boozy than Tauerville's Vanilla Flash but less floral than Dame Perfumery's Black Flower Mexican Vanilla.

I do get some incense and cedar but the other notes escape me. For me, SDV is overwhelmingly vanilla and it is the vanilla that shines through well into the dry down over any other aspects.

I agree with the consensus that this leans toward colder weather use, but it's the type of vanilla (not too gourmandish) that makes it accessible in warmer weather, as well, though I imagine fewer sprays are desired. Versatile as well in gender, while it seems to me marketed more toward women, this is surely unisex and a gem for men like me that enjoy sweeter fragrances in general and vanilla-based fragrances specifically.

Strong on projection and longevity, this is a classy expression of vanilla that needs to be tried, perhaps the best I've come across so far. Obviously pricier ($260 for 75ml) than brethren like Vanilla Flash ($63 for 30ml) or Dame BFMV ($65 for 50ml), SDV is worth trying to see if you prefer it.

9 out of 10
08th December, 2015
Salutation.

A elusive and heavy vanillic scent evoking thae juxtaposition of harmony with the intensity of recklessness.GUERLAIN capturing the creative dynamic and magnetic femininity of a modern woman.it is perfectly rich and irresistible scent.a must have for those addicted smoky vanilla and highly recommended if you need something unique.bold yet an elegant perfume at the same time in a special and intense composition. Glamorous,Seductive, Expensive,Deep, Smoky,Unisex,Sultry,Addictive,Wintry and Headstrong Passion.

Within the perfume,the spicy vibrant notes fuse with a dark, sensual and smoky vanilla to reveal a tenacious incense signature.incense remains the backbone of the perfume and allows the other notes to surround it.this perfume is great from start to finish to me as it has a mystery and insolent composition that has much more oomph than nowadays perfumes that often has just gorgeous packaging while the scents has another story. this EDP makes a lasting impression when you smell it on someone who is wearing it.an absolute stunning.

Sillage?Pleasant.

Longevity?Very Good on my skin.

7.25/10
13th June, 2015

Add your review of L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Shop for L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille products online

Search Amazon for L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Member images of L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille

There are no member images of L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille yet. Why not be the first?

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille News